How to not apply a payment in QuickBooks?
What are Unapplied Payments in QuickBooks?
Unapplied payment means that you performed the function of receiving payment, and it is not “attached” to an invoice. Though this is the general definition of Unapplied payments today we will learn in more depth of “How to not apply for a payment in QuickBooks”.
For Bookkeepers if a customer made an entry for their payments but if they forgot to apply the same to their accounts payable then QB will have a major role to play. They will help you apply the unapplied payments by matching them with the proper invoices. All you need to do is review them. To do this just follow the steps:
Select Reports -> Customers & Receivables -> Open Invoices from the menu bar. This should be done from the start to make any adjustments.
This is an important step if you have more AR in your COA’s.
How to apply Unapplied Payments?
If you want to apply an Unapplied Payment, you are supposed to make an Invoice to apply the payment follow the steps mentioned below:
- Create (+) > Invoice under the heading of the customers
- Enter all of the information to make the Invoice match the Unapplied Payment
- Click Save
- Select Receive Payment in the top right-hand corner
- Find the Credits section and select the Unapplied Payment
- Select Save and Close
- Once you have completed these steps the payment will be applied and then Closed.
How to Fix Unapplied Payments?
To fix your issue, just simply follow the steps below:
- If you make any alteration which is part of your dated review section then: Go to the menu bar -> choose to make a selection on the Accountants tab, and then click on the data review button. Then launch the Fix Unapplied Customer Payments and Credits task in the Accounts Receivable group.
- If you have failed to completely change the parts: If this is so then you will again have to again head over to the Menu Bars tab. Choose Bookkeepers button and choose to alter any unapplied payments.
- Review the details of your AR account. This should be done if you are using more than 1 AR at a time.
- From the list of the customers displayed, choose any of them: If you want to view invoices related to these very customers then just look to your left and all the related charges will be on your screen. You will also be able to see if you have any unapplied payments or open invoices related to them.
- Now click on the radio button along side payments. This you can find on the left of your screen. Simultaneously also check the box that says “Related invoices”.
- If only the part of the credit needs to be applied then choose to allocate only the partial amount.
- Choose Apply and your payments will be applied. At this point all the items that are assigned will be greyed out.
- Click Save and head over to a different record. If you are done then click close and exit the window.
The steps given above will help you sort your query “How to not apply a payment in Quickbooks”. If by any chance you were not able to follow the steps above then let us know in the comment section below. For instant help, give us a call now and resolve your issue right away.
Still in Doubt…!
Request a Call Back
Talk to our Quickbooks Proadvisor and resolve your issue over a phone call.