If you are maintaining books in QuickBooks thus you should know “how to adjust accounts payable in QuickBooks“.
Accounts Payable are documents that display the credit of a company when they make purchases in advance without paying for them. The vendor becomes the creditor and provides the organization with the accounts payable. Accounts Payable are recorded as liabilities as the money will flow out of the company.
But before proceeding any further check out this article on accounts payable on Investopedia. This proposes a problem for users as they will have to record the document inside QuickBooks and then transfer its rate to 0 while marking the accounts payable as paid.
Adjust Accounts Payable in QuickBooks
Accounts payable are recorded in two ways depending upon the accounting basis that the organization follows. On a cash basis, we only record the Accounts Payable when the payment is made. On an accrual basis, the transaction is recorded despite the payment status. Most large organizations prefer recording transactions on an accrual basis as this represents a clearer picture of their financial standing. Also, this helps them in documenting the form in their books.
Recording this form is quite easy. When it comes to adjusting accounts payable, users need to be a bit careful. You must deal with these forms with clinical precision. You can also record transactions into a clearing account if you do not want to deal with accounts payables. Further, clearing accounts must be cleared periodically. Hence, we recommend that you clear these accounts every week or every month. Dealing with these transactions at the year-end can become arduous.
How to Adjust Accounts Payable in QuickBooks?
If you have accounts payable pending within the program and you have cleared all your pending balances then the following steps will help you zero your balances:
- Log into QuickBooks
- Open Chart of accounts from the left navigation panel.
- The chart of accounts contains a link to all the transactions that have been linked to a particular account.
- QuickBooks automatically create accounts payable account through which you can filter and search for a particular account payable.
- In the filter, select the date range for which you want to search.
- You can also select other parameters according to which you can narrow down your search. QuickBooks 2017 has a smart search feature that is ideal for searching and navigating through the software. It adds much interactivity and automation to this software.
- Now select the accounts payable you want to mark as paid.
- Click on paid.
- Hit save and close.
There are a few good things about QB when it comes to accounts payables. It does not link the accounts payable directly to the ledger or journal. So you need to manually add these to the balance sheet. This helps accountants tremendously. Also, make sure to attach the deposit or payment to the accounts payable. You may want to get the link to the transaction at a later date. Once you apply the deposit on particular accounts payable, you will have a direct link from within QB to that deposit. This will help you a lot in creating reports.