In this article you learn fix QuickBooks back up issue such as “Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks“, “QuickBooks restore failed error“. For any software that supports multiple users, handles large data, it is only natural that such a program takes a hit in form of errors. Therefore it comes with a provision of storing, organizing and managing all the data in a robust way. The system is designed to rebuild and restore all important company data in case of an emergency. One such security measure is a prompt that guides users to properly back up all their company files (QBW) but at times the restoration fails and you may see a QuickBooks restore failed error.
- Restoring QuickBooks backup, you may see the Error: Failed
- “Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File”
- “Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file”
- 1 Reasons for the “Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks”
- 2 How to Fix Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks:
- 2.1 Step 1: Do not overwrite an Existing Company File when Performing the Restore
- 2.2 Step 2: Remove Special Characters from the File Name
- 2.3 Step 3: Restoring a Backup From an External Drive or a Network Drive
- 2.4 Step 4: Ensure that the File you are Trying to Restore is a Valid QBB file
- 2.5 Step 5: Restore the QBB to the Same Version or Newer Version of QuickBooks when Restoring the Backup
Reasons for the “Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks”
- The backup is being restored from a USB flash drive or a network drive
- The backup is being restored over an existing company file
- The backup has been made in a newer version (2019) but is being restored to an older version (2018)
- The company file is damaged or corrupted
- The company file name includes special characters.
The solution to this error is following a trail of exact solutions that may require some hit and trial and can prove to be a challenge.
How to Fix Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks:
Before proceeding to the steps below make sure the file you are trying to back up is not less than 6MB. If the file is lesser than it may just not be the true backup file. You can check the file size by right clicking on the file > Select Properties > Check Version.
In case this is the case, then create a new backup from the working file.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Step 1: Do not overwrite an Existing Company File when Performing the Restore
🔹 Follow the basic hygiene of file saving.
🔹 When saving the restored file, select the destination folder where the file is to be saved
🔹 If you find that the name clashes with an already existing company file, rename the file and pick a different name.
Step 2: Remove Special Characters from the File Name
🔹 Another part of basic file hygiene is to not add special characters like/,! $, ^ in the file name while saving any file.
Step 3: Restoring a Backup From an External Drive or a Network Drive
🔹 To avoid any permanent data corruption in the QBB file always take a back up from the external media used in the backup like a USB or a network drive and make a local copy so that even if the backup fails, it doesn’t terminate the process abruptly.
Step 4: Ensure that the File you are Trying to Restore is a Valid QBB file
🔹 If you try to perform a restore task on a file that’s not a valid QBB format then in all likelihood it will throw a QuickBooks restore failed error
Step 5: Restore the QBB to the Same Version or Newer Version of QuickBooks when Restoring the Backup
🔹 QuickBooks when restoring the backup
🔹 However, in the process, you may need to review the QBWin.log or the QuickBooks.log files while may be a complicated task and at times too technical for regular users.
Get the Right Help From as for Accounting:
If you’ve run into deeper trouble or need help with executing the steps above, then do contact us for a complete solution to Restoring QuickBooks backup “Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks”, you may see the Error: Failed. Contact AskForAccounting on our number 24*7 for a solution to a wide range of QuickBooks issue. Our chat support is also open 24*7 You for your help or drop in an email regarding the details of the issue and one of our QuickBooks error support experts will get back with the right solution.