When using QuickBooks, users face many issues in which error code 15106 is one of them. It generally takes place when the client tries to refresh the program. It is due to the failure of updates that interrupt QuickBooks’s finance and unable to refresh it. Here in the below article, you will learn how to fix QuickBooks error 15106, which generally encounters updating processes this error comes under QuickBooks 15xxx series error.
Our support team will provide you with solutions on every step of the way to troubleshoot the error. However, this article also gives you the option of resolving the issue by yourself by following few steps. In case the fixing method does not work we are always there to help you.
As we know that QuickBooks is an essential tool for keeping the accounts of your business up to date in an effective and efficient manner. QuickBooks is user-friendly accounting software that helps you not only in managing your payroll, but inventory, tracking requirements of the customers as well as keeping your tax up-to-date. The software has many benefits and advantages.
- 1 What is QuickBooks Error 15106
- 2 Why QuickBooks Update Error 15106 Occurs?
- 3 What Causes QuickBooks Error 15106?
- 4 How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
- 5 How to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
What is QuickBooks Error 15106
The error code 15106 is one of QuickBooks’ most irritating errors while updating QuickBooks and payroll latest version. The primary reason behind this error code is update failure, which becomes barriers in refreshing the program.
Why QuickBooks Update Error 15106 Occurs?
Here are the significant causes:
- When users do not log in with an administrator mode
- Sometimes Antivirus is blocking the Update of the installed application in your system.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 15106?
When you try to update the QuickBokos Payroll you see the message ‘The update program cannot be opened. The update program is damaged’. You might think why is this message being displayed? There are two possible reasons that causes the Error 15106, they are:
- In the web root antivirus software, ‘Spy sweeper’ is present.
- When you have not logged in as the administrator then you will face limitations in reading and writing new files, making it difficult for you to undertake the required tasks.
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
You can resolve the Error 15106 by following these simple steps given below. While performing any of these steps you face any kind of difficulty, do contact us, our technical support team will help you in following the steps.
- In case you have not logged in as the administrator then you have to log out and then log in as the administrator. In all likelihood once you switch in, as administrator the issue might get resolved. If the error continues then go to the next step.
- There is a chance that the problem is being created by the Spy Sweeper and you can search of its presence in your computer system. To look for it you need to follow these steps:
- You have to open the Windows Task Manager. To do that, you need to press Ctrl+Shift+Esc together.
- Next click on the ‘Process’ tab and search for the ‘Spy Sweeper.exe.’ Once you have located you can either
- Once you have located it in the processing tab you have to remove it. To do that you have to uninstall it by opening the ‘Add/Remove programs’. This should help you to rectify the problem.
- If you cannot locate the Spy Sweeper in the computer system then you have to go to the C drive. Next from there navigate to C:Program FilesCommon FilesIntuitQuickBooksxxComponents. You are now required rename the downloadqb<nn> folder as download<nn>.old. And then reset the QuickBooks update.
These steps should resolve QuickBooks error 15106, in case it does not then go to the next step.
- If you are using Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8 you can try to turn off the User Account Control temporarily to trouble shoot the error 15106.
- If the problem continues you can try Selective Startup and perform a clean install of QuickBooks.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
Since you have analyzed what all things may create this blunder code, now it’s time to find the accurate resolutions for resolving the QuickBooks error 15106. Here is the list of troubleshooting methods you need to follow to fix error:
Total Time: 45 minutes
Solution 1: Logging in the QuickBooks with Administrator Mode
In all things you should consider for troubleshooting, you need to log in as an administrator. For this, you need to locate the QuickBooks Desktop icon and then do a right-click on it. After this, choose Run as Administrator. It will switch the access to Administrator mode.
Solution 2: Pause Antivirus and then Rename Folders
Here are the steps:
✅ Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys altogether on the keyboard.
✅ Locate Processes option then search for Antivirus.exe file
✅ If you receive an error, then uninstall it.
✅ Choose End Process
✅ Now rename the update folder of QuickBooks.
✅ Now open File Explorer by pressing the Windows +E key of your keyword.
✅ Locate C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components
✅ Search for downloadqbXX folder and then do a right-click on it
✅ Choose Rename. Here XX specifies the year version you are using QuickBooks.
✅ Now enter .old to the end of the name.
Re-update the QuickBooks:
✅ Close the QuickBooks and company files
✅ Now open the Windows Start icon.
✅ Discover QuickBooks Desktop and do a right-click on the icon
✅ Choose Run as Administrator
✅ Locate No Company Open screen and search for Help option
✅ Hit on Update QuickBooks Desktop
✅ Select the Options button and then choose Mark All
✅ Click Save button
✅ Hit on Update Now option and choose the checkbox named Reset Update
✅ Once you are prepared, click on Get Updates
Solution 3: Turn off UAC
Follow the below steps:
✅ Open the Run window by pressing Windows+R keys altogether.
✅ Enter Control Panel and then Hit on OK button
✅ Choose User Accounts and then hit on User Accounts.
✅ Click on Change user account control settings.
✅ Hit on Yes to proceed
✅ Move the slider and set or Always Notify and OK to turn UAC on or Set to Never Notify and then click OK to Off UAC.
✅ At last restart the system
Solution 4: Start QuickBooks installation in a Selective Startup
✅ Collect the mandatory data like a backup of the company file, product and license information
✅ Open Run window
✅ Enter MSConfig and then hit on OK button
✅ Locate General option, choose Selective Startup, and then Load System services
✅ Hit on the Service option and then choose to Hide all Microsoft Services
✅ Choose Disable all
✅ Unselect the Hide all Microsoft Service Checkbox
✅ Ensure that the checkbox named Windows Installer is chosen from the listed services. If not, then choose the checkbox.
✅ Hit on OK button
✅ Locate the System Configuration window and then choose the Restart button
✅ Now uninstall or install QuickBooks Desktop.
✅ Once done, switch back to Normal Startup mode.
✅ Here are the steps for the normal configuration:
✅ Open Run window
✅ Enter MSConfig and then Hit on OK button
✅ Locate the General button and then click on Normal Startup
✅ Choose OK button
✅ Now click on the Restart button displaying on the System Configuration window.
Hopefully, the above article about how to fix error 15106 in QuickBooks seems helpful for you! If still confused or need to explore additional information on the same, then call QuickBooks Desktop Support. The hub of a professional team is there to help you in solving the issues. If you want on-spot resolution, then do chatting via the live chat option available on the screen’s right side. You can also drop an email with your doubts.