“QuickBooks Database Server Manager” plays an important role in QuickBooks Desktop and most of the users are still not well aware of this particular tool.
Don’t worry, we come with this ultimate guide for the purpose to provide a clear understanding and enhance knowledge by collecting the information from this guide. It also helps users to handle and manage their QuickBooks accounting software more smartly and effectively. Let’s start with the definition and will see further one by one.
- 1 QuickBooks Database Server Manager: Definition
- 2 Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 3 Steps to Setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 4 Steps to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 5 Manual Uses of QuickBooks Database Server Manager Tool
- 6 Procedure to Uninstall QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 7 How to Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 8 Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
- 9 FAQ’s
QuickBooks Database Server Manager: Definition
It is also commonly known as Intuit’s personal database management tool and directly associated with the QuickBooks Desktop. If users want to use multiple QuickBooks versions then it is required to install the tool and also you’ll not be able to use QB Desktop without using the QBDBMS tool.
Once you install the tool then it makes most of your activities easier and also you can easily create network data files on the host system or the host workstation for every company file.
Enhance your knowledge by exploring the procedure of setup and updating and collecting all QuickBooks Database Server Manager-related information. Before getting started with the procedures, you should know about the uses of QBDBMS tools that are mentioned below:
- Check automatically the local storage device to detect a new file (company file).
- It will scan the company files which is mandatory for multi-user access.
- Create .ND file on the host server.
- Track the local hard drives in your system.
Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Initially, go to Host computer and look for the QuickBooks Installer
- Next, open the installation wizard by double-clicking on the same
- Now you can download and update the tool by accessing the Internet access in the host computer
- After that, hit the next button
- Once you’re done with that, close all the background running program and hit Next again
- Carefully read and accept the “Software License Agreement” and then again hit the Next button
- Now select the Network or customer options along with that choose an installation type
- After that click on the option “Yes allow access” and perform the on-screen procedure in order to complete the installation process
- Once the installation process completes then you go with the further steps to set up the QB database server manager that is discussed below.
Steps to Setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- The very first, scan the files/folders which are to be configured for multi-user access from the QBDSM tool
- Make sure that the company file configuration is properly done in order to provide the multi-user access
- If you wish to add a new QuickBooks company file to the server, you can use the administrative service tool and keep the database server manager up-to-date
- Also, verify that company file is connected to server and users are logged into the company files
- Sometimes, users wish to change their service status and in such case configure and make use of the “Service Administrative Tool”
- Lastly, add the functionality of upgrading and uploading to the QB server.
Steps to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Check out the steps involved in the QBDSM update process which is quite easy. Let’s follow the listed steps below:
- Firstly, download the latest release update of QuickBooks Desktop and also ensure that the latest version is the same for both computer and server
- After that, you receive a message on your screen once the update process is finished
- Next, create a backup for the file and then perform the on-screen instructions
- You can then open your database server tool with new features and innovations after following the on-screen instructions.
Manual Uses of QuickBooks Database Server Manager Tool
Here are some of the uses of QuickBooks Database Server Manager manually and users find these features and benefits pretty easy to use. Just have a look:
Processes to Scan Folders
- Initially, go to the host system and then press the Windows Start button from your keyboard
- Now, type “database” in the open search tab to open the QB database server manager tool
- Next, click on the “Scan Folders” once it open and then browse the folders consisting of the company file (QBW)
- Finally, once the above processes are completed, hit the “Ok” button, and then select the option “Start Scan” to scan.
Note: In any case, you are not able to find the exact location of the folder or the company files then you can scan the entire drive.
Processes to Remove Folder
- Open the QBDSM tool to remove/delete a folder.
- Next, go to the section named “Scan folder” that is listed in the folders.
- Now select the desired folder that you wish to remove from the listed folders. Finally, click on the option “Remove Folder”.
Processes to Add a Folder
- The very first, go to Tool and look for the “folders” option.
- When you find then click on the same button and choose the file/folder that you wish to add.
Processes to Open the Tool
- Firstly, press the Windows start button. Next, select the “Programs” option and look for the “QuickBooks” option.
- After that, you can see the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”, just click on that and open the server.
Processes to Scan a QuickBooks Company File
- Go to the database server tool and hit the “Scan” folder option. Next, check out the company file location.
- In case, you are unable to find the location then select the entire disks to scan. Click on the “Scan” folder to scan the process.
Processes to Update Features
- Initially, open the Tool and click on the “Updates” option and then follow the on-screen instructions in order to install the updates.
Processes to Repair the QuickBooks Database
- Go to the “File” menu and then select the “Utilities” and rebuild data.
- After that go to the information window and then hit “Ok” button. Click on the “Ok” button once the repairing process completes.
Procedure to Uninstall QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Users should also know the uninstall process including installing processes because it happens when sometimes users wish to uninstall the tool due to various reasons. So, here are the steps to uninstall:
- The very first, go to option named “Programs & Features” and then click on the uninstall software
- After that, select and click on “QuickBooks database server manager”
- Now, from the top of the windows, you can see the option uninstall or change then select the same
- With the help of on-screen instruction, you can easily uninstall and remove the “QBDSM Tool”
- At last, verify that the uninstall process is complete.
How to Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Users can restart the Tool with two methods. Have a look at the methods one by one:
When the QuickBooks Desktop and Database Server Manager is installed on the computer
- Initially, open the QuickBooks Desktop on the main computer
- Next, select the option named “open or restore company” within the “File” menu
- After that, select the option named “Open a company file” and then choose the desire company file
- Once you’re done with that, click on the “Next” button
- To proceed further, select the checkbox named “Open file in multi-user mode” and open it
- Once you complete all the process then log into the company file and then select the “Close Company/Logoff” option within the “file” menu
- At last, reopen the Tool once again, you need to press the Windows Start button and type “Database” in the search box.
When the Database Server Manager only Installed on the Computer:
- Firstly, press the Windows start button form the keyboard.
- Then find the Control Panel and select the Administrative Tools.
- Now look for the “Services once the administrative tool” open.
- After that, right-click on the “QuickBooksDBXX” service and then hit the “Restart” option.
- Finally, you can see the QuickBooks Database server manager Tool will reopen once again.
So, the Tool offers you many benefits once you install the QuickBooks Database server manager then you can easily access the company file from other computers on your network. This lets you and users on your network work together in QuickBooks Desktop from multiple computers.
In any case, if you are not able to understand or are stuck in any steps then it is suggested you seek assistance from the QuickBooks help desk team by dialing a toll-free number. You can also approach them via email at email@example.com or do a live chat with a dedicated professional.
Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
Where is QuickBooks Database Server Manager located?
● In your system, click on the Start or Windows button
● Then click on All Programs and search for the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
● You can also directly search in the Start’s search field
● Then double-click on the option to open it
● After that, you can scan the folders and have your company file.
How to Turn Off QuickBooks Database Manager?
To turn it off you have to uninstall it from your system. So for this, you have to follow some simple steps that are:-
● Open the Control panel in your system
● Then click on the Programs and Features option
Now open the Run window by pressing and holding the Windows + R keys
Write appwiz.cpl and click on the OK button and it opens the Program and Features window
● In the Programs and Features window, search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager and click on it
● Click on the option shown Uninstall/Change
● Then follow the steps shown on your screen to uninstall it
● This way the QuickBooks Database Server Manager got turned off.