Multi-users enable you to share the accounting software and its data with other computers. Learn how to set up multi-user network in QuickBooks Desktop. Multiple users from multiple systems will have access to the same accounting data, enabling collaboration between large teams.
However, before you can enjoy the benefits of this feature, you need to set up the settings and preferences to enable it. To set up a multi-user network on QuickBooks desktop, you need to configure the accounting software, windows, and the server.
In this article, you will find steps to Set-up a multi-user network in QuickBooks in QuickBooks Desktop. Also, before starting, make sure that you have already downloaded and installed the QuickBooks desktop on your server.
Requirements Before Setting up a Multi-user Network
The requirements for set-up a multi-user network in QuickBooks Desktop are provided below:
- QuickBooks desktop installed on the server computer
- Admin account for windows
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager
How to Set up Multi-User Network in QuickBooks
The primary server system will host the software and the company file. All the other systems, known as workstations, will have the software on them but not the company file. All the changes made to the company file from any workstation will be synced with all the other workstations.
Step 1: Install QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the steps provided below to download and install QuickBooks on your network computer.
- Download QuickBooks setup and launch it
- Follow the instructions provided by the installation wizard.
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- Enter License and Product numbers and then click on Next
- Choose Custom and Network Options. Select Next
- From the provided options, click on: ‘I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing…’ or,
- I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer
- Follow the rest of the instructions provided by the installation wizard
- Click on Finish.
If you store the company file on the local hard drive of your server, it will become easier to share it on the network. You can also keep your files on a mapped network drive.
Step 2: Set Folder Permission
You need to allow the folder which contains the company file to be shared over the network. Without this permission, you’ll constantly get network errors when trying to access the company file.
Follow the steps provided below to set folder permission:
- Log into Windows with an admin account
- Open the File Explorer
- Go to the folder which contains the company file
- Right-click on the empty area and select Properties
- Click on Sharing and then Select Share Add
- Select the QBDataServiceUserXX version corresponding to your version of QuickBooks Desktop
- Set permission level to Full Control for both users
- Select Share and then click on OK.
Step 3: Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
This free tool provided by Intuit enables users to share their company files over a network. It makes it easier to configure the multiuser mode and tracks all the changes made from multiple workstations.
Go to this link to download the QuickBooks database server manager. Once you’ve done so, you need to configure the firewall so that other workstations can connect to the company file without interference:
- Go to the start menu
- Go to the Control Panel
- Select Windows Firewall
- Click on Advanced Settings
- Click on Inbound Rules and then New Rule
- Click on Program and then Next
- From the provided options, select This Program Path. Click on Browse
- Find the executable listed below
- Click on Next
- Mark the option for Allow the Connection
- Select Next
- Give a name and description of the rule.
Step 4: Need to Create Rules
- You’ll have to create an outbound rule for all of the files. The steps are similar.
- The files that you need to create rules for are mentioned below:
- file management
- Online backup
All these files are executable (.exe). You may also need to create exceptions for ports in QuickBooks. Once you’ve finished creating both the inbound and outbound rules for each of the files mentioned above, restart your system.
You can now scan your QuickBooks company file using the database server manager.
Step 5: Switch on Hosting
After setting everything up, you need to switch on hosting for QuickBooks, if the hosting mode is off. The steps to do so are provided below:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and log in with an Admin Account
- From the main menu, select File
- Click on Utilities
- Select Host Multi-User Access
- Click on Yes.
Once you’ve switched on hosting, you can install and configure QuickBooks on other workstations. The company file can be accessed from all of the workstations without any issues.
To know more or for any help with set-up a multi-user network and fixing multiuser mode not working issue in QuickBooks Desktop connect QuickBooks Consultant helpdesk team.
Get solutions to all of your accounting and bookkeeping problems with industry leading experts
How do I set up multi-user mode and What devices are compatible with QuickBooks POS?
You have to follow the given steps to set up your multi-user mode in QB POS.
● Step1: First, set up your folder permissions
● Step2: Configure your Windows Firewall settings
● Step3: Next, switch the server to multi-user mode
● Step4: Configure your workstation number (It is optional).
The listed devices are easily compatible with QuickBooks Point of Sale (POS):
● Cash drawers
● Tag and label printers
● Card readers
● PIN pads
● Barcode scanners
● Physical inventory scanners
● Receipt printers, and more.
Do you have Multiple User Versions? How much will it cost to add more users?
Yes, A license is needed for each distinct user. There are separate sales for each license. QuickBooks must be the exact same version and year on every copy. A maximum of 3 paying customers are permitted with Pro Plus ($200 for each additional user). You can have up to 5 paying customers with Premier Plus ($300 for each additional user). ProAdvisor Bundles are limited to a single user per license. For a solo subscription to QuickBooks Desktop Accountant Plus, accountants who need additional licenses can get in touch with sales.