This error QuickBooks file cannot be opened or read-only is encountered when you try to open the company data file of QuickBooks in your Windows system. The error appears error appears if the file is read incorrectly on a Windows computer.
These situations are like QuickBooks desktop update, opening federal or state tax, QuickBooks Payroll update, and while paying scheduled liabilities. But the problem arises when QuickBooks is not able to access your files. This is when you see a message QuickBooks file cannot be opened or read incorrectly.
Some following errors when opening company files
What is the Error Message QuickBooks QuickBooks File Cannot be Opened or Read-only Issue
The error message is shown as The file cannot be opened or read only mode. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.” If the Windows error happens then it shows an error message as “The File exists”
So, to fix it you have to take the action by choosing the solution according to the cause and then implement it properly. The solution helps you to resolve the issue.
What are the Reasons for the Cause QuickBooks QuickBooks File Cannot be Opened or Read-only
This error QuickBooks file cannot be opened often occurs when users are trying to file is read incorrectly on a Windows computer.
- The installation of the QuickBooks you are doing is damaged or corrupted in between.
- QuickBooks not able to properly read the company data file
- The settings of User Account Control (UAC) is not set properly
- The company file you are opening is damaged.
- The configuration of the firewall to set the QuickBooks desktop in the settings for exchanging the data using the Intuit server is not done.
- QuickBooks folders or the file from where you are trying to open the company file is missing or deleted mistakenly.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop software is outdated.
- The third-party software like malware bytes, spyware, and many antivirus conflicts with your QuickBooks.
How to Resolve the Error Message QuickBooks File Cannot be Opened or Read-only
All the solutions are mentioned here so that you can fix QuickBooks file cannot be opened or only for read only. Choose the solution and process it in your system with a step-by-step guide.
Solution 1: For Repairing the QuickBooks Desktop in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11
- First of all close all the programs that are running in the background using the Task Manager
- Reboot your system to refresh it
- Open the Control Panel using the Start menu button
- When the Control Panel window opens up
- In this, click on the Programs and Features or Programs
- Then search for the QuickBooks name
- Right-click on it and select the option Uninstall
- After that, click on the Continue button
- You have to click on the option Repair your QuickBooks
- Wait for the process of repair to be done successfully
- Then click on the button name Finish and then reboot your system
- After restarting your system, open QuickBooks again in your system
- Then download the QuickBooks latest version by updating it
- Now you are done and not going to face the error after updating it.
Solution 2: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- First of all, download the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool in our system
- Now when the window opens and asked for the location to save the file, mention the location that you remember and save the file over there
- Go to the saved location and double-click on the downloaded file to run it in your system
- Also, check that you have closed all the background processes
- It takes a few minutes to install the tool in your system and it also depends on the configuration of the system
- When it is done then restart the system again to check that the installation you have done is correct
- Now re-activate the QuickBooks account When the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool is ready.
Solution 3: Update your QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release
- To update the QuickBooks
- Go to the Download and update page
- Then you have to click on the field Product and select the product you want to download. The products are QuickBooks pro and premier
- After that, choose the version of the QuickBooks product
- Click on the search option to search for the latest release and then select it
- After selecting, click on the Save option so it saves the update
- It starts the update installation and after this, reboots the system
- Now it’s done and the QuickBooks update is done successfully.
Solution 4: Give the Permissions to the Users
- In your system, right-click on the QuickBooks icon
- From the options, click on the Open File Location
- On your keyboard, press the key of Backspace to go back to the location of the folder
- Then select the QuickBooks folder and right-click on it
- Select the Properties option
- In the Properties window, go to the tab Security
- Click on the Edit and then click on the Add button
- You have to type Everyone and then click on the OK button
- Now you see the Full Control option, click on it
- Click on the button to apply
- Now, you have to repeat the above steps
- Then enter the users instead of the Everyone
- In the Control Panel, go to the Search bar
- Enter the UAC and then click on the Change User Account Control (UAC) configurations
- Do anyone of the following:-
- Switch off UAC- Drag the UAC slider to Never Notify then click on the OK button, and do save these settings.
- Switch ON UAC- Drag the slider to the When you want to be notified and click on the OK button and save the settings.
Solution 5: Run the File Name Reboot.bat File in the System
- Open the File Explorer
- Then go to the C: drive then
- Click on the Program files
- Search and open the Intuit file
- Click on the version of QuickBooks you are using
- Locate the reboot.bat file
- Double-click on the file to run it
- Restart your system to refresh it and start using QuickBooks.
If still, you are facing any issues or problems then you can get in touch with the QuickBooks error consultant number. The team is here 365 days a year to assist you with the best solution on QB file cannot be opened and information required by you.