File with a .QBX extension is a company file within QuickBooks that is kept with an accountant. If you face issues opening the file then let’s check out “how do I open a QBX file in QuickBooks“. This file extension is often sometimes referred to as Accountant’s transfer file. The file is generally not editable but it sure comes to the rescue of those whose QB files are damaged. If you are looking to restore a company file from .QBX file extension then you would have to first convert the file.
How to Open a .QBX File in QuickBooks?
You can open the .QBX file in QuickBooks an editable format by:
- First converting QBX file in QBA format and then,
- Finally converting QBA file into QBW workable file.
If you are confused over how to convert the files then follow along and you will be able to do that with ease.
How to Convert .QBX File into an Accountant’s Copy
.QBA file format is an accountant’s copy. You can convert an accountant’s copy from accountant’s transfer file. In order to do that, you would need to follow the steps below:
- Login to your Quickbooks dashboard and click on the files menu located on the navigation panel.
- From the drop down menu, choose to click on “send company file tab”.
- From the dialogue that appears, click on the Accountant copy tab.
- This will show you a list of options, you would need to click on “Convert accountant’s file”.
- This will show you a window, wherein you would need to browse the .QBX file that you want to convert.
- Choose the file and open it with in Quickbooks.
- If the file asks you to enter the password then submit the same and hit OK.
- Go through the info and choose OK.
- Once the file is converted, save it in your preferred location.
- Follow the instructions that come along and hit OK and your file will be successfully converted and saved as Accountant’s copy.
How to Convert .QBX File into an Company’s file
So far you have created an accountant’s copy (.QBA) of your QuickBooks company file, but to make it workable, you would need to have .QBW file. This is how you would be able to edit entries within the file. To do so, create a .QBW file extension of your file. Follow the steps to do the same:
- By having your Quickbooks logged in, choose to click on the Accountant’s copy tab.
- Follow the same process as above and click on the Accountant’s copy tab.
- Click on the option that says “Convert Accountant’s copy”.
- This will open up a dialogue box, wherein you would need to select the accountant’s copy (.QBA file).
- Browse to the location, where you have to save the file and click to open it within your Quickbooks.
- Change the name of the file and include .QBW at the end of the file name.
- Browse the location where you would like to save the file and hit OK.
Though you have created a .QBW file, but most likely you would still not be able to access the file fully. This is because of the restrictions levied by an accountant. In order to fix this issue:
- Open up the company file,
- Click on the Accountant’s copy and click on the option that says Remove Restrictions.
- If you don’t see the option already then after clicking on the accountant’s copy, choose Clients activities
- From there click on the Remove restrictions
- You will now receive a message. Check mark the box beside the option that says, “Yes, Remove applied restrictions”.
- Hit Ok and you will be able to remove all the necessary restrictions and your file will now be fully editable with no restrictions at all.
QBX is sure can be of great help if your own Quickbooks company file gets corrupted. Thus now worry no more, if you lose your company data as QuickBooks will sure have a backup for you.
Do write to us, if you have resolved your issue “QBX File in QuickBooks”. This will be a gesture of your appreciation. In case you are not able to fix the problem then we would request you to still write to us so that we can provide you with customized help.
You can even give us a call at our QuickBooks Support Telephone Number for USA, Canada and UK or chat with our Proadvisor now.