QuickBooks is one of the best accounting software available in market, thanks to its simple user interface, rich accounting features, and reliable security add-ons. Every day, thousands of successful business owners are using QuickBooks to stay on top of their finances. However, not everyone can use “QuickBooks like a pro“, especially if you are new at it.
- 1 How to Become a Pro at QuickBooks:
- 1.1 Basics First
- 1.2 Use ProAdvisor
- 1.3 Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Save Time:
- 1.4 Use the Right Click Menus
- 1.5 Customize Your Icon Bar
- 1.6 Use the Find Feature to Locate Transactions Faster
- 1.7 Use QuickMath Calculator
- 1.8 Customize Your Accounts
- 1.9 Create Customer Notes
- 1.10 Use filters to Personalize Reports
- 1.11 Export Reports to Microsoft Excel
- 1.12 Create a QuickBooks Download folder on your Desktop
- 1.13 Use QuickBooks add-ons
- 1.14 Download Data
- 1.15 Back up All Your Data
- 1.16 Secure
- 1.17 Reconcile your accounts regularly
- 1.18 Print Check Directly from QuickBooks
- 1.19 Use Online Banking
- 1.20 Use Memorized Transactions
- 1.21 Pay Bills Using QuickBooks
- 1.22 Set up 1099 Vendors
- 1.23 Restrict User Access
- 1.24 Remove Double Entries and Merge Similar Accounts
- 1.25 Link Your Email to QuickBooks
How to Become a Pro at QuickBooks:
Here are top 25 tips that can help you save time while working on QuickBooks and streamline your business:
Before you try your hands on QuickBooks, check out the ‘Getting Started’ Tutorials. These well-constructed tutorials can help you understand how this accounting software works, along with its basic features.
It is always advisable to seek an expert help when migrating your accounts on QuickBooks. For this, use QuickBooks ProAdvisor, a part of QuickBooks Intuit package that can connect you with an accountant who can help migrate all your company accounts in a safe and secure manner.
Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Save Time:
Here are some QuickBooks shortcuts that can help you save time:
- Ctrl + I : Create invoice
- Ctrl + E : Edit transaction selected in register
- Ctrl + F : Find transaction
- Ctrl + M : Memorize transaction or report
- Ctrl + J : Open customer center
- Ctrl + N : New invoice, bill, check, or list item in context
- Ctrl + Q : Quick Report on transaction or list item
- Ctrl + T : Open memorized transaction list
- Ctrl + W : Write new check
Rather than relying on toolbar every time, it’s best to use right-click menus to save time. For example, if you want to modify an item in the list, simply use the right mouse button. It will display commands for deleting or editing the transaction or creating a Quick Report on the transaction.
Customize Your Icon Bar
This can help you easily navigate to links you need the most. For this,
- Go to View menu
- Click Customize Icon Bar
- Select the icons you wish to add, remove, or modify
- Click OK once you are done.
Use the Find Feature to Locate Transactions Faster
This powerful tool can be used to easily search any transaction-level entry for fast processing. To use the Find feature,
- Go to Edit and click Find in the main navigation bar
- Or click Ctrl + F for quick access
You can also add the Find feature to your icon bar by right clicking on the icon bar and customizing it.
Use QuickMath Calculator
QuickMath calculator allows you to directly calculate inside the field and enter the final amount. For this,
- Click inside the field where you want to calculate
- Press “=” and a mini-tape will appear.
- Type the digits you want to calculate, followed by the appropriate sign (+, -, /, *, or =).
- Click ‘C’ once to clear an entry or twice to clear the tape.
- Press ‘Esc’ to cancel.
Customize Your Accounts
QuickBooks will generate a Chart of Accounts on the basis of details that you have entered during initial setup. Make sure you review all your accounts from time to time to add, delete, or modify items to better suit your business requirements. Click here to know how you can easily create and manage your Chart of Accounts.
Create Customer Notes
QuickBooks customer center has a notes section. You can use this space to make notes of all your communications for quick access. To add a note
- Choose Customer/Invoicing, the Vendor/Supplier/Expenses, or the Employee from the menu on the left
- Select the customer, vendor/supplier, or employee
- Click Edit
- Enter the information into the Note field
- Click Save to save the notes.
Use filters to Personalize Reports
Rather than creating different files, use filters to limit report data to particular criteria. This can help you fine tune your report for better and prompt results. To add or change a filter,
- Click on the Customize report button
- Select the Filter tab
A dialog box will open. The right pane will show the current filters. You can delete or modify them according to your requirements. The left pane will show options to add a new filter. Select the filter you want from the drop-down list. Click Ok to apply your filters.
Export Reports to Microsoft Excel
If you want to do an in-depth analysis of your financial report, it’s best to export your data to Excel. In QuickBooks, you can do this with a click of a button. Simply click on the Excel button placed at the top of your report and select Excel from the options available.
Create a QuickBooks Download folder on your Desktop
Well, it’s quite easy to forget where we have saved files on our computer. So, it’s wise to create a folder on our computer for all QuickBooks downloads. This will help you quickly access all the files that you want to import. The process is similar to how you create a new folder on your desktop.
Use QuickBooks add-ons
QuickBooks offer various add-ons that can help you expand the functionality of the software. For example:
Bill.com: This is a paperless payment solution that allows you to receive bills and pay vendors electronically and will automatically reconcile transactions into QuickBooks.
Transaction Pro Importer: This is a web service that lets you validate data before importing it , so that you can rectify problems before they mess up your QuickBooks file.
SOS Inventory: It integrates with QuickBooks and provides you the right tools that help you manage inventory, process sales orders, and provide manufacturing support. It helps you remove duplicate data entries and saves both your time and money.
You can easily install these and many more add-ons through the Intuit App Center.
Rather than manually entering all the records, you should try to download data directly into QuickBooks. This will minimize the chance of human error and will saves time. To download your data file
- Log in to your data file as the Administrator
- Switch to single user (SU) mode
- Go to the File menu and select Utilities
- Select Import and then click on IIF Files
- Browse to the location of your IIF file and highlight it
- Click Open
- QuickBooks will pop a message confirming that your data has been imported
- Click OK to exit.
Back up All Your Data
Because system crashes are sudden and unpredictable, it is best to back up your QuickBooks from time to time. To backup your QuickBooks file,
- Select the File > Back Up Company > Create Local Backup.
- Now select Local Backup
- Click on the Options button. The Backup Options window will open.
- Click Browse to select the location where you want to save your backup copy.
- Once you have selected the option, click OK.
- Select Save It Now, and click Finish to begin the backup process.
The key to protect your financial data is having a strong password. This will help prevent lot of headaches afterwards.
Reconcile your accounts regularly
This will ensure that all your transactions are recorded and will give you a bigger picture of your business.
Print Check Directly from QuickBooks
This will not only make reconciliation easier, but will also increase your work efficiency by eliminating unnecessary data entry. To print checks,
- On the Home Screen, click on +Menu
- Select Print Checks. You will land on Print Checks screen
- Click Print setup at the bottom of the page
- Select the type of check and preview the sample
- Finally, click View preview and print sample
Use Online Banking
This feature allows you to download all your bank transactions into QuickBooks. Click here to know how you can connect your bank accounts with QuickBooks.
Use Memorized Transactions
Utilize this feature to automatically enter reoccurring bills, invoices, and payments. This will help you get a hand on expenses before they occur.
Pay Bills Using QuickBooks
This will make things easier when it comes to reconciling your accounts. To pay bills using QuickBooks,
- Click on the + menu from the Home screen and beneath the “Vendors” column select the Pay Bills tab.
- Click on Payment Account dropdown menu and select the account from which you want to pay the bill
- Go to option labeled Show bills due on or before and click on the Calendar icon next to it
- Choose the date for which you want to see the bill
- Now, from the table of bills, select the bill you want to pay
- Go to Payment Date section and select the date on which you want to pay the bill by clicking on the calendar icon
- Select your payment mode in the Payment Method section
- Click on Pay Bills to make the payment.
Set up 1099 Vendors
Setting up 1099 Vendors will help you sort your payment and taxes right from the beginning to avoid last-minute stress at year end. To set up 1099 vendor, click here.
Restrict User Access
If your QuickBooks is being accessed and managed by too many people, chances of error increase. Hence, restrict user access to avoid complications. For this,
- Click on Company in the QuickBooks menu bar
- Go to Set Up Users and Passwords
- Click Set Up Users to open the User List dialog box
- Click on the name of user whose permissions you want to change. Click “Edit User…” to open the user’s access window.
- Click from the following options within QB: “All areas of QuickBooks,” “Selected areas of QuickBooks” and “External Accountant”. Once done, click on the Next tab.
- Now click “No Access,” “Full Access” or “Selective Access” in each of the next nine screens
- Click Finish to complete the process.
Remove Double Entries and Merge Similar Accounts
Since QuickBooks allow multiple users to work simultaneously on the software, chances of duplicate entries increase. To make your final accounts error-free, it’s best to track all duplicate entries from time to time.
This will make emailing invoices and reports simple and efficient. Here’s how you can link your email to QuickBooks. Need some more help with your QuickBooks accounting software? Give us a call at QuickBooks support toll free helpline number and our expert technicians at AskForAccounting can give you instant solution for all your tech worries to help you get most out of your accounting software.