If you own a company you might not feel comfortable handing over all the books of accounts to your accountant. For such a matter, QuickBooks has the option of Accountant’s Copy’. This file comes with certain restriction but it can be removed too. This article will give you the steps on how to remove accountant restrictions in QuickBooks.
What is Accountant’s Copy and Accountant Restrictions?
An Accountant’s Copy in QuickBooks is a slimmed down version of the company file that can be accessed by the accountant. As the primary user you have to put a dividing date in the accountant copy.
This will enable the accountant to make changes before the dividing date; however, no change can be made after the dividing date. This will ensure that no changes can be made in the company file without your permission.
But there are times when you would have to remove the restrictions due to some pending issues or for the purpose of changing the copies or other reasons. There might also be a condition where there might be few changes that are pending.
In such a case you will see the message on top of the QuickBooks window ‘Accountant Changes Pending’. To change that you have to remove the restrictions on the Accountant’s copy.
How to Remove Accountant Restrictions in QuickBooks?
Removing Accountant’s Restrictions for QuickBooks 2015 and later…
- Go to the main menu on the top and click on File.
- From the drop-down menu click on Send Company File.
- Next from the other menu that pops select Accountant’s copy.
- Another drop-down menu will appear, select Remove Restrictions.
- If you are sure you want to remove the restrictions click on the tab.
So once you click on the Remove Restrictions tab, you will no longer be able to accept the accountant’s copy of that original accountant’s copy that you did earlier. So if you are waiting for your accountant’s changes then do not click on the Remove Restrictions as you would not be able to import the changes into your QuickBooks file.
- Once you click on Remove Restrictions, a new window will open with the header ‘Remove Restrictions. In the window you will receive a warning statement ‘Doing this will remove the restrictions on your file that prevent you from editing transactions dated on or before (mm/dd/year)…’
- You then have to check on the box beside ‘Yes, I want to remove the Accountant’s Copy restrictions’.
- Next click on the OK button.
Removing Accountant’s Restrictions for QuickBooks 2013 and 2014.
If you are using 2013 or even 2014 version on the program and figuring out how to remove accountant restrictions in QuickBooks
- Go to the main menu and then select File.
- Next from the drop-down menu select Accountant’s Copy.
- Next choose Remove Restrictions.
- Then follow the next steps as done in QuickBooks 2015 and later versions.
With the Accountant’s Copy in QuickBooks you can keep an accurate set of records. The copy allows your accountant to work on backdated periods while you can work on the current period. QuickBooks allows your accountant to make changes in the Accountant’s copy that you can later import to your company files.
But QuickBooks also only allows your accountant to work on a certain period of time in the file as per you have set the dividing date. For you to send your accountant the copy of the file you can use various methods and once the changes are made into the Accountant’s copy you will receive the message saying the changes have been made for you to import.