There are many cases in which need to reissue a check in QuickBooks. In the case of damaged checks, users can simply print another check. Users who have lost the check need to recreate it. The process followed on either of these situations is remarkably different than just creating a new check. Thus if you are facing issues doing the same, then here is how to reissue a check in QuickBooks.
Find the Shortcuts
Check in QuickBooks – Create, Print, Send, Void
Fortunately, QuickBooks has many options that help users in these dire situations. Not only can users create, print, send, void and un-void checks but also analyze them through inbuilt reporting tools. Accounts and Taxes reports can be used for analyzing taxes created in a particular accounting period. You will not be able to analyze check for which the books have been closed. So, fire up QuickBooks and apply the appropriate method for resolving your issue.
How to Reissue a Check in QuickBooks?
To void the old check and create a new one, follow the steps given below:
Create a new check with the same check number
- Go to Create (+) Option.
- Select Check under vendor
- Select the customer you want to create the check for. You can also add new customers.
- Mailing address
- Payment Date
- Check No.: Enter the same check number that you want to void.
- Enter the account to which the check is to be applied. Add description for the transaction and account.
- Users can enter memo which will be displayed on the check
- Select the type of account for which the check is being created
- Click on Save
How to Void a Check in QuickBooks?
- Go to Banking from the left navigation panel
- Select ‘Use Register’ and type in the check no. you want to void.
- Hit ‘Void’ check
- Select Yes.
Voided checks are not deleted from QB. Instead, the amount of check is set to 0. Also, the check is recorded in the books as voided. This does not cause any imbalance in income and expense accounts which closing books. Further, this is preferred to deleting the check altogether, as by simply voiding a check, users is still able to track it on a later date.
For organizations that have recently shifted from traditional accounting to QuickBooks, can convert their paper checks into digital checks by entering the information provided on paper check in QB. For voiding this check, the aforementioned steps can be followed.
Voiding a Payroll Check after reissuing it:
- Go to the Payroll Center
- Click on Void Paychecks
- Filter the checks according to your requirements. Checks can be filtered according to date and amount
- Hit Void against the paychecks you want to void.
QB will treat Payroll checks the same as all other checks. The total amount of check will be set to 0 and its status to void.
Just in Case: Follow the steps given below to unvoid a voided check.
- Goto Reports from the left navigation panel
- Select Accounts and Taxes
- Click on Voided Transactions
- Select the check you want to unvoid
- You already know that QB sets the amount for a voided check to 0. You can simply edit the check and enter the desired amount into it.
- Click on save and the check will be unvoided.
Hence, QuickBooks makes it easier for organizations to create, track, void and unvoid checks. Also, while sending the check, make sure to enter information about the voided check in the memo, reissue a check in QuickBooks. This will legally safeguard you against any false claims. Need any help and support Dial QuickBooks professional team or chat now.