Credit memo is used to record any refund. It is basically a commercial document that is generally issued to a buyer for the refunds made by him. Memos created within QuickBooks appear in the accounts receivables tab that further appears under the customer’s center section. Since these memos inflate the overall credit for a customer, thus you should know how to delete a credit memo in QuickBooks. If you have created the memo all by mistake then it would be better to simply delete them instead of settling them in any other transactions.
Steps to delete a credit memo in QuickBooks:
Follow the step by step instruction and you will be able to get rid of Credit memo completely.
- Login to your QuickBooks dashboard and click on your company file.
- From the top navigation menu, click on the customer’s tab and from the floating menu; select the customer center’s tab.
- Now from the menu that appears, choose to click on Jobs This you can find on the left of your screen.
- From the list of customers, choose the one whom you think has the credit memo you want to delete or void.
- Now select the memo to open.
- Click on the edit This you can find either beneath of beside the memo depends on your version of QuickBooks.
- Either choose void or delete from the options provided.
- Click to choose to confirm, if in case any warning appears and you will be able to delete the memo fully.
An alternative method to reverse a credit memo…
Though the above-given method is all you need to resolve your query, in case if you find it difficult following the method above, then check out these steps:
- From the top of your QuickBooks dashboard, choose the magnifying glass and then click on the advanced search option.
- From the dialogue box that appears, choose the Credit button.
- Type in the name of the vendor, whom you think has the credit available that you want to delete.
- Now hit the search button to find the memo.
- Under the memo option, click on the edit button and this will give you the option to either void or delete the memo.
- Choose the preferred option and your query will be sorted.
How to unapply a credit memo…?
There are sometimes when you would not want to void or delete a memo but simply unapply them within the program. If there is anything you plan to do then follow these simple steps:
- Start by navigating to the memo that you want to unapply.
- To view the history of the memo, choose Control+H
- Now click open the invoice.
- Press “apply credits” option.
- This will display another window on your screen. Remove the credit selection.
- Click done and hit save and close. If all went well, you will be able to un-apply credits memo.
If for any reason, the above-given method doesn’t work then simply click on the credit memo and change its name. You can do that by heading over the Customer job tab. Once done, save the settings with changed name. This will unapply your memo.
If in future you plan to reapply the memo then you simply will have to change the name back to what it originally was. This simple trick will again reapply your memo to the customer or vendor.
If you follow the sequence all step by step then your issue will be fixed in no-time. But if you face any issues or want Quickbooks proadvisor help then give us a call now.
Still in Doubt…!
Request a Call Back
Talk to our Quickbooks Proadvisor and resolve your issue over a phone call.