Learn how to “set up and use Barcode scanning in QuickBooks Desktop“, the barcode scanner provides access to work with QuickBooks.
But must be sure that your scanner Consultants the EAN-13 and Code-128 barcodes. In that way, it is easy to set up with your system. The scanner gives a single carriage return just the end of the barcode. The information in this blog helps to know about barcode scanning in QuickBooks.
Check Your Scanner Compatible with QuickBooks?
Before moving forward, the user has to check and verify whether the Scanner is compatible with QuickBooks or not. When you have your scanner connected you can begin setting it up.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Set up your USB Barcode Scanner in QuickBooks Desktop
- 2 Test the Barcode Scanner in QuickBooks Desktop
- 3 How to Import Barcodes in QuickBooks Desktop?
- 4 FAQ’s
How to Set up your USB Barcode Scanner in QuickBooks Desktop
Here learn how to set up your barcode scanner in QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the steps to setting up:
Step 1: Select the Items and Inventory
- First of all, open your QuickBooks and click on the Edit menu.
- Then, choose the preferences, and click on the “Items and Inventory”.
Step 2: Choose Advanced Inventory Settings, Click on Barcodes Tab
- After that, go to the Company Preferences tab and choose “Advanced Inventory Settings”.
- From the available preferences, click on the Barcodes tab.
Step 3: Enable Barcode and Open the Barcode Wizard
- The next thing you have to do is to Enable Barcode and Open Barcode Wizard.
Step 4: Choose the item field to Utilize for Barcode Tracking
- Barcode Scanning Setup wizard, you have to choose the item field you need to utilize for barcode tracking.
- In case, if you don’t know what to utilize, choose a field that will be extraordinary for every item, and hit click on the Next.
Step 5: Choose the Types of items required to Generate Barcodes
- Then, you have to choose the “Types of items” that are necessary to generate the barcodes.
- Moving forward with on-screen guidelines, click on the Next and Finish button.
Test the Barcode Scanner in QuickBooks Desktop
For testing the scanner, Barcode Scanner Tester is the app that you can use to test. Also, check whether the QuickBooks Desktop detects the USB scanner or not.
- Download and run the Barcode Scanner Tester.
- The user has to be sure to remain in the application and complete it before changing to different windows.
- Then, you have to write the sentence which is given in the tester into the first empty field.
- Now, go to the second text field and run the scanner to scan the barcode (Any type). It doesn’t need to be a barcode identification from QuickBooks.
- Click on the “Test” if your app identifies the scanner and hit next click on the “Next” button.
- After that, a new text box will be displayed on your screen, click on it and you can any barcode.
- At last, choose “Test” if you find that your scanner is successfully compatible with QuickBooks
Now, you Can Start Using your Scanner
After the succession of the above method, you are all set to use your scanner:
- In your QuickBooks Desktop, you have to open the transaction.
- Then, scan the selected item with your barcode scanner which is already connected to your system.
- After that, the item will pop up on the transactions as a new line item.
You can scan Barcodes to fill out any of these transactions:
|Refunds & Credits||Purchase Orders|
|Write Checks||Inventory transfers|
How to Import Barcodes in QuickBooks Desktop?
In some cases, you may as of now have a list of barcodes you’ve utilized. Here you can learn how to import barcodes.
You need administrator access to save the backup of your company file before you import.
Step 1: Create a Custom Field to Track Additional Items
The users have to create a custom field if they want to track additional items.
- First of all, importing into QuickBooks expects you to be in single-user mode. You can switch modes by choosing File and then Switch to Single-client Mode.
- Then, open the list and choose the item list, hit the double-click on the selected item, and choose the “Custom Fields”
- After that, you have to choose the “Define Fields” then go to the new line and enter a label name
- From the label field section, you have to click on the “Use” and then an OK button
Step 2: Export the Entire item List to Excel
- Choose the list and then click on the “List” from the bottom of the item list.
- Go to the Excel menu and choose “Explore all items”.
- Then, you have to choose the “Create new worksheet” option.
- From the new workbook, you have to choose the “Export” option.
- Then, you will be able to see the complete item list in the excel sheet.
Step 3: Edit the Excel Sheet
Follow the steps to edit the items
- First of all, you have to enter all barcodes that you wish to use for every item in the “Barcode2” section
- After following on-screen guidelines, you have to save the file and then click on close
Step 4: Import the List along with Barcodes from Excel
After getting confirmation, Import the list along with barcodes from Excel
- The user has to open the File menu and click on the Utilities
- Choose “Import Excel Files” and click on the No button to make Add/Edit Multiple List Entries.
- Hit the next click on the “Advanced Import” and browse the excel file that you already saved and choose Sheet 1 where you can view the data.
- From the mapping drop-down menu, you have to choose the “Add new” option, and the mapping window will display on your screen.
- Open the import preferences to choose an item.
- Go to the QuickBooks column, and locate the Type line. From the same line in the column of import data, you have to choose “Type to make sure they match”.
- Drop down one line to the Name field. Now, open the import data column and choose Item.
- After that, locate the Barcode2 line and then set the Import data section to Barcode2. You have the choice to leave the other field empty.
- Move forward to choose the option to replace the existing data including import data and avoided blank fields.
- Then, all existing items will be updated including new values in Barcode 2 section.
Step 5: Set the QuickBooks to Track your Imported Barcodes
In the final step, the user has to set QuickBooks to track your imported barcodes.
- Open the Edit menu and choose “Preferences”.
- Enter your next click on the “Items & Inventory”.
- From the company preferences tab, hit your click on the “Advanced Inventory setting”.
- Go to the Barcode tab and then open Barcode wizard.
- Now, click on the “Copy Barcodes” from the custom file of Barcode2.
- Click on the Continue button and proceed forward with displayed instructions to finish the process and click the OK button twice.
After implementing the above steps, You may see a window that shows how many barcodes were made. Then, go back to the item list and hit double-click any one of the items to view the Barcode number field that has been loaded up with the imported barcode.
I hope the above information is enough to get acknowledge about- Setting up and Using Barcode Scanning in QuickBooks Desktop. If you looking for any kind of assistance and QuickBooks Consultant or chat with QB expertise via the QB LIVE CHAT link. You can send your question mark doubts to this email.
How would I Set up the Barcode Scanner on my Desktop?
● Connect one port of the included USB link to the barcode scanner
● Afterward, plug the opposite end into a free USB port on the PC.
● You have an option to insert the installation CD or DVD that is delivered along with your device into your PC’s CD/DVD drive.
How would I Connect the Barcode Scanner to the Database?
● First of all, click on the QR code symbol to start scanning.
● Wait until the scanning is not finished, then the content will show up in the “QR Code” field.
● You can utilize the “Send” symbol to present the record.
● Thus, the solicitation will be shipped off the information base and another record containing QR code worth will be made in the “Search Requests” table.
How to Empower Barcode Scanning in QuickBooks?
● Click on the “Gear” symbol and then choose the Company Settings.
● Click the Sales tab on the left route board and select the Barcode
● Scanning checkbox in the Products and administrations segment.
● Click Save to complete the process.
Would you be Able to Scan a Barcode on a PC Screen?
● QR codes that are normally shown on LCD and OLED screens.
● Only a special type of scanner known as 2D imaging barcode scanner can do this.