If you are facing such a failed or error, this occur when you’re trying to restore failed while restoring a backup copy of your company file into QuickBooks Desktop.
This log file error comes with a failed error dialogue box and you are presented with no other option but to click Ok. Some of the Error Messages when you Restoring a Backup QuickBooks Desktop
- Error: Failed
- Restore Failed.
- Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file.
Common Reasons Why QuickBooks Restore Failed or Error
You may face a QuickBooks log file error because of the below-given reasons
- Over an existing company file the backup was restored.
- When there are special characters ( / < > ! $) present in your QuickBooks company file.
- The company file is compromised.
- When you have mistakenly restored the company backup over an existing file.
- The backup was made in a newer version
- When you have restored a backup file to your network drive from a flash drive.
- When you created and restored a backup to an older version of QuickBooks.
- When the restored file isn’t itself a backup file.
- When you have a damaged QuickBooks company file.
- The file that you are trying to restore isn’t an actual backup file.
What you can do to Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed or Error
The very first thing you would need to do is to get rid of a special character within the QuickBooks company file name.
Solution 1: Remove Special Characters from the company file
- Look for the file that you would like to rename.
- Now right click on the company file and from the options provided, choose to rename the file.
- Give a new name to the file and hit enter and your file will be saved with a new name, avoid special characters like /\<>!$.
Solution 2: From your flash drive or network drive copy your backup before restoring it
- It is simpler to restore a backup to and from your local computer than it is to use a network disk or flash drive.
- To ensure the security of the file, it is advised that you copy your backup to your desktop before restoring it.
Solution 3: Not to Overwrite your Already Existing File
- Here the process is really simple. If you want to restore a backup copy of a file then try saving it with a different name.
- This can be done like this: When you are saving a company file, then make sure that the file with the same name is not already present.
- If so, then the program will overwrite your existing file.
- Thus if QuickBooks gives you a message like the one below then hit “No”:
“file name is already in the drive, saving it will overwrite your existing file”
Solution 4- Copy a backup file to a new folder before restoring it
A backup can be ensured that it is not in a potentially damaged folder by being copied to a new one. You can copy the file and paste it into a different folder using Windows Explorer.
Solution 5: Use the same or a newer version of QuickBooks when restoring your backup
Due to differences in file structures between versions, you can only restore a backup to a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- In QuickBooks Desktop 2019, you can restore a backup from QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Restoring a backup to QuickBooks Desktop 2018 from QuickBooks Desktop 2019 is not recommended.
Solution 6: Repair and Fix Damage Company File
- Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor to repair company file
- If such is the case then all you can do is get help from QuickBooks Consultant staff.
If you try all the steps above then you would surely get rid of the QuickBooks Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File and want to restore QuickBooks to a previous date. But if in any case you still face the issue then you can get in touch with us at our QuickBooks error Consultant or chat with the experts.
What is the QuickBooks Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File error?
This error was encountered while restoring a backup copy of the company file in QuickBooks Desktop. The major reason behind the occurrence of the error: is when you try to log into your QuickBooks account from a device that isn’t the host computer. To resolve this problem, you must first log off from your host computer; after that, you will only be able to log in.
How do I Solve the QuickBooks Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File Permanently?
However, there is no such thing as a permanent solution; all you have to do is try to see what works best for you. You would be at your best if you are able to resolve the issue quickly; but, if the error persists, follow the steps below:
● First, log in to your QuickBooks account
● If you’re using QuickBooks in a multi-user environment, you’ll need to ask each user to log out of their account
● Locate the .qbw file once the account has been signed in from your end
● Simply uninstall the duplicate file and rename the older file with the .qbw extension once you’ve found it
● Shut down your machine and log out of QuickBooks
● Restart the computer where you want to access QuickBooks
● Carry out the same action that resulted in the “QuickBooks restore failed can’t delete log file” error
● If you are able to pass through QuickBooks and hopefully the error has been resolved successfully.
Can restoring the backup in a different QuickBooks Version or any older QB version evoke the “QuickBooks Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File” issue?
Yes, it can also be one of the reasons behind this error so try to restore a backup to a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop but not to an older version. The issue can arise due to file structure changes between the versions. For example,
● You may use QuickBooks Desktop 2019 to restore a backup from QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
● Don’t use QuickBooks Desktop 2018 to restore a backup from QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
If you’re facing an issue in finding the backup file version then QuickBooks File Manager assists you in determining the correct version of the backup that you are attempting to restore.
What and all things need to check when copying a backup file to a new folder before restoring it?
First, it is important to note that the file you are attempting should be a real backup file before you start restoring it. Moreover, there are a few more things that need to consider:
● Check the file size after creating a backup and that should not be less than 6MB.
● Know the file size by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties.
● If the file size is less than 6MB then this file is not a true backup so create a new backup file from the working file.
Why did my QuickBooks Restore Fail?
There are several reasons why a QuickBooks restore may fail. One common reason is that the backup file may be corrupted or damaged. Another reason could be that the version of QuickBooks you are trying to restore to is not compatible with the backup file.
How can I Prevent QuickBooks Restore Failures in the Future?
To prevent QuickBooks restore failures in the future, it is important to regularly back up your company file and verify that the backup is complete and error-free. You should also keep your QuickBooks software up-to-date and ensure that it is compatible with any backup files you have created.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.