QuickBooks encounters so many technical and functional errors. Network Connectivity is one major reason for technical errors in QuickBooks. There are unfriendly times when Windows firewall blocks connection to the network for QuickBooks services. And this is when you face serious issues. “Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” is one major concern that needs to be fixed.
The QuickBooks connectivity errors are defined with specific codes such as:
These error codes are encountered by the QB users frequently due to firewall blocking your connection. At times it is very difficult to identify errors caused by Windows firewall. Even the QuickBooks file doctor tool fails to diagnose these errors. To remove the firewall blockage the users need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- 1 Authorize QuickBooks Services for Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks:
- 2 How to Resolve Windows Firewall Blocking QuickBooks Issue
- 3 FAQ’s
- 3.1 What can be the Reasons behind the Occurrence of Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks?
- 3.2 Does the configuration of the Firewall Ports help me to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016?
- 3.3 How do I troubleshoot Firewall issues manually in QuickBooks?
- 3.4 Why is adding Firewall Exception important in QuickBooks? Can it rectify Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issues?
- 3.5 Does rectifying the Anti-Virus software Settings help you to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issue?
- Move to Control Panel.
- Select Windows Firewall.
- Choose the message that says: “Allow the program through the firewall.”
- Choose that every program that needs to be allowed through Windows firewall.
- Click OK.
Allowing the QuickBooks services will make sure that Windows allows all the selected components through windows firewall. All the components are not registered by Windows on the system. This crops up the issue as the individual services installed along with QuickBooks still cannot be allowed through the firewall.
How to Resolve Windows Firewall Blocking QuickBooks Issue
Follow above steps to fix windows firewall issue..
Total Time: 15 minutes
🔹 Move to Control Panel
🔹 Locate where it says: “Windows firewall with adv. s”, you can navigate to the said option using windows firewall window.
🔹 Choose ‘New Rule’. View this option in the right panel of the latest opened window.
🔹 Click on Program.
🔹 Choose the checkbox against ‘This program Path’.
🔹 Browse and Choose the components for the service you want to allow. You can do this with the help of Ctrl+F option.
🔹 Go to the next window and choose the option ‘Allow the connection.’
🔹 Click on the next tab, check mark every option that is provided.
🔹 Enter the name of the rule. You can name it anything like: ‘Payroll Allow’ that will ease the task of seeking the rule afterward and make changes to it.
The users have to follow the similar rule for allowing the outbound connection. The users are supposed to choose the outbound option that is just beside the inbound option and then click on create a rule. Apart from this rest of the steps are similar to as inbound. Once done, open QuickBooks application. In case the error still persists then try turning off windows firewall.
If your data and software are on a separate server or a cloud server then you have to approach your service provider to fix the issue. The database synchronization errors can occur due to incorrect path mentioned to the software. Ensure that correct path for the company file in entered in your QuickBooks accounting software.
How to Turn off Windows Firewall?
If you are seeing the message “Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” more than often then you can try turning off these firewalls.
This is the last option to be followed else system becomes exposed to hackers, malware, and ransomware. This method should only be preferred to detect if the error is resolved by turning off the firewall.
- Move to Control Panel
- Choose Windows Firewall
- Click on ”Turn windows firewall on or off.”
- Click on disable windows firewall
Once done, open QuickBooks to check if the issue is resolved and if the error message “windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks”, has now been removed or not.
If it is, then switch back to windows firewall. It is an important element of windows security and is required to safeguard against hackers and malicious software. So it is suggested that firewalls settings should be turned off that come along with antivirus software.
Your security software may be at fault:
There is other security software such as antivirus, anti-malware, and firewall solutions. These security programs can block the connection of particular services so you can either turn off these software or uninstall them for a temporary period and continue using QB services.
If you are experiencing errors ensure to diagnose and troubleshoot with QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Its been reported that the QuickBooks file doctor tool is infected. Thus not safe as it may corrupt your company data within QuickBooks. Thus we suggest to either contact your QuickBooks Proadvisor or call for help.
The network connectivity issues can crop up due to many reasons and one of them is windows firewall. If you are still unable to access the QB service then contact your internet service provider.
Internet Service Providers can Come to Your Rescue:
The Internet service providers pre-block many ports that can be responsible for causing security issues. Sometimes the UDP ports are blocked which are essential for many services to connect to the internet. It is very easy for the internet service provider to resolve the problem or you can even connect with your QuickBooks technician to resolve your issue.
Hope you now have a clear understanding on what kind of error “windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” is and where to look for a quick fix. If you need any further assistance then, you can contact QuickBooks error support number. The support team can be reached by toll-free phone, email or live chat option.
Askforaccounting.com is a reputed QuickBooks support agency that roofs competent QuickBooks support team. The team identifies the nature of the error and provide instant resolution.
What can be the Reasons behind the Occurrence of Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks?
After observing the numerous reports from multiple users, we come to know about the most probable reasons due to which the issue arises. The reasons can be:
● Closed Ports: This error occurs when the machine fails to forward the ports that the program uses to connect to the internet. For the application to function properly, the user must forward the application’s relevant ports. Unlike many other applications, QuickBooks does not use a wide variety of ports. Instead depending on the version of the software that you’re using, it uses a particular port.
● Blocked in Firewall: The application itself may have been disabled by the Windows Firewall in some cases. It’s also likely that a third-party antivirus program has permanently blocked the application.
Does the configuration of the Firewall Ports help me to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016?
To allow the application to access the internet, firewall ports must be configured. By downloading and running this program, you can automatically configure these ports. If you don’t want it to happen automatically, follow the steps below:
● Initially, open QuickBooks Database Server Manager and click the tab called “Port Monitor”
● Note down the “Port Number” that are listed for the software
● Next, Open the Settings by pressing the key “Windows + I”
● Now, click on the “Update & Security”
● From the left pane, select the tab “Windows Security”
● After that, click on the option “Network Security”
● From the list, you have to select “Advanced Settings” button
● A new window will appear and in that click “Inbound Rules” >> “New Rule”
● Select the “Port” and then click Next
● Click on the “TCP” and select the option “Specified Local Ports”
● Depending on the version that you’re using for different port numbers
● Hit Next and then select “Allow the Connection”
● Again click Next and make sure that below three options should be checked
● Once again click Next and give a name for new rule
● After giving name, you have to select Next followed by Finish tab
● You have to repeat the same steps for “Outbound Rule” and then check whether the issue is fixed or not.
How do I troubleshoot Firewall issues manually in QuickBooks?
Firewall misconfiguration problems are typically resolved by handling firewall exceptions, which can be set specifically for QuickBooks. This may be set for the program’s ports, executable files that may be blocked by Windows or anti-virus software that may be bypassing applicable rules.
Why is adding Firewall Exception important in QuickBooks? Can it rectify Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issues?
Since the Windows Firewall can often block the application completely even though the ports are available, it’s important that the QuickBooks software has an exception in the Firewall. As a result, you’ll need to add the QuickBooks program to the Firewall’s exceptions to fix Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks:
● Go to the Windows Taskbar and In the search box, look for the Windows Defender Firewall
● Go to the Advanced Settings and configure a New Rule for both Inbound and Outbound Rules
● Choose the port verified on the QuickBooks Database Server manager
● At last, click on the Finish tab.
Does rectifying the Anti-Virus software Settings help you to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issue?
Users may need to reconfigure the settings for their anti-virus program in unusual circumstances. QuickBooks may have been one of the applications that unintentionally revoked general permissions for such applications. Unfortunately, handling anti-virus settings for various systems does not have a one-size-fits-all approach. However, regardless of anti-virus software, the basic concept of ensuring that the ports used by QuickBooks are available and that the executable files are not blocked remains the same.