QuickBooks has today turned into one of the best accounting tools that manufacturers and businesses are using. The software was created for small businesses and provides users with many features that can help users manage accounts. Here’s you will read how to “Edit or Delete Journal Entry in QuickBooks“.
- 1 QuickBooks Journal Entry:
- 2 How to Edit and Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks
- 3 How to Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks Online?
- 4 How to Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks Desktop?
- 5 How to Delete Multiple Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online?
- 6 How to Restore a Deleted Journal Entry in QuickBooks Online?
- 7 FAQ’s
QuickBooks Journal Entry:
Journal entry is a handy feature that is made available within QuickBooks. Maintaining them is as easy as handling them manually. Thus if you have any transaction then create and delete a journal entry, Import journal entry QuickBooks, Adjust journal entry QuickBooks will make things easy understand, but if you have any entry that has been wrongly created then deleting them is now no more an issue. Just follow the steps above and you will be able to do that by yourself.
If you are using this tool then many times you might need a journal entry to get some kind of transaction into the QuickBooks database. Thus today we will guide you on:
- How to view journal entries in QuickBooks,
- How to edit a journal entry in QuickBooks and finally,
- How to delete a journal entry in QuickBooks.
🔔 Points to note:
1️⃣ You have QuickBooks installed on your desktop. If you are looking to buy the program, then download the trial version, clicking on this link: “how to download QuickBooks“.
2️⃣ You are not new to this accounting platform, but if you then check out: “How to get started with QuickBooks online“.
3️⃣ You already have your companies profile setup. If you are facing issues then click on this link: “How to set up multiple companies in QuickBooks“.
How to Edit and Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks
Follow all steps and instructions to edit and delete a journal entry..
Total Time: 10 minutes
Steps to Edit a Journal Entry in QuickBooks
Edit a Journal Entry in QuickBooks
🔹 First of all, click on the Company menu in the QuickBooks desktop account
🔹 Then click on option Make General Journal Entries
🔹 Click on the Find
🔹 After that, provide the details in Date, name, amount, and entry number field
🔹 Hit on the Find button below
🔹 For updates, double-click on the Journal entry and do the updates
🔹 When it is complete click on the Save and Close button
🔹 Click on the Yes button to record all the changes in it.
Steps to Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks
🔹 Click “Lists” at the top of the screen: and select the list that has the entry you want to delete.
🔹 The list opens on the screen, providing access to all of the list’s entries.
🔹 Click the entry that you want to delete to highlight it: Do not double-click the entry or a window appears on the screen, preventing you from deleting the entry.
🔹 If you do double-click the entry, close the window by clicking the “X” in the upper right corner of the window.
🔹 Click “Edit” in the top menu and select “Delete X,”: with the name of the list in place of the “X.”
Alternative Way to Delete Journal Entry in QuickBooks:
🔹 Click on the “Company’s tab”.
🔹 This you can find on the upper menu of your screen.
🔹 Now select “Make Journal Entries.”
🔹 Click the “Previous” or “Next” buttons.
🔹 Continue to do that until you see the entry you want to delete.
🔹 Click the “Edit” option in the upper menu and select “Delete General Journal”.
How to Delete a Line in a Journal Entry in QuickBooks?
For deleting a line in a journal entry in QuickBooks you have to press and hold the Ctrl + Delete key from the keyboard and you are done with this.
You just have to select the entry that you want to delete and then press these keys.
How to Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks Online?
- Open your QuickBooks Online account
- Then go to the settings by clicking on the Gear like icon
- Click on the Chart of Accounts
- For the transaction, you have to select the correct account
- Click on the Account history that is in the Action column
- You have to select the Journal entry you want to delete and then click on the Delete option
- Give the confirmation by clicking on the Yes button to delete the entry in your account.
How to Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks Desktop?
- In QuickBooks, go to the Company menu option
- Then select the option Make General Journal Entries
- Click on the Find option
- Now enter the details like amount, name, entry number, and the date, and click on the Find button given below
- On the Journal entry, double-click and then click on the Delete option
- After that, click on the OK button to confirm the deletion
- In the end, click on the Save and Close button to save all the changes.
How to Delete Multiple Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online?
- For this, open QuickBooks Online
- Go to the Banking menu option
- Select the account in which you have to perform the batch delete action
- Click on the tab For review
- Now mark the multiple items that you want to delete
- Select the button Batch actions
- Hit the cursor on Exclude Selected option
- After this, select the tab name Excluded
- Now again, mark all the transactions and click on the button Batch actions
- In the end, click on the delete button to delete multiple journal entries in QuickBooks online account.
How to Restore a Deleted Journal Entry in QuickBooks Online?
The restore action is not available in QuickBooks. So, you are not able to restore a deleted journal entry in QuickBooks online and create accounts payable journal entry in QuickBooks. Instead of this, you can view the details of the deleted entry using the Audit log and then recreate the entry manually. The steps are:-
To view the Details of the Deleted Entry:-
- In QuickBooks, click on the Gear like icon
- Click on the Audit Log option
- Then select the Filter option and click on the All Users in the field of Users
- Click on the Date field and choose the All Dates option
- In the field of Events, you have to mark the box of the transactions
- Go to the Show field and click on the Deleted/Voided Transactions
- After that, click on the button Apply to get it done
- Now, you get the Deleted Journal entry to view it click on the View option
- Select the option added history and then do take the note of the details that you get.
To Recreate the Journal Entry:-
- Go to the + icon to create the new one
- Now select the Journal Entry option as you want to create it
- Provide all the details like Journal date and other details too
- In the end, click on the Save and Close button.
Hope you are now able to delete a journal entry in QuickBooks, but if you are still facing an issue then call our QuickBooks Proadvisor, are readily available 24/7 to sort out your issue.
You can even give us a call at our QuickBooks technical help for USA, Canada and chat with Proadvisor now.
What if I Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks mistakenly but now I want to reverse that journal entry?
● Go to the settings option that is the gear icon in QuickBooks
● Then choose Chart of Accounts
● Click on the account for whose journal entry you are talking about
● Select the option Account History
● In the Account Register, locate the Journal Entry
● Check that the Journal word is in the Type column or Ref No
● Expand the view of Journal Entry then click on the Edit button
● Choose option Reverse
● Then click on the Save button and you are done.
When you Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks and then reverse it then what is the difference in information?
● The Journal entry keeps the information the same as before like Name, Description, and Account that was the same in the original journal entry.
● This new journal entry has the original journal number and also adds the letter R. This letter R means that it is reconciled.
● The new journal entry is also dated as the first day of the month by following the date of the original journal entry.
How to Export a Journal Entry before Delete a Journal Entry in QuickBooks?
● Go to the Accountant menu in QuickBooks
● Click on General journal entries
● Select the dates from the drop-down menu
● Tick mark the entries that you want to export before deleting it
● Click on the option Email as an attachment to send the Journal Entries
● You have to click the button Save as File to save the journal entries as .QBJ files.
● After exporting, you can delete the journal entry.