As a consequence, we’ve created this page to provide you with all of the essential methods for effortlessly upgrade company files after switch to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks stands out as one of the most prominent accounting software with quite several timely enhancements. If you are a QB user, you should continue getting updates that become necessary for the smooth functioning of QuickBooks. It is not recommended, however, to execute an update or convert a business file without adequate information about the method.
Why Need to Upgrade Company Files?
One must upgrade the company files manually whenever there is an upgradation done to your QuickBooks Desktop to a new Version. Otherwise, you will encounter specific errors and there will be complications in work. And if in some cases you proceed to just switch from one QuickBooks version to a new or some other version i.e.; (Pro, Premier, or Enterprise) then there stands no need to change or upgrade company files.
Prepare Company File before Upgrade
Before we proceed to upgrade company files, there needs to be a thorough check-through to ensure that everything is well settled and sorted before the process of upgradation. Examination of the data in the corporate files for problems twice stands mandatory, because once converted it is no good for any further modification.
Mentioned below are the parts that help in firm file conversion and updating company files.
Keep in mind to sort all six of the big lists again
- The creation of a portable company file is a must.
- In the name of the company file, avoid using alphanumeric characters (! @#$%&*).
- You may see a list of Vendors, Customers, and Employees by clicking the icon in the top bar. Search the list once you’ve seen it.
- Next, choose Re-sort list from the View menu.
- Item List: Go to the list, then choose Item list, and finally click on Account in the bottom left corner. The last choice is the resort list which can also be viewed in the window.
- The Chart of Account: Now, Click on Account in the bottom left to see the Account Chart; the last option is the Re-sort list.
- After the subsequent step, proceed to Reset the admin password or password hint since the passcode occasionally causes a problem, therefore reset the password for security reasons.
- Rebuild the data: rebuild your company’s data, with the help of the official Intuit website.
- Verify the data: Thereafter, Visit the Intuit website for more information on data verification.
- Search the error in the QBWin.log file and read the file for any errors- Read up on the QuickBooks log file.
To Upgrade your Company File Keep Note of the following pointers
Make note of the following while upgrade company files.
A. Ensure to not update your QuickBooks Company File over a network.
B. Only the Admin user can convert or upgrade a business file in QuickBooks.
C. Previous versions cannot open upgraded QuickBooks Data files.
Upgrade your Company File
You must upgrade company files whenever you upgrade to a newer version (year) of QuickBooks Desktop. A corporation file only has to be upgraded once. Pay special light to the fact that This is not the same as an update your QuickBooks Desktop software.
Step 1: To Initially Install QuickBooks
- For the foremost step, as an admin user proceed to Sign In to Windows.
- Next, check if you haven’t already downloaded your new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Proceed to Install the new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 2: To Prepare the Company File
- First, a tab opens the original version of your QuickBooks and then opens the company file you want to upgrade.
- For viewing the product information window, press the F2 Key
- Thereafter, look into the File information section.
- After the subsequent step, run the Rebuild Tool for your company file.
Step 3: To Upgrade your Company File
- The First step, make sure that all the users are logged out.
- Next, move and open your new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, select open or Restore company file.
- Thereafter, click on open a company file and hit on the option saying Next.
- Navigate your system to locate your company file.
- Click on the same to Open.
- Next, proceed to sign in as an admin user.
- Once the above step is done, proceed to choose the option naming as Update Now to start the upgrade.
- When QuickBooks is done upgrading the option will appear on the screen and then hit on Done.
Step 4: To Update QuickBooks Desktop
Once you are fully done with the upgradation process, and then open your company file proceed to update QuickBooks so you have the latest software release.
Is it possible to open the old QuickBooks file with the new version?
Yes, You can update your file from an older version of QuickBooks to a newer one, but you cannot utilize the upgraded file in the older version.
What are some tips to achieve a seamless QuickBooks Company File Upgrade?
You must adhere to the following crucial points:
● Recreate your data file.
● Examine your Qbwin.log file for any error warnings.
● Your lists are being resorted to.
● Validate your data file.
● Check that the QB updated data files are in excellent condition.
Can Enterprise company files just work in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise editions?
Well, technically the answer to the above-stated version is a big fat Yes, all Enterprise company files can work in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise editions.
How does QuickBooks Administrator update files?
Well, for this process, After installing a new version of QuickBooks, access and update your company data file. This technique moves company files from an older version of QuickBooks to a newer one. If you have never created any additional users or roles in QuickBooks, you are the Admin user.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.