If you are new to using QB then let us teach you how to enter payroll expenses in QuickBooks. Recording entries like expenses in QuickBooks on a timely basis can help you yield great results.
This will help you see a clear picture of all your financials and can allow you to make shrewd business decisions.
Enter Payroll Expenses in QuickBooks Accounting
For some, entering payroll expenses within QuickBooks is a task. Well, it is not hard to figure out, why this is so. The reason for their confusion is that they don’t use QuickBooks payroll in the first place. Going with the third-party software and then trying to integrate the data in QB bring challenges for them. Thus if you are not using QuickBooks payroll then we suggest that you do, but if budget is of concern; then follow the steps to manually enter payroll expenses in QB.
How to Manually Enter Payroll Expenses in QuickBooks?
When you are not using Quickbooks payroll services to automate your employee’s payroll then automating payroll expenses is out of the question. But Quickbooks still allows you to pass manual transactions. You just need to turn on the manual payroll functionality and this is how you can do that:
- Login to your QuickBooks company file and on the top navigation bar, click on help.
- Choose QuickBooks help from the drop-down menu.
- Now a dialogue will appear. Within the search box, type how to enter payrolls manually.
- From the list of options that will now appear, click on what says “Enter payroll expenses manually (without QuickBooks payroll subscription)”.
- Scroll down the article and click on the link that says “Manual payroll calculations”, and this will open a different dialogue box.
- On the bottom of the screen of your new window, click on the tab displaying, “Setup my company files for manual transactions”.
- Click Ok if you see any warning message and your manual payroll functionality will now be active. If you were already using QuickBooks payroll subscription services then now you may consider canceling.
- Click on the message that reads, “Enter paycheck amount and expenses manually”.
- As now, that you start to enter payroll expenses, you will see payroll items added to your list menu.
- With the help of the payroll items, you would be able to process payroll and taxes the same way as you would have processed by having a payroll subscription. Generally, your payroll tax will remain constant, because they don’t change frequently. Thus breathe easy on this. But if they do change then you would need to compute them while processing your taxes.
A shortcoming of not using QuickBooks Payroll
By using manual functionality for entering payroll expenses, you are generally all by yourself (without any help). But this is not the case with QuickBooks payroll as you get all the help you need under one platform.
The biggest disadvantage of not using QB payroll is that you will not be able to print payroll tax forms. Just to let you know, this functionality is provided by QuickBooks to its payroll subscribers by default. When you are not able to print forms in the first place then there would be no more automated filing of taxes. You would have to report them yourself using EFTPS.
Thus, if you have decided to go manual then we would suggest going with caution.
If you need any further help on “How to enter payroll expenses in QuickBooks” then give us a call and talk to our QuickBooks Experts now.