Since these memos inflate the overall credit for a customer, thus you should know how to “delete a credit memo in QuickBooks“. If you have created the memo all by mistake then it would be better to simply delete them instead of settling them in any other transactions.
A credit memo is used to record any refund. It is basically a commercial document that is generally issued to a buyer for the refunds made by him. Memos created within QuickBooks appear in the accounts receivables tab that further appears under the customer’s center section.
Steps to Delete a Credit Memo in QuickBooks
Follow the step-by-step instruction and you will be able to get rid of the Credit memo completely.
- Login to your QuickBooks dashboard and click on your company file.
- From the top navigation menu, click on the customer’s tab, and from the floating menu; select the customer center’s tab.
- Now from the menu that appears, choose to click on Jobs This you can find on the left of your screen.
- From the list of customers, choose the one whom you think has the credit memo you want to delete or void.
- Now select the memo to open.
- Click on the edit This you can find either beneath or beside the memo depending on your version of QuickBooks.
- Either choose void or delete from the options provided.
- Click to choose to confirm, if in case any warning appears and you will be able to delete the memo fully.
An Alternative Method to Reverse a Credit Memo
Though the above-given method is all you need to resolve your query, in case you find it difficult following the method above, then check out these steps:
- From the top of your QuickBooks dashboard, choose the magnifying glass and then click on the advanced search option.
- From the dialogue box that appears, choose the Credit button.
- Type in the name of the vendor, whom you think has the credit available that you want to delete.
- Now hit the search button to find the memo.
- Under the memo option, click on the edit button and this will give you the option to either void or delete the memo.
- Choose the preferred option and your query will be sorted.
How to Unapply a Credit Memo
There are sometimes when you would not want to void or delete a memo but simply unapply them within the program. If there is anything you plan to do then follow these simple steps:
- Start by navigating to the memo that you want to un-apply.
- To view the history of the memo, choose Control + H
- Now click open the invoice.
- Press the “apply for credits” option.
- This will display another window on your screen. Remove the credit selection.
- Click done and hit save and close. If all went well, you will be able to un-apply the credit memos.
If for any reason, the above-given method doesn’t work then simply click on the credit memo and change its name. You can do that by heading over the Customer job tab. Once done, save the settings with a changed name. This will un-apply your memo.
If in the future you plan to reapply the memo then you simply will have to change the name back to what it originally was. This simple trick will again reapply your memo to the customer or vendor. If you follow the sequence all step by step then your issue “delete a credit memo in QuickBooks” will be fixed in no time.
But if you face any issues or want QuickBooks Pro-advisor to help then give us a call now. You can even give us a call at our QuickBooks Technical support for the USA, Canada, and the UK and talk to our Proadvisor now.