One such QuickBooks error that is commonly reported by the users is software unable to open company file in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks the file you specified cannot be opened issue mentioned by the user.
How to Fix the Unable to Open Company File in QuickBooks Desktop
If the company file opens on your desktop, the problem is with the file’s placement. Your company file has to be transferred to a new folder. Open your company file again after doing a repair and reinstall QuickBooks. Try opening your file once more.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks and check your file type
- Update QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent version.
- To open a company file (.QBW), confirm that it is one. Other file formats, such as backups (QBB) and portable files (QBM), cannot be opened in the same manner.
- Verify that your file is not encrypted or compressed:
- Select Properties by right-clicking on the company file and then selecting Advanced.
- Uncheck the boxes next to Compress and Encrypt.
- Choose OK.
Solution 2: Don’t save the desktop when you close QuickBooks
When you close your company file, QuickBooks will reopen any windows that were left open. QuickBooks may crash upon starting if you have a large report open or several windows configured to launch automatically.
To open your company file without saved windows:
- First, you have to open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose your company file under No Company Open.
- Select Open while holding down ALT on the keyboard. Keep holding ALT down until the file opens.
- Release ALT and input your password if QuickBooks prompts you to sign in.
- Select OK by pressing and holding ALT once more.
If your company opens successfully, disable the setting to save the desktop when closing.
- Click Edit and then choose Preferences.
- Then you have to select Desktop View
- Choose Don’t Save the Desktop and then click OK.
- Open your company file after closing and reopening QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Turn off hosting on your workstations
Turn off Host Multi-User Access on your workstations if you host your company files on a network. The file should only be stored on the server computer.
To turn off hosting on your workstations:
- On one of your computers, you have to open QuickBooks.
- Keep your company file closed. Instead, select File, followed by Utilities.
- Avoid choosing Host Multi-User Access if you see it. Move to the following workstation. The issue is not with this one.
- Select Stop Hosting Multi-User Access if you see it.
- On each of your workstations, repeat these steps.
Check your workstations, then proceed to the server computer. The PC that often hosts your company’s files is this one.
- Begin by opening QuickBooks on your server computer.
- Open Utilities first, then the File. Select Host Multi-User Access if there is an option.
- Turn on and off the multi-user configuration.
- Select Stop Hosting Multi-User Access under File, Utilities.
- Choose Host Multi-User Access under File > Utilities.
- Open your company file once more if you can.
Solution 4: Open a sample company file
To find out whether the issue is with your company file or QuickBooks, try opening a sample file.
- Activate the Windows Start button.
- Using the CTRL key on your keyboard, choose QuickBooks.
- Hold CTRL in place until QuickBooks opens.
- To open a sample file, choose it.
The software is the problem if QuickBooks or the sample file won’t open or if an error appears. Here’s how to get QuickBooks to open if it won’t otherwise.
Solution 5: Move your company file
Make sure everyone is signed out if you share a company file over a network. Then carry on with these steps:
- Open File Explorer by going to Start, typing it into the search bar, then clicking OK.
- Locate the folder containing the company file. In your QuickBooks folder, typically. It appears as follows: [Your company name].qbw.
- A copy can be chosen when you right-click on your company file.
- Choose Paste by performing a right-click anywhere on your desktop.
- Then you have to open QuickBooks.
- Next, choose Open or restore company from the File menu.
- Choose Open after selecting the business file you copied to your desktop.
If you are still unable to open your company file, there may be data damage. If you are able to open another file. You might try to repair the data damage in your company file or try to restore a recent backup.
How to Troubleshoot the File you Specified Cannot Be Opened in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
QuickBooks encounters this problem at the time of installing payroll updates, or when opening state or federal forms. You may also face this error when paying scheduled liabilities.
The file exists
The file you specified can’t be opened
The best possible way to resolve the issue is to restart the system and toggle the Account settings. This may itself resolve the issue but if you continue to face the bug then QuickBooks may need repair.
Solution I- Run as Administrator
- First, you have to open the Windows Start button.
- Then search for QuickBooks there.
- Your results ought to appear in the Search window.
- Select the year and version of QuickBooks by using the right-click menu.
- Now you have to select Run and select Administrator.
- Then you have to Run the payroll update
- Close your QuickBooks and open it normally, once it is completed.
Solution 2: Update Windows Permissions
- Begin by opening the Windows Start menu
- Then open File Explorer by typing File Explorer into the search box.
- Find the software file for QuickBooks. It should look like this.
|Processor Type||File Path for QBW32.EXE|
|32-bit||C:\program files\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
|64-bit||C:\program files x86\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
- Right-click the QBW32.EXE file that contains the QuickBooks application and choose Properties.
- Then you have to select Security, then click Edit.
- Choose to Add and Type everyone into the window, then click OK.
- Select the Full control checkbox in the Security window, after which click OK.
- Select Add once more. Enter Users in the window and then click OK.
- Select the Full control checkbox in the Security window, after which click OK.
- When you are finished, click Apply, and then click OK to save your changes.
Step for Windows Vista Users
- Go to Windows and click on the Control Panel tab.
- Now choose to click on the user accounts and family safety tab.
- Choose User Accounts. This you can find in the User Account window.
- Click on the link with a message, Turn Account Control on/off.
- If in case the UAC tab check box is selected, then choose to clear it and then hit OK.
- Restart the Computer in case you are prompted.
- Follow the above steps and make sure the checkbox beside is cleared.
- Choosing the check box displays the message “The file you specified cannot be opened.
- Assure that it is not used by another program or a read-only file.”
- In case you get a notification to restart the computer you can click Restart Now.
- Windows Vista users can click the QuickBooks shortcut >> choose Run as Administrator.
Step for the Windows 7 Users
- On your windows desktop page, click on the Start button.
- Open up the UAC settings and then hit the control panel.
- Enter UAC in the search box >> click Change User Account Control settings
- Attempt any one of the following-
- Switch Off your UAC filter: This can be easily done by heading over the UAC tab and making the slider to the Never notify button. Hit Ok when you are done. Please make sure that here you will be notified of admin access. Thus supply with the required info and reboot your system. This will bring all changes into effect.
- Turn on UAC: You can do this by toggling the roller. Follow the steps above and provide the confirmation for admin access.
- If you continue to receive the message, repair QuickBooks.
- If you continue to receive the message, uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks.
Still, if the problem does not get resolved you can call QuickBooks customer care Consultant. The expert Consultant team is easily approachable over the toll-free phone number, email Consultant, or online chat. You can even give us a call at our QuickBooks error consultant and talk to our experts now.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to fix company file issues in QuickBooks Desktop?
● QuickBooks Desktop includes a Rebuild Data feature that automatically corrects small company file data issues.
● Navigate to the File menu.
● Then pick Rebuild Data under Utilities.
● Select OK on the QuickBooks Information window.
● To save a backup, follow the instructions on-screen.
How to open a QuickBooks file that won’t open?
● Choose your company file under No Company Open.
● Select Open while holding down ALT on the keyboard.
● Keep holding ALT down until the file opens.
● Release ALT and input your password if QuickBooks prompts you to sign in.
How to fix company file and network issues in QuickBooks?
● Close QuickBooks first, then open the tool hub application.
● Now select the Company File Issues option from the tool hub.
● Select Quick Fix My File next.
● Once the process is finished you have to press OK.
● Open QuickBooks again on your PC.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.