QuickBooks accounting software is integrated with features to track inventory, business expenses, and client data. Sometimes, when the bank balance showed is incorrect balance, QuickBooks may present you with warnings and errors. Thus it is very important to know how to correct opening balance in QuickBooks with your bank.
If there is an improper transactions input, missing debits, and credits, or an inaccurate opening balance, it may cause discrepancies between the actual bank balance and QuickBooks reports. Hence, it is important to correct when such situations occur.
To solve the issue, you have to make an adjustment in the opening balance when creating the accounts. You also have to alter the ending balance or make correction of the totals if an incorrect transaction has been entered. When you resolve these issues, run the reconcile report in order to update the changes.
How to Correct Opening Balance in QuickBooks?
The following steps provide you with a simple process to edit and reconcile the bank balance to reproduce the correct bank balance.
Step 1: Correct Opening Balance
- Go to Company menu, and click on Make General Journal Entries.
- Give the correct date and unit of the opening balance, and then click on Save.
- Open the menu Banking and select Reconcile.
- Click on Account and drop-down the menu, and point out the account that has inaccurate opening balance.
- Click on the Statement Date, and select the date matching the journal entry created before. Then, click on the Ending Balance, and enter the ending balance likewise.
- Go to the section Deposits and Other Credits and click on Continue and then Journal Entry.
- Click on the Reconcile Now
Step 2: Correct the Ending Balance and Reconcile Accounts
- Go to Banking menu and select Reconcile.
- Select Now drop-down the menu and choose the account with wrong ending balance or the transaction that needs to reconcile.
- Select Ending Balance field and type in the accurate ending balance
- Click on Continue so that the registered balance is updated
- From the section Deposits and Other Credits, choose all the items matching the bank account statement.
- Click on the Reconcile Now, in case you have added up the transactions indifference of zero. If not, just click on Leave.
- Go to Banking menu and click on Use Register.
- Click on Select Account and drop-down the menu, and click on the account indicating incorrect balance, and then click on
- Select those items whose amount does not match the bank statement. If you want to change the amounts select Edit Deposit or if you want to eliminate the transaction select Delete Deposit.
- Type in the missing transactions in the bank register if any. Ensure that you use the right date of the deposit or payment that is missing as according to the bank account statement.
- Go to Window menu, and click on Reconcile – Account Name.
- Verify that the new item entered into the register is matching with the bank statement, and then click on Reconcile Now.
Dial for instant support for QuickBooks at 1800-865-4183 tollfree.
Following these steps, you will be able to know how to correct opening balance in QuickBooks. However, if you still need additional service regarding this issue then call at QuickBooks Support Customer Care Number or mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach us via Live Chat Support available on our website. We provide the best services.