In this article, you learn to fix QuickBooks backup issues such as “Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks“.
For any software that Consultants multiple users, and handles large data, it is only natural that such a program takes a hit in form of errors. Therefore it comes with a provision of storing, organizing, and managing all the data in a robust way. The system is designed to rebuild and restore all-important company data in case of an emergency. One such security measure is a prompt that guides users to properly back up all their company files (QBW) but at times the restoration fails and you may see a QuickBooks restore failed error.
- Restoring QuickBooks backup, you may see the Error: Failed
- “Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File”.
- “Error: Restore failed can’t remove log file”.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons for the Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks
- 2 How to Fix Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks
- 2.1 Step 1: Do not overwrite an Existing Company File when Performing the Restore
- 2.2 Step 2: Remove Special Characters from the File Name
- 2.3 Step 3: Restoring a Backup From an External Drive or a Network Drive
- 2.4 Step 4: Ensure that the File you are Trying to Restore is a Valid QBB file
- 2.5 Step 5: Restore the QBB to the Same Version or Newer Version of QuickBooks when Restoring the Backup
- 3 Restore QuickBooks from a Flash Drive
- 4 Steps to Restore QuickBooks from a Flash Drive
Reasons for the Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks
- The backup is being restored from a USB flash drive or a network drive.
- The backup is being restored over an existing company file.
- The backup has been made in a newer version (2019) but is being restored to an older version (2018).
- The company file is damaged or corrupted.
- The company file name includes special characters.
The solution to this error is following a trail of exact solutions that may require some hit and trial and can prove to be a challenge.
How to Fix Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks
Before proceeding to the steps below make sure the file you are trying to back up is not less than 6MB. If the file is lesser then it may just not be the true backup file. You can check the file size by right-clicking on the file > Select Properties > Check Version.
In case this is the case, then create a new backup from the working file.
Step 1: Do not overwrite an Existing Company File when Performing the Restore
- Follow the basic hygiene of file saving.
- When saving the restored file, select the destination folder where the file is to be saved.
- If you find that the name clashes with an already existing company file, rename the file and pick a different name.
Step 2: Remove Special Characters from the File Name
- Another part of basic file hygiene is to not add special characters like/,! $, ^ in the file name while saving any file.
Step 3: Restoring a Backup From an External Drive or a Network Drive
- To avoid any permanent data corruption in the QBB file always take a backup from the external media.
- Used in the backup like a USB or a network drive and make a local copy.
- So that even if the backup fails, it doesn’t terminate the process abruptly.
Step 4: Ensure that the File you are Trying to Restore is a Valid QBB file
- If you try to perform a restore task on a file that’s not a valid QBB format then in all likelihood it will throw a QuickBooks restore failed error.
Step 5: Restore the QBB to the Same Version or Newer Version of QuickBooks when Restoring the Backup
- QuickBooks when restoring the backup.
- However, in the process, you may need to review the QBWin.log or the QuickBooks.log files.
- It while maybe a complicated task and at times too technical for regular users.
If you’ve run into deeper trouble or need help with executing the steps above, then do contact us for a complete solution to Restoring QuickBooks backup “Unable to Restore a Backup of QuickBooks”, you may see the Error: Failed.
Contact AskForAccounting on our number 24*7 for a solution to a wide range of QuickBooks issues. Our chat Consultant is also open 24*7 You for your help or drop in an email regarding the details of the issue. One of our QuickBooks error Consultant experts will get back with the right solution.
Restore QuickBooks from a Flash Drive
Though it is easy to take a backup of QuickBooks company files, do you know “how to restore QuickBooks from a flash drive“? It has a backup file stored that has the information of all the company’s data. This company file will have the data till the date when the backup was created. It is recommended that you restore the recent file.
You can create the backup using the CD, local hard drive, flash drive, network folder, etc. Thus you don’t have to worry about the platform, you will restore your data as it can be easily done using even a simple flash drive.
Steps to Restore QuickBooks from a Flash Drive
If you follow the instructions mentioned in this article then it will help you in restoring your QuickBooks backup files. As the backup copies are in the compressed format, you will need to use the restoration wizard to retrieve the data back to your QuickBooks. It is recommended that you do not use the Copy command from your Microsoft Windows.
Step 1: Steps to Restore QuickBooks Data Within Your Flash Drive
- If the backup file is not present in the hard disk of the system or in the network folder then you will have to use an external drive like a flash drive.
- Open QuickBooks on your system and go to file.
- Press the Open or Restore Company option to open the restore wizard on your system.
- Press on the Restore a backup copy (.qbb) option and then click on Next.
- Go to the Local backup and press Next.
- A new prompt will open that will ask you to open Backup Copy.
- Go to the Look drop-down menu and browse to the location that has the entire backup file stored on the system. This folder will have files with extension .qbb.
- Go to the backup file and open it on your system by pressing Open and then Press Next.
- Click on the Save option and select the location where you want to restore the backup files.
- Choose the backup files and press Save.
- You will see many prompt notifications on your system, respond to them accordingly.