The below article will discuss the steps to “delete a company in QuickBooks” from QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks MAC, and QuickBooks Windows for Pro, Premier, & Enterprise versions.
QuickBooks permits deleting different features when they are no longer in use. Among them, there is a simple procedure to delete a company in QuickBooks accounting software.
Why are you Unable to Delete Company File in QuickBooks by yourself?
People often create a company in QuickBooks accounting software but later they find it difficult to delete it. The reason here can be anything, e.g. they delete it because they mistakenly entered a wrong name or did some spelling error. If you also find yourself in a similar space and are not able to delete a company in QuickBooks then follow these simple steps.
How to Delete a Company in QuickBooks Desktop
- Steer to the location by pressing the F2.
- Then in the new window locate the section, which says file information on your computer then takes the record of it.
- Check the button beside the company you want to delete.
- Then click on the delete button.
- Then you have to reopen the QuickBooks and open the edit list button.
- Now check the box that says “HIDE”.
- The file will now not only be hidden from your system but will be deleted as well.
Since now you know how to delete a company in QuickBooks, you would now want to open up a new company. If this is so what you want then follow the below-given steps.
How to Delete a Company from QuickBooks Mac?
Similar to other editions of QuickBooks, there is a simple and straightforward method to delete a company in QuickBooks MAC. It is as easy as you locating a File on the system hard drive to delete it. Below mentioned is the list of instructions you need to delete a company from QuickBooks Mac.
Discover the company file that you want to delete
Here are the steps:
- Open the QuickBooks
- Locate the company file that you need to delete
- Now discover the Help option appearing in the top menu bar.
- Choose Product information
- After this, go to the bottom of the location of the new screen file.
- Locate the file path and mouse over the File to jot it in a downward direction
- Here is the path you need to follow to delete, for instance, Documents >> Intuit >> QuickBooks >> Company files >> required file name.
- Once done, hit on the top left corner to close the Window
- Hit on the company file that you need to delete and then drag it down to the trash bin
- Afterward, delete the File and also the files containing the disc image of the deleted company file; make sure it contains .dmg extension.
- The QuickBooks Mac generates a backup copy each time you operate QuickBooks until you switch off an auto-backup feature in preferences.
- Now the File you delete gets included in the trash bin.
- You need to empty the trash bin to delete it permanently from the system.
- Open the trash bin and delete the entire File you want to delete.
How to Delete a Company in QuickBooks Windows Pro, Premier, and Enterprise
The easiest method is to delete the company file in QuickBooks Windows Pro, Premier, or Enterprise. Here are the simple steps you have to follow to locate the company file to delete.
Proceed with locating the company file to delete
- Open your QuickBooks
- Open the company file that you need to delete.
- Discover file option, click open or Restore Company option
- Hit on Open company file
- After this, choose the Next option.
- Click on the File you need to delete and then select Open.
- Now hit on F2 button from the keyboard to display the new Window.
- Discover the file information tab and then make a note of the location
- The file location tells the path of the File where it is stored in the system.
- Close the QuickBooks
- Hit on File and then click the Exit button
- Go to the noted location on the system.
- Now give a right-click on the data file that you want to delete.
- Hit on the Delete option
- Make sure you delete all the files containing the copy of the same file name, which ends .qbw
- Re-open the QuickBooks
- Choose the Edit list option.
- Place a check-mark to the Hide field on the File which you just deleted.
- Now the File is deleted and gets hidden in the Window, which says No company open.
Here is the article about How to delete a company in QuickBooks Online completes! If you face any problems or confusion while implementing the steps mentioned above, then feel free to call QuickBooks Experts Consultant. The professional team is sitting there for you to assist you in time and efficiently. For an instant solution, do chat with one of the team members. Meanwhile, you can drop an email to get answers to your queries.
How to Delete a Company in QuickBooks Online
You can easily delete the company file within 60 days of its setup. The deletion of the File includes complete data from scratch. In case the account has crossed the limit of 60 days, then you require canceling the active company and then starting a new company to begin from scratch.
Steps you need to follow to complete the delete process for a company file of fewer than 60 days on QuickBooks Online
- Firstly, Log in to your QuickBooks Online Company.
- Then modify the URL to include /purge company.
- After this, the next Window will display containing the summary of the deleted items.
- Now for the confirmation of the type of items.
- If you selected you to need to hit on the Yes option, and then choose the OK button.
- Once you are done selecting now, hit on Wipe Data.
- After the delete process is complete, then you will be redirected to your home page.
Delete Company file which has more than 60 days in QuickBooks Online
Here are the steps:
- First, login into your QuickBooks online company.
- Hit on the Gear option appearing at the top right corner of the screen near the company name
- Choose Account and Settings below the Company
- Hit on Billing & Subscription appearing on the left side of the screen
- Now click Cancel at a subscribed button.
Once done, now you will be no longer able to perform any task in the company file. Meanwhile, you can monitor the information for a few months till Intuit does not delete it.
How to Backup your Company File in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks software offers a backup feature that allows you to back up your company file. This will protect your data if something happens to your computer or if you lose access to it.
- Choose the file then click on the backup company.
- If there is no backup company then create a local backup.
- Select local backup.
- Select the options button.
- In front of your screen, a window will appear that will say backup my files.
- Click on the browse and select the location where you want to have your backup copy.
- If you have a file hosting service then choose the additional folders from it.
- Click ok and then click next.
- Select save it now and then Click finish.
- The process of storing backups will begin.
How can I Restore a Company File in QuickBooks?
● Open your QuickBooks and click the File option
● Choose Open or Restore Company
● Hit on Restore a backup copy
● Select the Next option
● Click Local Backup and then hit on Next.
● Browse the backup company file
● Choose a folder to save the restore file.
● Hit on Open
● Once you are prepared, click on the Save button.
How can I Prevent Overwriting of the Data?
For preventing overwriting, you need to rename the backup file or existing company file to give a unique name. This helps in the ease of recognizing and saving in an individual folder.
What is the meaning of the Term Path When Deleting a Company File from QuickBooks?
Path referred to the file location, which leads the user to the file in which company files are stored. For instance, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files(the name of your file).qbw.)
What is the Meaning of Disc Image when you try to Delete a Company File on Mac?
Disk image files are copies of the file you downloaded from the internet. When deleting the file, you need to delete those disk image files to delete the company file completely. The Disk image contains the copy image created by QuickBooks Mac each time you use the software.