Let’s start our article about the “setup and how to use time tracking in QuickBooks“. In QuickBooks, the Time tracking feature enables you to set up the timings for the employee’s hours, with the ease of the billable clock.
Every organization needs timings to set up the timings for the employee and helps you in many aspects. To use the time tracking feature more effectively you should know how to set it up and use the time tracking feature. Once you know about setting up and methods to use time tracking, you can manage things.
Table of Contents
- 1 Features of Time Tracking in QuickBooks Desktop
- 2 How to Setup the Time Tracking Feature of QuickBooks
- 3 Create Weekly Timesheet and Time Data Report
Features of Time Tracking in QuickBooks Desktop
- It saves dollars by eliminating manual data entry and avoiding costly mistakes.
- Accelerate payrolls to save time.
- Facile time tracking as per service, customer & class.
- Optimize billing time.
- Reduce payroll expenses.
- Cover job costing requirements.
How to Setup the Time Tracking Feature of QuickBooks
Below are the steps to set up the time tracking feature:
Option 1: Setup the Time Tracking feature of QuickBooks
- Open the QuickBooks
- Sign in as Administrator in single-user mode
- Go to Edit>>Select preferences
- Select the option Time and expenses under the preferences window
- Now choose the company preferences tab
- Select yes for the Do you track option
- Now you need to select the start tracking time from the drop-down First day of the workweek
- After selecting the day click on ok and it’s done.
Option 2: Set up Employees for Time Tracking
- First, go to the Employee Center and double-click on the employee’s name
- Select the payroll info
- Now choose the USe time data when creating paychecks and then select OK.
Create Weekly Timesheet and Time Data Report
Timesheet is used to enter the date of the employees to create employee payrolls. To create the same follow the below points:
- Enter the time
- Now enter a single activity or weekly timesheet to track hours
Enter a Weekly Timesheet
Creating a weekly timesheet is very important to track every employee’s hours. To do the same just go ahead as per the steps mentioned below:
- Choose the employee name
- Now if the work is billable select the customer jobs and service item
- Select the Billable column
- Select the payroll item for the period an employee worked
- Now add WC code and class as per your preferences
- Select the column for the specific day on which time is worked
- Mention the worked hours to be used in the payroll item
- Repeat the same steps for each hour till the week is finished
- Now click save and close.
Steps to Create the Time Data Report
The below steps help you to create the time by Name report which shows the employee name and customer name related to the timesheet, the total number of hours for which an employee worked, and shows the data as per the customized reports.
- Go to Reports >>Jobs
- Select the timings and Mileage
- Choose the time by name
- Select to customize the report
- Now in the display window, if you want to add some more columns you can add them through filters or by clicking the name or the filter which you want to indulge in the report
- To display multiple items
- => Click the down arrow for the names selected
- => select the option Multiple
- => Now choose the items from the given list
- Click ok to apply the changes which you have done
- To save the changes also click OK
Sometimes you need to change the day of the week on the timesheet. The below information helps you to do the same.
- Go to edit >> Preferences
- Select time and expenses or Time tracking
- Select the company preferences
- Go to the drop-down menu and click it
- Now choose the day from where you want to start your workweek
- Click Ok.
For any assistance simply get connected with the QuickBooks Helpdesk. QuickBooks experts Consultant experts are available always 24*7 to assist you with the latest and advanced tools and information. All the technicians are professional, polite, and experienced so that they can assist you with the best resolution.