If you have so far worked on an accounting platform that is something other than QB then you will find it hard to convert and import files into QuickBooks. Importing data has never been simple especially for beginners. If you want to import accounts into QuickBooks then you can do that under these following scenarios.
- Importing Accounts into QuickBooks from Existing Company File.
- Importing Accounts from Excel.
- 1 Import Accounts into QuickBooks from Existing File.
- 1.1 How to Export Customers List From Existing Company File
- 1.2 Import Customers List in a New QuickBooks Company
- 1.3 How to Export Suppliers Account From Existing Company File
- 1.4 How to Import Suppliers Account in a New Company File
- 1.5 How to Export Chart of Accounts From Existing Company File
- 1.6 How to Import Chat of Accounts in a New Company File
- 2 How to Import Accounts from Excel in QuickBooks
Import Accounts into QuickBooks from Existing File.
If you have your accounts maintained in an existing file within the program and now you want them to be exported to a new file in QuickBooks then:
- First, Export the file to excel and then,
- Import it back into QuickBooks.
Following the same steps here, let’s find out how to import customers list, vendors list, and chart of accounts.
How to Export Customers List From Existing Company File
In order to import the list of customers to your new Quickbooks Company file, you would have to export them first using the steps below:
- From your Quickbooks dashboard, click on the sales menu.
- Choose customers tab from the top of the navigation bar.
- From the customer’s window that now appears, click on the Export button. If you have any inactive customer then you have the option to delete the same using the settings tab located at the top of the navigation bar.
- Clicking on the export icon will download all your customer’s data in an excel file format and will have all the necessary details about your clients or customers.
Import Customers List in a New QuickBooks Company
- Choose the settings tab located on the top panel.
- From the drop down menu that appears to click on import data button.
- Now choose customers and click on the files tab.
- This will open up a window for you to choose the excel file you downloaded. Navigate to the location where you have saved your customers data.
- Click open the file and hit continue and your file will be imported in your new company.
How to Export Suppliers Account From Existing Company File
Exporting and importing them in your new company will work more or less the same way but with a little twist. Follow the steps and export them in .xls format.
- From the Expenses section within QuickBooks, click over the supplier’s tab. This you can find on the top of the menu bar.
- Click on the export icon from the supplier’s window. If you have any duplicates or certain suppliers not active then make the necessary adjustment from the settings tab.
- Now click on the export button and your supplier’s account will be down loaded with all the necessary details.
How to Import Suppliers Account in a New Company File
- Start by clicking the settings tab. This will open up a drop down menu, from here click the imports button.
- From the window, click on the supplier’s section and choose to click on the files tab.
- Now choose the .xls file you just exported to your desktop.
- Click on the open tab and hit continue.
- Your files will then be imported successfully.
How to Export Chart of Accounts From Existing Company File
Working with COA is a little complicated, as it involves a bit of more effort on your part. Here are the steps involved to successfully export and then re-import it into QuickBooks.
- From the dashboard, click on the accounting tab.
- Choose COA from the navigation menu and from the top right corner of your screen, click to run reports.
- Adjust any inactive or duplicate accounts from the gear’s menu and run the report once again.
- Choose the exports tab, located at the bottom of your screen, and the selected files will be exported.
- Remove any title, if already shown and make sure that you have the header at the top of your .xls file.
How to Import Chat of Accounts in a New Company File
- Start by choosing the settings tab and click on the import files button.
- Choose chart of accounts and select the files button.
- A window will appear for you to choose the .xls file. Navigate the path and choose the said file.
- Open the COA.xls and choose to click on continue.
- If QuickBooks find any critical issue in the imported file then the said fields will get highlighted. Make necessary adjustments and choose to continue tab.
- Your Chart of Accounts file will now be imported.
The above steps covered will help you import accounts into QuickBooks. If you have accounts already prepared and maintained within your excel sheet then you will have the privilege to import them directly into the software. Here is what you need to do for importing accounts in QuickBooks directly from .xls.
How to Import Accounts from Excel in QuickBooks
- From QuickBooks home page, click on the files tab.
- Choose the utility tab and then click on the import files section.
- Choose to click on excel file.
- If you are asked about adding various entries, then simply click no.
- Open up the advanced import slider and do the following:
- Choose the .xls file by click on the browse button.
- Check mark the box with the message “The excel file includes header”.
- From the mapping menu, click on Add new section.
- Now from the mapping dialogue box, do the following:
- Type in the name in the mapping field section,
- Under the import type section, choose the data type.
- Match QB with imported data. Match both the columns and the rows and you will be set.
- Click on the Save button. Select imports tab and your file will now be imported successfully.
Importing accounts into Quickbooks saves you a lot of time and energy as you are not required to rewrite entries manually. It also saves you from getting into any kind of error that people generally fall into while maintaining books manually.
If you are new to QuickBooks and wants to import your data into the software then steps given above is enough for you to successfully import accounts into QuickBooks. But since the program is only a collection of an algorithm that is meant to simplify accounts, can sometimes run into problems. Thus if you face issues while importing data then let us know and we will help you figure out the problem. For any further help, write to us in the comment section below and our QuickBooks ProAdvisor will offer you with customized help.