Today, in this blog, we will discuss Sage 50 troubleshooting steps to fix “Sage 50 unable to open company file“. Sage users face many errors with Sage 50 or open company file at the end of the conversion.
Among these, the most frequent is Sage 50, which cannot open company file error. This problem occurs and interrupts mainly at the end of or during the conversion process.
Speak to a Specialist about Your Sage Software
Get instant assistance with Sage accounting software. Our Sage experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of Sage 50 Software.We get help you on these Sage 50 topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Main Causes Unable to Open Company File in Sage 50 Software
- 2 Tips to Solving Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File
- 2.1 Steps 1: Incorrect Icon
- 2.2 Steps 2: Run the program in administrator mode
- 2.3 Steps 3: Verify that the MySqld.exe file is not locked in Task Manager
- 2.4 Steps 4: Examine the corrupted files
- 2.5 Steps 5: Resolve the missing files or hidden file
- 2.6 Steps 6: Make sure you have the most recent version of Sage 50
- 2.7 Steps 7: Check the network connectivity
- 2.8 Steps 8: Confirm that you have a private network connection
- 2.9 Steps 9: Verify that the file is on Remote Data Access or Sage Drive
- 3 Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File A Required Data File is Missing
- 3.1 Causes and Reasons Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File a Required Data File is Missing
- 3.2 Tips to Fix the Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File A Required Data File is Missing
- 4 Sage 50 Company Does Not Open When Clicking OK at the Log in Prompt
- 4.1 What are the Reasons behind Sage 50 company does not open when clicking ok at the log in prompt
- 4.2 Tips to Resolve Sage 50 company does not open when clicking ok at the log in prompt
- 4.2.1 Method 1: Run the Application as Administrator
- 4.2.2 Method 2: Data may be Corrupted
- 4.2.3 Method 3: You may have Missing or Hidden Files or Folders
- 4.2.4 Method 4: Your Sage 50 Version has Not been Updated
- 4.2.5 Method 5: Network Connections are Not Working or are Inoperable Down
- 4.2.6 Method 6: Determine whether your Connection is Secure
- 5 Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
- 6.1 What exactly is the “Sage 50 unable to open company file” error?
- 6.2 What are the different ways to fix Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File?
- 6.3 How do you fix the Remote Data Access Sage Company missing files in the SAJ folder?
- 6.4 Why Getting an Error Message Cannot Open Company File?
- 6.5 Why Facing an Error “Unable to Open Company File in Sage 50 Canada Multiple Versions?”
- 6.6 Can we Fix Sage 50 Can’t Open Company File with the Help of Connection Manager?
Main Causes Unable to Open Company File in Sage 50 Software
If you are using the Sage 50 accounting software and you are unable to open company file at the end of or during the conversion process there may be a problem with your connection or file.
- Files that are locked.
- Antivirus could become a barrier for files in the data process.
- Files corrupted.
- The required data file is missing
- Outdated Version of Sage 50.
- The problem of the network.
- Real-time scanning conversion block.
- Windows OS Failed.
- If the network is public.
Tips to Solving Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File
If you are using Sage 50 to open company file at the end of or during the conversion process. You may notice that the software is unable to open the file.
Here is a list of solutions to Sage 50 not being able to open company files.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Steps 1: Incorrect Icon
The steps are as follows:
🔹 Check to see if you’re using the correct application icon.
🔹 If you use the taskbar to access the program, you will need to un-pin and re-pin the new version.
Steps 2: Run the program in administrator mode
Here are the steps you must take:
🔹 First, close Sage 50.
🔹 Right-click on the Sage 50 icon and select Properties.
🔹 Now select the Run as Administrator option.
🔹 Then, open the Company File.
🔹 Now, move the content to a new location on the hard drive and then click on the Add Permissions button.
🔹 The .SAJ folder and the .SAI files must be copied to the C drive.
🔹 Now, in the user permissions settings, add Everyone.
🔹 Make certain that there is no hidden content in the SAJ file folder.
🔹 Open the data file again.
Steps 3: Verify that the MySqld.exe file is not locked in Task Manager
🔹Check that you have in-network coverage and that all users are signed out.
🔹 On the server, look for the Task Manager.
🔹 Check that you have selected the show process from all users.
🔹 Discover the processes option to terminate all Mysqld.exe processes below.
🔹 All processes now retry to open company files on all workstations after they have been closed.
🔹 Check to see if Mysqld.exe is locked. The following are the steps you must take in the Task Manager window.
● Make sure Sage 50 is closed and the Task Manager is open.
● Check whether the show process from all user’s id checkmarks is present; if so, terminate all processes.
Steps 4: Examine the corrupted files
🔹 To begin, restore the corrupted files from backup.
🔹 If you haven’t made a backup and still need to open the company file.
🔹 It is then advised to seek assistance from experienced aspirants to repair the data.
🔹 Now navigate to the Sage 50 company file’s location.
🔹 Locate the .SAJ folder and then examine the required files and folders.
Steps 6: Make sure you have the most recent version of Sage 50
🔹 First, download the most recent updates.
🔹 Manually install the update on the system. It would be in the following directory DIR: Download Sage Software Simply Accounting from C: Users/Public\Documents\Sage Software\Simply Accounting\ Download.
Steps 7: Check the network connectivity
🔹 Check that you have access to the drive to find the data files.
🔹 If you are executing files across the network and do not require access to the mapped network drive, or if you have incorrect mapping or a lost connection.
Steps 8: Confirm that you have a private network connection
🔹 Find the network connection icon.
🔹 Right-click on it and select Properties.
🔹 Select the network and sharing option.
🔹 Check that the network displays private/work/domain/home rather than public.
🔹 If it says “public,” change it to “private.”
Steps 9: Verify that the file is on Remote Data Access or Sage Drive
Download the file again from Remote Data Access. The steps are as follows:
🔹 Find the Welcome screen.
🔹 Connect to a shared company by clicking the Connect button.
🔹 Select the appropriate company checkbox.
🔹 Click the Connect button.
Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File A Required Data File is Missing
When you are opening your Sage 50 Company file, you can come across certain situations where your file doesn’t open. This may happen when you see an error message like, Sage 50 cannot open company file a required data file is missing when opening a data file or restoring from backup. This error can be seen in the Sage 50 US Edition as well as Sage 50 Canada Edition.
You will receive the following error message…
Error Message: Cannot open Company file a required data is missing
Causes and Reasons Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File a Required Data File is Missing
Here are some causes that are responsible for this Sage 50 issue.
- .SAI icon file in Sage 50 is missing.
- .SAI icon file and .SAJ data folder doesn’t have the same name.
- The company file is moved to a different server or system.
- You have not created a multi-user.
- The backup is not done properly.
Tips to Fix the Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File A Required Data File is Missing
The experts have suggested a few solutions for the Sage 50 issue cannot open company file a required data file is missing when opening a data file or restoring from backup.
Solution 1: Many people accessing the Company file
- Check for people who are accessing the Sage 50 Company file.
- Go to the location, where you have saved your Sage 50 Data file.
- Check for .SAJ folder and click on the file with the file name process .pid.
- If you are successful in locating this file, then check whether some other user is using the file on a different system with a single-user mode.
Solution 2: The .SAI or .SAJ file is missing
- Check whether both the .SAI (Sage 50 icon file) and .SAJ (Sage 50 data folder) are in the same location as your company file.
- In case, any one of them is missing then undo all the recent changes that you have applied.
- If you are unable to perform the undo then it is suggested you restore from your backup file.
Solution 3: Matching Versions
- Click on your Windows Explorer and open your Sage 50 Data file folder.
- Check for your .SAI file and .SAJ folder.
- If your .SAJ folder is missing then restore it from the backup.
- Open your .SAJ folder by double-clicking on the icon.
- Check for a different SAI file/ SAJ folder.
- Check inside the SAJ folder for MySQL and performance_schema in the folder. If they were created inside this folder itself, then check that there are no nested SAJ folders and SAI files present.
- If you have found both the SAJ folder and SAI files then you will have to now create a new folder on your desktop or the local C: drive of your system.
- Move all the files and folders to this newly created folder.
- Now, open Company file in the Sage 50 Data file.
- Just double-click on the SAI file and your Sage 50 Company file will open.
Sage 50 Company Does Not Open When Clicking OK at the Log in Prompt
In this section, we are going to show you how you can fix the Sage 50 does not open company when clicking ok at the log in prompt also causes.
What are the Reasons behind Sage 50 company does not open when clicking ok at the log in prompt
If you’re having difficulties opening your Sage 50 company, there may be a few reasons why.
- Your antivirus software is preventing you from accessing the data.
- Data may be corrupted.
- The Sage 50 version has not been updated.
- Data can be restricted.
- The operating system has not been updated.
- You are unable to connect to your network.
Tips to Resolve Sage 50 company does not open when clicking ok at the log in prompt
If you’re having trouble to open company in your Sage 50 accounting software there is a solution.
Method 1: Run the Application as Administrator
- First and foremost, close the Sage 50.
- Now, go to the Sage icon and right-click it. Select the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Open the company file now.
- Send the data to a new location, and then add permissions to it.
- Locate the .SAI file and the SAJ folder, then copy and paste them to the C drive. Add user permissions for everyone.
- Check that there are no hidden files in the .SAJ folder.
- Finally, try to reopen the company file.
Method 2: Data may be Corrupted
- If the data is corrupt, you must restore it from a backup.
- If you did not restore the data, you must contact Sage professionals and ask them if the data can be restored.
- Navigate to the file location where the company file is stored.
- Locate the .SAJ folder and ensure that all of the necessary files and folders are present.
Method 4: Your Sage 50 Version has Not been Updated
- You must obtain the most recent version of Sage 50.
- Once the Sage 50 latest version has been downloaded, manually install the update, which is located in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Sage Software\Simply Accounting\Download.
Method 5: Network Connections are Not Working or are Inoperable Down
- Check to see if you have access to the drive or location where your files are stored.
- If you keep the file on a network location and are unable to access that location or network drive, you should contact IT professionals right away.
Method 6: Determine whether your Connection is Secure
- Click the Start button.
- Look for the control panel.
- Look for the Network and Internet options.
- Select the Network and Sharing option. Except for public networks, ensure that the network’s status is Private/Work/Home/Domain.
- If it says “public,” change it to “private.”
These are the steps to fix Sage 50 unable to open company file error. However, you may contact Sage 50 Consultants‘ well-versed trained professionals whenever you need any help.
Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
What exactly is the “Sage 50 unable to open company file” error?
Errors are frequently encountered when users attempt to convert from an older version to the most recent Sage version. It happens when they use the correct version to open the data file (Sage 50 Accounts not opening after update), but not the company file.
What are the different ways to fix Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File?
There are several ways to resolve this error, including:
● Inspecting the errorlog.txt file.
● Check the file attributes (no read-only or hidden).
● User Account Control is preventing access.
● Examine the Advanced Database Check log for any errors.
● Turn off Antivirus and Real-Time Scanners.
● Check to see if the SAJ folder contains any duplicate files, etc.
How do you fix the Remote Data Access Sage Company missing files in the SAJ folder?
● You can try downloading the files again from Remote Data Access.
● Use Connect to a shared company in Sage 50 2020.2 and later.
● Then save the file in a new location with a new name, such as Companynamecurrent.sai.
Why Getting an Error Message Cannot Open Company File?
This error message cannot open the company file when you try to open Sage 50 files. Error occurs when another user has opened the company in single-user mode or another user using this program data.
Why Facing an Error “Unable to Open Company File in Sage 50 Canada Multiple Versions?”
This error message Sage 50 Canada unable to open the company file receiving when trying to integrate with Sage 50 Canada.
Can we Fix Sage 50 Can’t Open Company File with the Help of Connection Manager?
Yes, you can fix the Sage 50 Cannot open company file issue with the help of the connection manager.
● On your taskbar, you have to click on the Sage 50 Connection manager icon that is on the bottom right side beside the clock.
● Then you have to click on the Start Service in case the service is stopped
● After that, you have to wait until the Status Running displays Yes.
● Then you have to click Ok and then again you have to open the company file.