QuickBooks software is quite susceptible to data corruption and damage. This is where you need Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows or MAC to come into action. If there arises any problem within your QuickBooks then the program always comes with a backup plan.
Any issue within QuickBooks inadvertently leads to improper working of the software wherein the user is unable to get access to their company file or maybe software. If the issue is only of data damage then the best option user has is Rebuild Utilities which is performed after verify tool has been employed.
QuickBooks Rebuild Data: Things you should know
These tools generally go hand in hand and are called verify and rebuild data utilities. This is one of the most common troubleshooting methods employed for identifying and resolving data damage both for Windows and Mac users. Under Verify Data utility the user is able to identify any and all data problems within the software, on the other hand, the rebuild data utility aids in resolving most of these identified problems within the company file.
- Users should run both the Rebuild and Verify utility on the system which is hosting the company file for the tools to work properly.
- Rebuild Data Utility automatically generates a backup of the company file. Although users can store the file anywhere on the system but should remember the location.
Common Scenarios Wherein Rebuild Feature is Employed
QuickBooks rebuild data can be made use of under the following cases.
- Critical technical errors when accessing QuickBooks Desktop.
- Issues found on reports, like bills and invoices reported with negative values.
- All the accounts are not displayed on the Balance Sheet.
- Names along with transactions are missing from the lists.
- The user should scan the company file with a data check-up to ensure there is no error.
- Payments already deposited are mistakenly added under the Payments yet to be deposited section.
Why do you need QuickBooks Rebuild Data?
- Transactions are missing.
- The business file fails to open.
- Names are lost from the company list.
- Balance sheet reports are not showing all the accounts.
- You receive error messages while using QuickBooks.
- You are not able to save transactions.
- QB breaks down when you click on the option to save a transaction.
Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
The most common issues in a company file are found by the verify tool and the rebuild tool fixes them.
Method I- Verify Company Data
- You have to go to Windows and then you have to select Close All.
- Then you have to go to the File, then you have to select Utilities.
- Now you have to select Verify Data. In case you see:
- QuickBooks detected no problems with your data- You don’t need to do anything else because your data is clean.
- Find the solution to an error message on our QuickBooks Desktop support.
- Your data has become corrupt- There is data damage in the file. To repair it, rebuild your data.
Method II- Rebuild Company File Data
- Begin by going to File, then click on Utilities, and then you have to select Rebuild Data.
- Before rebuilding your company file, QuickBooks will request you to create a backup. Choose OK. You cannot rebuild without a backup.
- Choose a location to save your backup, then click OK. Replace only one backup file.
- Then you have to enter a new name in the File name and then you have to select Save.
- When you see the message Rebuild has finished, click OK.
- To check for more damage, go to File, select Utilities, and then pick Verify Data once more.
- You will have to do manual repairs if the verification reveals additional damage.
- On the QuickBooks Desktop support website, look up the error(s) in the qbwin.log to learn how to fix them.
- You can restore a recent backup if your error cannot be found. Select Open or Restore Company under File.
Verify and Rebuild QuickBooks Company Data File for MAC
The most common company file data issues are found and then fixed by the QuickBooks verify and rebuild tools.
Method I- Verify Company File Data
Use the verify tool in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to scan your company file for errors or data damage before you rebuild your company file.
- First, you have to select File, then you have to select Utilities.
- Select OK to close all windows after choosing Verify Data. You must rebuild your file if the message Your data has failed the integrity check appears. You are done if there are no issues with your data.
Step II- Rebuild Company File Data
After verifying your data, you can rebuild your company file to fix any errors or data damage that is found.
- Begin you have to select File, then you have to select Utilities.
- Then you have to select Rebuild Data, then you have to select Ok to close all windows.
- Now QuickBooks will ask to make a backup before rebuilding your company file, then select OK. If a backup is not something you wish to undertake, choose Cancel to keep rebuilding your company file.
- QuickBooks will prompt you to adjust your backup choices if you haven’t already done so. Select Backup Preferences, make any necessary changes, and then click OK.
- When the backup is complete, choose Show in Finder to find the backup or choose OK to conclude.
- Select OK once the rebuild is complete.
Verify your company file once more to ensure it is free of errors and data loss. Rebuild the file again if you still see problems or damage.
Rebuild the File Again if Still Facing Company File Errors via Manually
If you feel confident repairing errors manually, you can find a list of all error messages and their troubleshooting instructions in the Verify Results window. Make careful to create a backup of your company file before you begin.
Fix Errors with the use of Transaction Record Numbers
When you verify your company file in QuickBooks, it helps to find. You will have a link to open your QuickBooks.log file if your file contains any issues. The list of errors in your company file is contained in this file.
To access your QuickBooks.log file whenever you want.
- You have to hold your command key, and then you have to select Go and Library.
- Click the Logs folder twice.
- Click the QuickBooks.log file twice.
From the QuickBooks.log file.
The terms RecNum and RefNum are used to refer to record numbers. These are QuickBooks internal record numbers. For example, suppose you receive the message “Verify Employee YTD Bal: ytd out of balance.” Dan T. Miller is his name. Ref = 55.” In this example, the record number is 55.
- Select Find after choosing Edit.
- Enter the record number after searching for @recnum. Like this: @recnum 55.
- QuickBooks will look up all records that have the transaction number in them. Examine the outcomes, then change or resubmit the information to address the issue.
The above details are in terms of rebuilding data utility which helps to resolve minor data damage errors. For more information regarding the same user should connect with proficient QuickBooks experts. If the user is unable to get connected with this customer Consultant team, the user can try alternative QuickBooks consultant agencies like AskForAccounting through their Toll-Free Number or visit the website for QuickBooks Consultant for online chat help.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Rebuild data on QuickBooks mean?
● QuickBooks Desktop includes a Rebuild Data feature that automatically corrects small company file data errors.
● Then you have to go to the File menu, then pick Rebuild Data under Utilities.
● Select OK on the QuickBooks Information window.
● To save a backup you have to follow the onscreen instructions. Allow the program to fix your file.
How do I Verify and Rebuild data on QuickBooks Desktop?
● After choosing File, choose Utilities.
● Select OK to close all windows after choosing Verify Data.
● You must rebuild your file if the message “Your data has failed the integrity check” appears.
● You are done if there are no issues with your data.
How do I Restore a QuickBooks backup on my Mac?
● Go to the File menu in QuickBooks and choose Open or Restore Company.
● Then you have to click Next after choosing Restore a backup copy.
● Choose Local Backup, then click Next.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.