This article focuses on one of their most commonly faced errors and how to fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable error when opening a file on a workstation by following a few easy steps. Users, out of all kinds of errors, most frequently run into the QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable error.
Anyone who has not encountered this error while using the QuickBooks Desktop application might wonder what this error is about. The QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable error means that the application has run into a terminal fault. This might happen to a user if they try to open a QuickBooks file that the software cannot reach for some reason. In this scenario, the user gets a prompt saying that QuickBooks has encountered a problem and that it needs to close, along with a 10-digit error code.
Reasons for this QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when Opening a File on a Workstation
Some of the scenarios when the QuickBooks Unrecoverable error might occur are listed below.
- When a QuickBooks Desktop file is opened on a workstation.
- When trying to export a QuickBooks Desktop file from the software to the workstation.
- When recording a transaction.
- If the company file has some kind of damaged data.
- When creating a backup company file.
- Hardware or software issues in the workstation which is running QuickBooks Desktop
- Power outages. For example, if there is an outage and a personal computer (PC) is being used to work, the PC might reboot, causing the software to crash.
- Any network glitches while working on a company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
- I am not using the updated version of QuickBooks Desktop or the updated version of the operating system which the workstation is running.
Now that you are familiar with the possible reasons for this QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable error when opening a file on a workstation, let us now look at the repercussions of this error and what its effects are on it.
Sometimes a user might not realize while working that they might be potentially walking towards the QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable error. The software tries to tell the user that they might be facing this error soon by displaying one of the following kinds of misbehavior.
- QuickBooks Desktop crashes on its own.
- QuickBooks Desktop crashes every time the user tries to run the software.
- QuickBooks Desktop freezes, and the user is not able to work anymore.
- QuickBooks Desktop does not offer updates to the newer versions to the user.
- Some transactions on a company file might not be saved even if the user saves them manually, causing the user to be unable to find the transaction.
How to Resolve the QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when Opening a File on a Workstation
Follow the below steps to fix the QuickBooks unrecoverable error when opening a file on a workstation.
Solution 1: Prevent QuickBooks Desktop to open multiple windows during start-up
- When the user tries to open QuickBooks Desktop on their workstation, they will have to press and hold the ALT key on their keyboard and then double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Now the user will see a dialogue box on the screen.
- At this point, they are supposed to release the ALT key and enter the login credentials for the account in which they are trying to log in.
- Then the user needs to hit ‘OK’ and press the ALT key again.
- After this, they can simply release the ALT key and the process would have been completed.
Solution 2: Figuring out the kind of user
These are the steps to follow if the admin user is affected.
- First, the user needs to download the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Then they need to download the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
- The doctor tool will then automatically figure out and resolve the issue.
If a regular user is affected.
- Firstly the user needs to select ‘Set up user and password and choose ‘Set up user’.
- If using the Enterprise version, the user needs to select the ‘Users’ option in the ‘Company’ tab.
- Next, the user needs to choose ‘Set up customers and roles’.
- Now the user can add a new user by entering the login credentials for them.
- Keep in mind to avoid the username that was previously being used to log in.
- For any customization, the user can choose ‘Customise the customer’ and then hit ‘Finish’.
- Now the user needs to log off, then try logging back in using the newly created credentials.
Solution 3: Export the company file to the workstation
- First, the user needs to open the folder where the company file is stored.
- Then, the user needs to locate the file with the extension ‘.qwb’.
- The user needs to then copy the file and paste it onto their workstation.
- Finally, the user needs to press and hold the CTRL key on their keyboard and double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop application. It will say ‘No company open’, and the user can then open the file they pasted on their workstation.
Solution 4: Running the Reboot file
- The user will first have to navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks and find the ‘reboot.bat’ file.
- Now the user will have to right-click on the reboot file and run it as an admin, and the issue should have been resolved.
Solution 5: Opening a Sample company file
- To do this, the user just needs to go to the ‘No company open’ window and then choose ‘Open a sample file.
- Then they can choose any sample file from the list in front of them.
Solution 6: Creating a new admin for Windows
- First, the user needs to open Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> Family and other users
- Then they need to choose ‘Add someone else to this PC’.
- Then, the user needs to select ‘I do not have this person’s sign-in information and click ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Now, the user needs to type in a name for the new user and hit ‘Finish’. Then they would also need to provide a new password.
- Then, the user needs to select ‘Recently Produced’, then ‘Account Type’, select the ‘Administrator’ option, and hit ‘OK’.
- First, the user will have to open the ‘Control Panel, which they can find by typing in ‘control’ in the start menu.
- Then, the user needs to go to User Accounts -> Manage another account -> Other accounts -> Add an account.
- Then the user will have to log in with their Microsoft account and then select the ‘Local Account’ tab.
- Now the user will have to enter a new username, password, and a password hint, and press ‘Next’.
- The user will be redirected to the ‘Manage another account’ window. At this juncture, they need to choose the newly created user and hit ‘Edit’, and select ‘Admin’.
- The user can hit ‘OK’ and they will have successfully created a new administrator.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.