QuickBooks accounting software grabs the top position in terms of managing the business accounting operations with complete accuracy. The software is excellent in handling company’s account receivables and also help your business to electronically transfer money. QuickBooks acts a repository to securely store company’s financial data in a single file with the extension .Qbw. If you ever want to edit, move or delete the files then you will have to access the location to make necessary changes.
- 1 How to Change QuickBooks Data File Location?
- 2 Data Repository – QuickBooks Data Stored
- 3 FAQ’s
- 3.1 What process do I need to perform if I want to change the location where backups are stored?
- 3.2 How to move the company file location to another computer in QuickBooks?
- 3.3 What do I do to move my QuickBooks company file to another location or folder on the computer?
- 3.4 How to change the QuickBooks company file name?
- 3.5 How many ways to backup QuickBooks company data files?
How to Change QuickBooks Data File Location?
Follow the following steps to change QuickBooks file location..
Total Time: 20 minutes
Step 1: Create a Backup of Data
🔹 In case you need to change QuickBooks data stored the default file location, then we recommend that you first create a backup of your data.
Step 2: Restore the backup
🔹 Restore the backup created to the desired location of the new company file.
Step 3: Change the location
🔹 Now proceed forward to change the location. Change the default path if:
🔹 If your file is located in C drive.
🔹 If you want to change the location within QuickBooks,
🔹 If the default path is set to windows.
Step 4: If your Company Files Located in C: Drive.
🔹 Click Start -> Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization.
🔹 Choose Folder Options -> Click View.
🔹 Choose Show hidden files, folders, and drives -> Click OK to view hidden files.
🔹 Click Start -> Computer.
🔹 Click the “C:” icon,
🔹 Click the Users folder,
🔹 Then choose Public -> Documents,
🔹 Click the Intuit -> then QuickBooks folder,
🔹 Click the Company Files folder,
🔹 Find out the files with .QBW extension,
🔹 Click to the .QBW file -> Select desired option or write down the directory path for future reference,
🔹 Again follow the first step. Click do not show hidden files, folders, and drives under the Advanced settings,
🔹 Click OK to view the changes.
Data Repository – QuickBooks Data Stored
QuickBooks stores its crucial company data in different locations. If you are searching QuickBooks company file on your desktop then the below-listed steps will help you. Follow the steps in the given order:
- Start QuickBooks and login to company file.
- Click on the files tab on the top to find Previous Company.
- You will get the correct path that will allow you to view the location of your company file.
- In case you need to find QuickBooks Company file on your desktop then:
- Go to C drive,
- Verify documents to locate program files,
- Under program files, you will view QuickBooks Company file.
- In case you need information related to a specific company file then press F2 and you will be able to view the detailed file summary.
Company Files Stored in QuickBooks
- Click on QuickBooks -> Start -> All Programs -> QuickBooks folder.
- Click on QuickBooks folder.
- Click the company file on the QuickBooks start-up screen.
- Press Ctrl + 1 to launch the product information window.
- View File Information for the directory path comprising QuickBooks.QBW file.
- Enter the directory path for future reference.
- Close QuickBooks program.
QuickBooks Company Files Located in Windows
- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization.
- Click Folder Options -> Choose View.
- Click to show hidden files, drives and folders” under the advanced settings.
- Click OK and hidden files are displayed on your computer.
- Click Start -> mention the *.QBW in the Search programs and files box.
- Results will be displayed immediately.
- Click the *.QBW file and choose the desired option else to write the directory path for future reference.
- Follow the first step but do not click on don’t show hidden files, folders, and drives under the Advanced settings.
- Click OK to accept the changes.
Following the steps discussed above you will not only be able to know “where is QuickBooks data stored” but will also be able to change their default file location.
In case you face any problem while finding the .QBW files, you should immediately report to QuickBooks customer support. The support team will handle the issues promptly and can be approached easily over toll-free phone support number. You can also use email id to connect with the team or can even prefer live chat for instant support.
You can even give us a call at our Quickbooks 24/7 Support Phone Number and chat with Proadvisor now.
What process do I need to perform if I want to change the location where backups are stored?
To change the backup stored location, you can follow the below steps:
● To change the backup stored location, you can follow the below steps:
● Go to the File menu and then select Backup Up Data
● Select Specify Alternate Location to save it to another location
● After that, choose the correct location or you have already save the location then simply click on appropriate location
● At last, click on Backup followed by Finish tab.
How to move the company file location to another computer in QuickBooks?
● Make sure you install the QuickBooks Desktop on your new PC before you start further steps
● Next, generate the backup company file on your original system
● Give a unique name to save your backup file so that you can easily identify (it will also prevents from accidental overwrites
● Save the backup file somewhere you can easily find it
● Move the company backup file to the new system
● You can either keep the backup on a flash drive or an external device
● You can also share the same if the system in on your same network
● After that, you have to restore the backup on the new PC
Note: Make sure that the file name should be unique
● Finally, you have to download the latest tax table, if you’re using QuickBooks Payroll services after moving the file.
What do I do to move my QuickBooks company file to another location or folder on the computer?
● Generate a backup company files
● Save the file with a unique name so that it is easy to identify
● Next, save the file somewhere you can easily find like in your Windows Desktop
Important Note: If you can easily host on the network, save backup on the local hard drive of the system. Don’t save the file on your network
● Finally, restore the backup to your new location or folder (Make sure it should be a unique filename).
How to change the QuickBooks company file name?
● At the top, click the option “Go to client’s QuickBooks drop-down.
● Choose the company file that you want to update.
● Go to the Gear icon and select Account and Settings under the Company section.
● On the Left Panel, move to the Company tab.
● Click the section named “Company Name” to maximize it.
● Finally, change the name of the client’s company.
How many ways to backup QuickBooks company data files?
Making backups of the data files periodically ensures you always have a recent copy of important accounting records. It also prevents you from the data loss. QuickBooks makes this process easy with lots of options for setting the reminder frequency for backups. So, you can back up the data file either automatically or manually. The below are the steps for both processes:
Manual Backup QuickBooks data file
● Go to the File menu and select the Backup option
● Next, click the tab named “Backup Company File”
● Hit the Browse button to change the filename and specify the backup location
● Click on the Save button and then Ok button.
Automatically Backup QuickBooks data file
● QuickBooks has two automatic methods to back up your file.
● The first method creates a backup file each time you close the file.
● The second method lets you schedule an unattended backup.
Automatically Backup when closing file
● Go to the File menu and select the Back Up
● Click on the tab “Schedule Backup”
● Click New button
● Do the appropriate selections within the window Schedule Backup
● Click Ok to save a new schedule.
● Schedule Unattended Backup
● Go to the File menu and select the Backup option
● Click tab “Schedule Backup” >> New button
● Choose an appropriate within the Schedule Backup window
● To save the new schedule, click Ok at last.