It’s not easy to understand QuickBooks and we totally understand that. This is why we have come out with the question of how to “Write Off Bad Debt in QuickBooks PRO and QuickBooks Online“.
It’s an unfortunate part of running a business but every so often you get those stinky customers that decide that they’re not going to pay for your services. So after you have kind of exhausted all of your possibilities of trying to collect and get your money back using ways:
- You’ve called them you’ve emailed them,
- You’ve tried to work out payment plans etc
And after you know a couple of months or a year you kind of realize they’re not going to pay you’re not going to be able to collect this you can write these off. This can be easily done by getting them off your books of accounts.
How to Write Off Bad Debt in QuickBooks PRO and QuickBooks Online
So let’s see how to write off bad debt in QuickBooks. Follow these simple steps and you will be able to do that with ease. Please make sure that the steps provided below involve a bit of a technicality, thus if you are not able to get yourself through then reach out for technical help.
- Head over to the reports section.
- Click on the customers and receivables tab.
- Open the invoices tab and you will now see all the open invoices within your business. These are all the customers that currently owe you money.
We’re going to look for the one that we want to write off. Now that you have figured out that you are not going to be able to collect on this invoice, for e.g. its invoice number 148 from ABC Corp and the amount is $1465 so what we’re going to do is write him off.
- We’re going to come up to the customer’s tab.
- Now create credit memos and refunds and we’re going to enter the company’s name, ABC Corp.
- Put the date when you want to write off bad debt
- Provide the credit number.
- Now choose the item that is set up for bad debt.
- Enter the details and provide the description of which has caused the bad debt.
- Put in the amount that has remained noncollectable. Enter the amount in the bad debt account.
- Click on OK
- Since the item that you sold, the amount of which is now not recovered, thus you will have to change the item from taxable to non-taxable.
- This way you won’t have a sales tax liability on you.
- Hit save and close to update the transaction.
- The moment you will do that, you will encounter a pop-up that says “you’ve got a remaining balance on this credit”. What do you want to do with that?
- Since we are writing off Bad Debts, thus you would need to attach the amount to an invoice and click Ok.
Congratulations, you have successfully written bad debts. If you followed the steps as it is then you may now know how to write off bad debt in QuickBooks.
But if you have faced any problems while going through the process above then it’s time that you should connect with QuickBooks Consultant at their toll-free number.