Has anyone been having problems with QuickBooks freezes or crashes and hangs on startup. Users may encounter various issues when QuickBooks freezes while performing specific actions when they try to open a new window in the QuickBooks file.
However, there are a few things that can go wrong with QuickBooks Desktop or Online and users may experience freezes or crashes on startup.
What is QuickBooks Freezing or QuickBooks Crashing Issue
You may be trying to print an invoice, use the register, customize a report…whatever you’re trying to do, QuickBooks Freezes or Crashes instead of opening up that next print, register, or customization window. If you are encountering issues with your QuickBooks then most likely the problem is not the software itself. QuickBooks Freezes or Crashes while opening a company file, QuickBooks freezes when printing, and QuickBooks may freeze while working on QuickBooks or performing actions. In the majority of the cases, windows are found to be at fault. Here is the error that you may receive.
QuickBooks does not actually freeze an offscreen next to it has just opened
This simply means that the windows have opened outside visible range due to the monitor setup. This error also suggests that QuickBooks has frozen and the windows are waiting for the input.
Reason When QuickBooks Freezes or Crashes on Startup
There are many reasons for this QuickBooks freezes or crashes on startup.
- Verify or Rebuild Data Utilities has not detected an error
- QuickBooks freezes while sending email
- Your computer is too old or too new.
- Your data file is too big.
- You like to protect your computer with anti-virus.
- Your hard drive is corrupted.
- Your data file is damaged/corrupt.
- Your company name is too long.
- Damaged program files or QuickBooks Desktop installation.
What is Common When QuickBooks Crashes
- On startup
- When attaching or opening a file
- When clicking on send forms
- When opening the check register
- When Opening a Company File/Changing from One Company to Another
- When Emailing an Invoice or saving
- Freezes when printing
How to Fix QuickBooks Freezes or Crashes on Startup
This is very general and now recognized the problem when you try to open QuickBooks but it does not respond/open and nothing happens. Here is what you have to do in such a case. Here is the best solution that you can perform that will help you resolve the QuickBooks freezes or crashes on startup errors.
Step I: Use of Escape Key (ESC)
- Identify the task due to which your QuickBooks freezes, and perform the task again.
- Now, press the escape button from your keyboard.
- Now, perform the same task again if your error is not resolved.
- Once you press the ESC key from your keyboard, most open will be closed by QuickBooks (The recently opened offscreen one).
- Once it is closed, reset it into the currently visible area of windows.
- Next time, if you try to perform the same option
- Check that an appropriate window appears and QuickBooks freezes, no longer while performing any task.
Step II- Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the below steps to suppress the Desktop while starting QuickBooks.
- First, you have to press and hold the Ctrl key
- Then you have to double-click your QuickBooks program icon
- Hold down the Control key until the no Company Open window appears.
Use these steps to disable the Desktop while opening a company file.
- From the No Company Open window, you have to choose the desired company file.
- Hold down the Alt key.
- Select Open from the menu.
- Till the login window displays you have to keep holding down the Alt key.
- Alt should be released.
- Specify your login information and Hold down the Alt key.
- Once your file has fully opened, click OK while holding down the Alt key. A blank desktop will be visible in QuickBooks.
Step III: Uninstall and Repair QuickBooks
If you are using any of the above windows versions to use QuickBooks and there is a complaint regarding QuickBooks freezing continuously then here is what you can do.
- Press Windows + E to open the computer’s windows.
- Now click on the computer tab in Windows 8.
- Now, change the program or click on uninstall.
- Now, select QuickBooks.
- Once QuickBooks software opens, click on change/uninstall.
- If you simply press the uninstall button then you may end up deleting your QuickBooks data and the software itself.
- First go to the QuickBooks Server Windows
- Then select next after that click radio repair button
- After that select next and repair.
- Thereafter select finish then this will repair your QuickBooks Server configuration.
- Now, open your QuickBooks server file menu and check whether the problem is still within the software or not.
QuickBooks for Mac Keeps Crashing
The rare possibility under which you will see QuickBooks crashing using on MAC would be when you have shut down from QuickBooks with windows minimized.
Reasons QuickBooks for Mac Keeps Crashing
- You may be using QuickBooks with some corrupted driver or the extension of the system might be damaged. If this is the issue that it can simply be resolved by rebooting the system.
- Another possibility is that you might have infected data that would be bothering your work. To rectify this issue, you would need to go to the files tab within QuickBooks and choose to select Rebuild data under the utility tab.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks for Mac Keeps Crashing
If your QuickBooks for MAC keeps crashing, you may be able to fix the problem. Here are some steps to take:-
- Check out the library section of your system.
- Click on the library’s tab and a window will appear.
- Click on preferences.
- Here you will find files with extension .plist.
- If you see them then drag them to the trash.
- Now log back to your QuickBooks account again then you will see the problem resolved.
QuickBooks Freezes When Printing
But at times, there arise certain issues and you might complain that QuickBooks freezes when printing or QuickBooks not responding when printing. The error occurs when you try to print or save an invoice as a pdf file.
Why your QuickBooks Freezes or Stops Responding When Printing
QuickBooks freezing while printing may be due to different factors. These can be.
- Incorrect selection of printer or
- Incompatible printer.
- Incompatible QuickBooks version etc.
- Default printer problem on your PC.
- 64 Bit Problems.
Method to Fix QuickBooks Freezes or Not Responding When Printing
Follow the below instructions, guides, and steps to fix the issue of the freeze while printing.
Method I: Installing QuickBooks Updates
After you buy QuickBooks software, it is very important to keep on installing all the latest updates of QuickBooks software in order to keep enjoying all the feature, which includes the ability to print too. Thus when there comes an update and you don’t install it then oftentimes, it hinders your work, and QuickBooks freezes when printing error becomes a common cause.
- To do QuickBooks updates, here is what you can do.
- Click on the Help button on the top menu bar of QuickBooks.
- Choose Update QuickBooks.
- Now just wait for the update to finish.
Method II: Remove PDF Printing Problem
Your QuickBooks may freeze while printing due to some kind of PDF printing issue too. If there is any kind of communication gap between your QuickBooks software and the PDF converter, your printer may freeze.
- It is suggested to get the Intuit PDF Diagnostic Tool.
- This tool primarily will let you identify the PDF converter in your QuickBooks software.
Method III: Remove QuickBooks Installation Problem
You may face printer-related issues even when you update. This might be because your printer may now not support your QuickBooks version and you might want to install a new printer. At times, while you update or install your QuickBooks software, you might make some changes that might cause printing issues.
Understanding QuickBooks Freeze/Crash Upon Opening or Closing- Causes and Solutions
Follow the below tips to fix the QuickBooks freeze issue while opening or closing.
- Select all applications that begin with .qb, QuickBooks, or Intuit in your Task Manager.
- Click End Task at the bottom.
- The Task Manager window should be closed.
- In order to determine if the root cause is User, Data, Application, or System, you must suppress the Desktop when you reopen QuickBooks.
What to do my QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2021 Crashes at Startup?
We’ll run the Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to resolve this issue.
- Install the latest QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Open the file and select Program Problems.
- Choose Quick Fix my Program.
- Open your data file in QuickBooks Desktop.
What to do my QuickBooks Pro 2019 Crashes on Start-up?
- First of all update QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019 version.
- If issue
- Run the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
QuickBooks error consultant professionals are at your service 24/7. Get in touch with us and get your QuickBooks Freezes or Crashes or any query sorted, all with ease. Here are some of our connectivity Channels.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.