When you are opening your Sage 50 Company file, you can come across certain situations where your file doesn’t open. This may happen when you see an error message like, “Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File” a required data file is missing“. This error can be seen in the Sage 50 US Edition as well as Sage 50 Canada Edition.
Sage 50 is one of the oldest accounting solutions that is used by most of the small and medium industries for their financial and accounting needs. If this is the kind of problem you are dealing with then Sage 50 Consultant professionals can help you on demand.
You will receive the following error message:
Error Message: Cannot open Company file. The required data is missing.
This error in Sage 50 occurs when you are opening your data file or restoring files or folders from the backup.
Table of Contents
Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File a Required Data File is Missing: Causes
Here are some causes that are responsible for this Sage 50 issue.
- .SAI icon file in Sage 50 is missing.
- .SAI icon file and .SAJ data folder doesn’t have the same name.
- The company file is moved to a different server or system.
- You have not created a multi-user.
- The backup is not done properly.
How to Fix Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File- A required data file is missing
The experts have suggested a few solutions for the Sage 50 issue “Cannot open company file”.
Solution 1: Many people accessing the Company file
- Check for people who are accessing the Sage 50 Company file.
- Go to the location, where you have saved your Sage 50 Data file.
- Check for .SAJ folder and click on the file with the file name process .pid.
- If you are successful in locating this file, then check whether some other user is using the file on a different system with a single-user mode.
Try the hung procedure or you can reboot your system to remove it.
If you are not able to fix your issue Sage 50 Cannot Open Company Files a Required Data File Is Missing, following the steps above then move on to the 2nd solution step.
Solution 2: The .SAI or .SAJ file is missing
- Check whether both the .SAI (Sage 50 icon file) and .SAJ (Sage 50 data folder) are in the same location as your company file.
- In case, any one of them is missing then undo all the recent changes that you have applied.
- If you are unable to perform the undo then it is suggested you restore from your backup file.
Solution 3: Matching Versions
- Click on your Windows Explorer and open your Sage 50 Data file folder.
- Check for your .SAI file and .SAJ folder.
- If your .SAJ folder is missing then restore it from the backup.
- Open your .SAJ folder by double-clicking on the icon.
- Check for a different SAI file/ SAJ folder.
- Check inside the SAJ folder for MySQL and performance_schema in the folder. If they were created inside this folder itself, then check that there are no nested SAJ folders and SAI files present.
- If you have found both the SAJ folder and SAI files then you will have to now create a new folder on your desktop or the local C: drive of your system.
- Move all the files and folders to this newly created folder.
- Now, open the Sage 50 Company file in the Sage 50 Data file.
- Just double-click on the SAI file and your Sage 50 Company file will open.
These steps will easily resolve your problem, Sage 50 Cannot Open Company Files, or company files missing.
If the intensity of the error is just like what we think then the resolution provided above should fix your Sage error. In case, the Sage 50 unable to open company file error persists then you should reach out to Sage 50 Consultant professionals.