QuickBooks is the most used bookkeeping solution according to a recent survey. Though it is an easy-to-use application there are certain conditions when you can encounter some technical errors. These technical errors then hamper your workflow. One such error comes in the form of a message “QuickBooks Abort Error” or “QuickBooks keeps aborting in multi-user mode“.
- 1 What is QuickBooks Abort Error?
- 2 Why does QuickBooks Keep Aborting
- 3 Symptoms of QuickBooks Keeps Abort
- 4 How to Fix QuickBooks Abort Error Message
- 5 Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
- 6 FAQ’s
What is QuickBooks Abort Error?
The QuickBooks Abort error happens when the user is facing issues in accessing their company files. In this error, the user is also not able to change anything in the company files also in their QuickBooks account. Then you also get the error message displayed on your screen that the connection to your company file has been lost. In case, you are doing any work and suddenly it happens then you have to resolve the error and do all the changes again that you are doing. This error causes the damage to QBWUSER.ini file.
Why does QuickBooks Keep Aborting
The QuickBooks Abort Error has many reasons because it encounters in the QuickBooks account while working. So, here are all the reasons listed that you must know. Using these reasons helps you in choosing the solutions accordingly.
The causes are as follows:-
- There are damaged program files.
- The QuickBooks update is outdated or pending.
- The antivirus and firewall also cause this error in your system by aborting the task of QuickBooks.
- Windows OS is damaged.
- Hardware problems that are connected with QuickBooks.
- The file QBWUSER.ini is missing or corrupted.
- If multiple users hosting the QuickBooks company file then it classes while doing user set up more than one.
- The hard drive is corrupted.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Keeps Abort
Some symptoms through which you get to know about the error before it encounters. The symptoms are as follows:-
- The system got crashed anytime.
- If you are using the Windows 8 then your QuickBooks program closed.
- When you open your QuickBooks it shows you the error or immediately shuts down with the QuickBooks error then it causes you this Abort error..
- Receive error message and with that, the system got shutdown that stops you working on the program.
- The abort error message occurs on the screen and your program stop working.
How to Fix QuickBooks Abort Error Message
Please note: Before you can start to fix your issue, here is what you need to make sure…Check if you have a proper and constant network connection from the server to your data file. Check for the hosting status in your QuickBooks.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Method I- Stop Hosting Multi-user Access
🔹 Open your QuickBooks application.
🔹 Go to the File option from the menu bar.
🔹 Click on Utilities.
🔹 Select Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
🔹 Check mark on the box with the option, “Open a file in multi-user mode”.
Try to run QuickBooks and check if you are facing the issue. Most likely you will not but in case you are still going through the trouble then head over to the second solution.
Method II- QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
🔹 Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool by clicking on the link provided.
🔹 Install the setup file.
🔹 This file is saved locally on your desktop.
🔹 Double-click on the setup file and install the program.
🔹 Stop all the other applications from running as it may interfere with this procedure.
🔹 Now, run the tool to repair the software.
🔹 In case it didn’t work for you then jump on the next solution.
Method III- Restart & temporarily disable Antivirus
🔹 Restart your computer system.
🔹 From the Control Panel, temporarily disable your antivirus.
🔹 Try to open your QuickBooks Desktop now and hope you won’t see QuickBooks Keeps Aborting error.
Method IV- Renaming the QBWUSER.INI file
🔹 Check whether the folder is hidden or not.
🔹 If it is hidden, then enable the hidden files and folders, so that you can view the QBWUSER.INI file.
🔹 Browse for your QBWUSER.INI folder and right-click on it.
🔹 Click on the Rename option
🔹 Add .old at the end of the file name.
🔹 Now, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
🔹 After you have made changes in the name for both the files, try to open the QuickBooks Company file.
🔹 If you can easily open the other file but still facing some issues in opening the actual company files.
🔹 Then, it is recommended that you copy this file in a separate folder and access this from that location. It should be a local folder that is a network location.
Method V- Again install and then clean install the QuickBooks Desktop
🔹 First of all, uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop 2020, 2019, 2018, or any version you are using in your system.
🔹 Now rename or change the name of the installed folders After that, download and run the QuickBooks clean install tool.
🔹 Renaming the QuickBooks installation folders by adding the old ones at the end of the folder name.
🔹 Collect all the information and then do the backup of your Company Data files.
Method VI- Repair QuickBooks
🔹 First of all, close the QuickBooks program and all other programs running in the background
● Open the Task Manager
● Then select the programs related to the QuickBooks Desktop
● Click on the button End task to stop all the working programs
🔹 Now run the Repair QuickBooks in your system
🔹 Open the computer Window or File Explorer by pressing the Windows + E key together on your keyboard.
Note:- If you are using Windows 8 then you have to click on the tab name computer in your Windows 8 operating system.
🔹 Now click on the uninstall or change the program option.
🔹 Then click on the QuickBooks program.
🔹 After selecting the QuickBooks, click on the Uninstall/Change option.
🔹 Again, go to the installation window of QuickBooks.
🔹 Then click on the radio button named repair.
🔹 Select the Next button then again click on the Repair button mentioned at the bottom of the screen.
🔹 When the process is done click on the Finish button and you are done with the repair of the program.
🔹 Restart your system if asked.
🔹 In the end, open the QuickBooks Desktop and start your work.
The solutions suggested in this article will seamlessly resolQuickBooks Abort Error. If you are unable to resolve this problem and need help from an expert then you should get in touch with us. You just have to give a call to the QuickBooks Error Support number the expert who is available will immediately come to your assistance.
Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
How to Rename the File in the QuickBooks Folder?
● Go to the QuickBooks folder
● Then you have to locate the file of which you want to rename
● Then right-click on the file
● From further options click on the Rename option
● Then write the old at the front or the back of the file name
● Click on the Enter button from the keyboard
● Now the renaming of the file is done.
What steps need to be done first?
● You can directly go with the solution according to the cause.
● If you don’t know the cause then firstly, go with the troubleshooting steps.
● Still, you are facing issues then go with other solutions.
Is it important to update the QuickBooks desktop software?
Yes, it is the most important thing that you do update your QuickBooks desktop account to the latest release or version. It helps you in resolving many issues by just updating the software. So, before applying any solution if the update is available do update it.