To ascertain net profits or net losses companies close their books at the end of each financial year and record the figures into their balance sheet. The process requires clinical precision as year-end reports are created while closing the books. Year-end reports and financial statements are used by many organizations for depicting their financial strength to the management and shareholders.
Are you a Quickbooks user?
Close Books in QuickBooks Online
Fortunately for many organizations, QuickBooks Online automatically closes book at the end of financial year. Make sure to go through the balance sheet while the books are being closed. Discrepancies can be easily noted through balance sheets and other financial statements.
Once the books are closed, users won’t be able to make changes to the figures recorded in that particular financial year. Also, users would require administrative privileges in order to create a closing date and password for it.
Follow the Steps given below to Create a Closing Date and a Password for it:
- Go to setting by clicking on the settings icon.
- Select Company Settings/ Account Settings tab.
- From the given options click on Advance.
- Mark the checkbox that is placed closer to “Closing the Books”.
- Before entering the closing date, make sure to check the policy of your organization. Enter the closing date for your organization.
- Select one between the following options:
- Allow Changes after viewing a warning: A warning will be displayed to the user while they are trying to access or change the information saved for the closing date.
- Allow Changes after viewing and entering a password: Users will require proper authentication along with the password for accessing and making changes to the data for the previous financial years. Create a complex password and change it every 90 days. This will help in keeping trouble at bay.
- Click on Save and Done.
In QuickBooks Online, users can create Exceptions to Closing Date Report. Through this report, every change made to the Closing date data can be tracked and traced. This report can be created by going to Reports>Accountant Reports> Exceptions to Closing Date.
Unlike many other accounting platforms and services, QB online enables users to make a change to data after closing books. Make sure to tally the income and expense accounts to figure out any other requirement for change to the data. Still, it is a good idea not to make changes after the books have been closed. QB online only offers this functionality because making changes to the data after closing the books can still make your financial statements more accurate.
Still in Doubt…!
Request a Call Back
Talk to our Quickbooks Proadvisor and resolve your issue over a phone call.
You can even give us a call at our Quickbooks Tech Support at ✆ +1800-865-4183 and talk to our Proadvisor now.