The full form of QSW is QuickBooks Statement Writer. It is a kind of additional package for making financial statements to help in your business. It complies with all the GAAP that is Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
Overview of QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW) – How it Helps You?
If you get this add-on package in your QuickBooks account then you can easily create professional and customization financial statements for your business. Your statements are also being synchronized even when there are any kinds of changes in the statements. All the things got done in the Excel spreadsheet when you start a new one.
What are the three main things about QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW)?
The 3 main parts of QuickBooks Statement Writer are:-
Microsoft Excel – It helps you in making all the changes you want to do and also shows your final outputs.
Report Designer Window – In this Window, you can easily do things according to your requirement as it is customized.
QuickBooks File – These are the files or files that have all your data stored in them.
How to Use and Navigation of QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW)
How to Create the Report using QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW)?
The procedure is as follows:-
- First of all, open the QuickBooks software.
- Then you have to click on the icon of the QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW).
- For further options, click on the Design New Report option.
- In the Report Designer Window, you have to use the features of the navigation.
- Choose all documents and statements that are required in the report.
- After that, you have to create an organized order in which you want to use the documents or statements.
- Now you have to customize the report that contains all the documents and the statements.
- Save this full report as the template so that it can be used again.
- When you are done with all things, click on the Create Report button.
- Now in the Excel Spreadsheet, check by reviewing the report and separate or combine the accounts according to your requirements if needed.
- In Excel, if the QSW Task Pane is missing or disappeared then you can make it visible by clicking on the Show Task Pane from the toolbar.
- You can customize the reports using the properties option of Rows and Columns that is in the Statement Writer Pane.
- For the appearance editing like sizes, footers, headers, layouts, fonts, and more; go to the Report Properties.
- You can also add the documents or statements if you want to add them to the reports.
- After all the things are done above; save the report.
- Now do print this financial report and also save it as a PDF by clicking on the option Save As and further select PDF.
How to Set the Preferences of QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW)?
The preferences can be set easily according to the requirements of your reports. So for that, you must check the Preferences window. For this, follow the steps to be done:-
- Click on the drop-down arrow of Statement Writer.
- Then from the drop-down menu click on the Preferences option.
- Now in the preferences window, there are sections so that you can set it accordingly.
- Select your section and then set the preferences.
The sections are-
Default Save Locations
● Click on the Browse button
● Then select the folder location where you want to save the file
● After that click on the OK button.
There are various formatting options in this section that are as follows:-
● Show- If you want to show the inactive accounts, decimal places, and column headers then select this option.
● Divide All Data By- It divides all your data by 10, 100, 1000, and so on.
● Show Zero Balances As- You can select an option that shows the Zero balances by default. The options are a zero, a dash, or a blank.
● Automatic Underlines- It underlines automatically if you check this option. But if you want to maintain it by yourself then uncheck this option
● Show Negative Numbers As- to show the negative numbers in the report here are the 5 ways and that are -100 or (100).
This section of style is used to select the font style of the report like italic, bold, and more. It helps in the styles and formatting of the report that you make. After all that you can also do the preview to take a look at the settings that you had done.
The Financial Reports that you Create, Open, and Backup
Create Financial Report- You must have at least one financial statement to create the report in your QuickBooks account. If you open an existing report then you can also add more statements and documents to it if required and continue working on it.
Open a Financial Report- In QuickBooks the financial reports you make are saved with the .qsm extensions. So, if you open the financial report then must check the extension. If you are open 2 financial reports at a time then it will open the different Excel. You can use both as both are active.
To open the report there are several ways and that are:-
● Using QuickBooks
● Using File Location
● Using Network Drive
● Using QSW
🔷 Backup a Financial Report- When you back up the QuickBooks account data in your system then remember that the QSW files are not in that backup. You have to back up these files separately. So you have to take care of it.
The Report Designer
If you want to customize the order of your documents and the statements then you can do it in this section. After customization, save the report as the template so that it can be used further. You can also create more custom report templates like this and next time save you time by just choosing the template and completing your work.
Design Reports with Easy to Use features
🔷 Report Content- In this, you have to create or build a collection or bundle that has statements and the documents for the report. You have to navigate to the screen and select the documents and statements that you want for your report. You can also have the option to customize and save them in your system.
🔷 Columns- This feature is used to set all the columns according to your requirements. There are furthermore options to customize the columns are:-
● Delete a column
● Add a column
● Move a column
● Edit column dates or header
🔷 Rows- It is used to customize the Rows in your report so the further options are:-
● Roll up separate accounts
● Customized Rows
● Customized total row types
🔷 Header and Formatting- You can insert headers and footers if you want to. You also have another option to do it directly in your excel spreadsheet that it click on the Statement Writer option and then select the Edit Header or Footer option. There are further options that can be done in it are-
● You can add text according to your requirement which means custom
● Use the Copy or Paste option.
🔷 Review and Finish- When you are done with all the preferences then you can have the option to review it so that if there is any issue you can change it before saving it. Save it as a PDF in your system and then give the print command. The more options you get in this preference are:-
● Launch Report in Excel or QSW
● Review the information of the Statement
● Update the report easily
● Memorize the statement as templates
After all this, it is done and now you can use it or save this template for future use.
The above is the information in which you get to know about how to use and navigate QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW). In this, you know almost all the things about the QSW like how to create a report in it, what each preference means in the report, and what it does. Now you can easily use it. If you have any issues or queries then do connect with QuickBooks consultant to get all the solutions and information that you want to know. They are available all around the clock to help you out. You can also send your queries.