In this article get the complete information about how to delete an invoice in QuickBooks.
QuickBooks, as a digital accounting software, simplifies the task of creating, sending recording and voiding invoices. Yes, you heard it Right! All versions of this accounting software offered by Intuit such as QuickBooks Pro/ Premier/ Enterprise, QB Mac and QB online support invoicing. Hence, you can create and send invoices from any platform. But the issue arises when you don’t know how to delete an invoice in QuickBooks. But the arrival of QB app for both Android and iOS, things are looking even better.
Invoices are used as documents that contain information about particular transactions. Large organizations usually create invoices on a monthly basis for sending it to their clients/ customers. This isn’t an option for small businesses or retailers. They usually need to create invoices on the transaction to transaction basis. Hence, many a times inaccuracies may occur that might cause a problem with the data.
Hence, to simplify things, QuickBooks enables users to edit as well as void a particular invoice in order to ensure accuracy.
How to Delete an Invoice in QuickBooks
If you have not saved, printed, or otherwise circulated an invoice, you can only remove an invoice; this is because QuickBooks will permanently remove the particular invoice from the system. So that means you’re never going to retrieve a record like that again. However, if you want an invoice to be removed, follow the steps below:
- Open QuickBooks and sign in.
- Select the company file to which the invoice belongs
- Select transactions from the left navigation menu
- Click on Sales
- From the list of transactions, select the one you want to void.
- Click on ‘more’ and from the drop down options click on ‘Void’
- Click yes on the confirmation dialogue box.
- Repeat for any other transaction you want to void.
How to Delete an Invoice in QuickBooks Online?
Follow the below mention steps to delete an invoice in QuickBooks Online.
- In the beginning, open your QuickBooks Online
- Next, go to the Transactions tab that you find on the left side of your navigational panel
- Now, select Sales within the Transaction
- After that, open an invoice that you wish to delete from the list of all transactions
- At the bottom, you find the “More” button simply click on that
- Click Delete within the More tab
- At last, a pops up window appears prompts to confirm your action.
How to Delete an Invoice Payment in QuickBooks?
Mistakes happen, and sometimes you find that you have accidentally paid a customer twice or added an invoice payment to the wrong account. Anything can happen, so QuickBooks has given you a simple way to clear any unwanted invoices. Here are some fast steps to get rid of any invoice payment that you don’t need.
- The very first, launch your QuickBooks software and then click Company profile
- Next, open the same and then go to the banking menu
- Using the drop-down menu and select the option Make deposits
- Select the line with the duplicate invoice that you want to delete
- Go to the Edit menu and then pick delete line
- At last, click Save in order to save all the modifications made.
Alternatively, you may
- Enter QuickBooks and pick a menu for the list
- Next, by using the drop-down, select the Chart of Accounts
- Make a double-click on the tab named undeposited fund to open the account register
- Choose the duplicated payment that you wish to delete
- After that, go to the Edit tab and then select Delete Payment.
Difference Between Voiding and Deleting a transaction in Quickbooks.
The difference between void and delete is something that QB users need to consider. Both these actions will make a difference in the way your books are organized and rendered inside QB. Open invoices should be directly deleted unless they are needed for a later date. By deleting the invoice, users will be permanently removing it from their company file. On the other hand, Void cancels a particular payment or invoice. For stopping a particular payment from being realized by QB, select void. For removing the receipt from QB, select delete.
If you want to perform both of these actions then first void the transaction and then hit delete. This will stop the payment process as well as remove the receipt from your records. QBO and QB hosting users will be able to recover invoices after deleting them but this will not be a possibility for QB desktop or QB Mac users. Hence, make sure to backup your data before making any substantial changes.
What we suggest…?
Also, we recommend that you do not void or delete an invoice for financial years for which the books have already been closed. This can create an imbalance in the data. Users should at least make sure that income and expense accounts show equal numbers. You can also unvoid a transaction in QuickBooks but more on that later.