This article will give you the steps on how to “remove accountant’s copy restrictions in QuickBooks“. If you own a company you might not feel comfortable handing over all the books of accounts to your accountant.
For such a matter, QuickBooks has the option of Accountant’s Copy. This file comes with certain restrictions but it can be removed too.
What are Accountant’s Copy and Accountant’s Restrictions?
An Accountant’s Copy in QuickBooks is a slimmed-down version of the company file that can be accessed by the accountant. As the primary user, you have to put a dividing date in the accountant copy. This will enable the accountant to make changes before the dividing date; however, no change can be made after the dividing date. This will ensure that no changes can be made to the company file without your permission.
But there are times when you would have to remove the restrictions due to some pending issues or for the purpose of changing the copies or other reasons. There might also be a condition where there might be a few changes that are pending. In such a case you will see the message on top of the QuickBooks window ‘Accountant Changes Pending’. To change that you have to remove the restrictions on the Accountant’s copy.
How to Remove Accountant’s Copy Restrictions in QuickBooks Desktop
Removing Accountant’s Restrictions for QuickBooks 2015 and later.
- Go to the main menu on the top and click on File.
- From the drop-down menu click on Send Company File.
- Next from the other menu that pops select Accountant’s copy.
- Another drop-down menu will appear, select Remove Restrictions.
- If you are sure you want to remove the restrictions click on the tab.
Note: So once you click on the Remove Restrictions tab, you will no longer be able to accept the accountant’s copy of that original accountant’s copy that you did earlier.
So if you are waiting for your accountant’s changes then do not click on the Remove Accountant Restrictions in QuickBooks as you would not be able to import the changes into your QuickBooks file.
- Once you click on Remove Restrictions, a new window will open with the header ‘Remove Restrictions. In the window you will receive a warning statement ‘Doing this will remove the restrictions on your file that prevent you from editing transactions dated on or before (mm/dd/year).
- You then have to check the box beside ‘Yes, I want to remove the Accountant’s Copy restrictions’.
- Next click on the OK button.
Removing Accountant’s Restrictions for QuickBooks 2013 and 2014
If you are using the 2013 or even the 2014 version of the program and figuring out how to remove accountant restrictions in QuickBooks.
- Go to the main menu and then select File.
- Next from the drop-down menu select Accountant’s Copy.
- Next, choose Remove Restrictions.
- Then follow the next steps as done in QuickBooks 2015 and later versions.
With the Accountant’s Copy in QuickBooks, you can keep an accurate set of records. The copy allows your accountant to work on backdated periods while you can work on the current period. QuickBooks allows your accountant to make changes in the Accountant’s copy that you can later import to your company files.
But QuickBooks also only allows your accountant to work on a certain period of time in the file as per you have set the dividing date. For you to send your accountant the copy of the file you can use various methods and once the changes are made to the Accountant’s copy you will receive the message saying the changes have been made for you to import.
In case you have any issues with removing the accountant’s restrictions than do contact us at our QuickBooks Consultant number. They will help and guide you through the process.
What are things to take care of when you remove accountant restrictions in QuickBooks?
● After removing restrictions, the changes won’t be imported into your QuickBooks account
● You are required to send any other Accountant’s copy
● The removal of the Accountant’s copy restrictions is irreversible.
What is the role of dividing date when you want to remove accountant restrictions in QuickBooks?
If there is the dividing date in the Accountant’s copy that means there is a restriction in it. Before that dividing date, no one can make changes to it. If there are any changes that need to reflect so you have to first remove restrictions and then make the changes in the file.
In the case of a dividing date, the Accountant can only modify the transactions that are done on or before the dividing date that is set on the Accountant’s copy. But the clients can only modify the transaction on the working file they have that came after the dividing date.
What is the workflow of the Accountant’s copy and which is used by whom when you remove accountant restrictions in QuickBooks?
There are 2 workflows for Accountant’s copy that can be used:-
● Accountant’s Copy File Transfer (ACFT) workflow– This feature is available in the Experts membership that is active. Using this feature, you and your accountant can exchange your files of Accountant’s Copy easily using the secure server.
● Accountant’s Copy Manual workflow– This manual method can be done in case the user doesn’t have the Experts active membership. Manually you can transfer the Accountant’s copy between you and your accountant through email, USB, or the cloud. The updated version of the file can also be exchanged using the same means.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.