One such QuickBooks error that is commonly reported by the users is software “QuickBooks the File you Specified Cannot be Opened” mentioned by the user.
QuickBooks, the well-designed business accounting software maintains its top position among accounting software with the strong features and enhanced features with every release of the product. The software automates the business functionalities and makes the work process quick and accurate. But there are some unfortunate times when QuickBooks shows errors while performing certain commands.
Error Message you see: When you approach your QuickBooks company file you see this error message on your computer.
“The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists“
- 1 How does the QuickBooks the File you Specified Cannot be Opened Error Occur
- 2 How to Resolve QuickBooks the File you Specified Cannot be Opened Problem
- 3 Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
How does the QuickBooks the File you Specified Cannot be Opened Error Occur
QuickBooks encounters this problem at the time of installing payroll updates, or when opening state or federal forms. You may also face this error when paying scheduled liabilities.
How to Resolve QuickBooks the File you Specified Cannot be Opened Problem
The best possible way to resolve the issue is to restart the system and toggle the Account settings. This may itself resolve the issue but if you continue to face the bug then QuickBooks may need repair.
When you resolve this issue you have to open a sample file. In case the sample file returns the same error message, you will have to restart your computer considering your Windows version.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Step for Windows Vista Users:
🔹 Go to Windows and click on the Control Panel tab.
🔹 Now choose to click on the user accounts and family safety tab.
🔹 Choose User Accounts. This you can find in the User Account window.
🔹 Click on the link with a message, Turn Account Control on/off.
🔹 If in case the UAC tab check box is selected, then choose to clear it and then hit OK.
🔹 Restart the Computer in case you are prompted.
🔹 Follow the above steps and make sure the checkbox beside is cleared.
● Choosing the check box displays the message “The file you specified cannot be opened.
● Assure that it is not used by another program or a read-only file.”
● In case you get a notification to restart the computer you can click Restart Now.
● Windows Vista users can click the QuickBooks shortcut >> choose Run as Administrator.
Step for the Windows 7 Users:
🔹 On your windows desktop page, click on the Start button.
🔹 Open up the UAC settings and then hit the control panel.
🔹 Enter UAC in the search box >> click Change User Account Control settings
🔹 Attempt any one of the following:-
● Switch Off your UAC filter: This can be easily done by heading over the UAC tab and making the slider to the Never notify button. Hit Ok when you are done. Please make sure that here you will be notified of admin access. Thus supply with the required info and reboot your system. This will bring all changes into effect.
● Turn on UAC: You can do this by toggling the roller. Follow the steps above and provide the confirmation for admin access.
🔹 If you continue to receive the message, repair QuickBooks.
🔹 If you continue to receive the message, uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks.
Still, the problem does not get resolved you can call QuickBooks customer care support. The expert support team is easily approachable over the toll-free phone number, email support, or online chat. Thus wait no longer and give a call now. You can even give us a call at our QuickBooks error support and talk to our Proadvisor now.