QuickBooks encounters so many technical and functional errors, network connectivity is one major reason for technical errors. There are unfriendly times when a Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks connection to the network for QB services. The QuickBooks connectivity errors are defined with specific codes such as:
These error codes are encountered by QB users frequently due to the firewall blocking your connection. At times it is very difficult to identify errors caused by the Windows firewall. Even the QuickBooks file doctor tool fails to diagnose these errors. To remove the firewall blockage the users need to follow the below-mentioned steps.
Reasons behind the Occurrence of Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks
After observing the numerous reports from multiple users, we come to know about the most probable reasons why the issue arises. The reasons can be:
● Closed Ports: This error occurs when the machine fails to forward the ports that the program uses to connect to the internet. For the application to function properly, the user must forward the application’s relevant ports. Unlike many other applications, QuickBooks does not use a wide variety of ports. Instead of depending on the version of the software that you’re using, it uses a particular port.
● Blocked in Firewall: The application itself may have been disabled by the Windows Firewall in some cases. It’s also likely that a third-party antivirus program has permanently blocked the application.
Allowing the QuickBooks services will make sure that Windows allows all the selected components through the Windows firewall. All the components are not registered by Windows on the system. This crops up the issue as the individual services installed along with QuickBooks still cannot be allowed through the firewall.
Top Methods to Resolve Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks 2015 to 2024
Follow the above steps to fix the Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks.
Solution 1- Allow QuickBooks
- Move to the Control Panel
- Locate where it says: “Windows firewall with adv. s”, you can navigate to the said option using the Windows firewall window.
- Choose ‘New Rule’ then View this option in the right panel of the latest opened window.
- After that click on Program.
- Choose the checkbox against ‘This program Path’.
- Browse and choose the components for the service you want to allow.
- Go to the next window and choose the option Allow the connection.
- Click on the next tab, and checkmark every option that is provided.
- Enter the name of the rule. You can name it anything like: ‘Allow’ that will ease the task of seeking the rule afterward and making changes to it.
Solution 2- Authorize QuickBooks Services
- Move to the Control Panel.
- Select Windows Firewall.
- Choose the message that says: “Allow the program through the firewall.”
- Choose every program that needs to be allowed by QuickBooks through the Windows firewall.
- Click OK.
Solution 3- Turn Off Windows Firewall
If you are seeing the message “Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” more than often then you can try turning off these firewalls.
- Move to the Control Panel
- Choose Windows Firewall
- Click on ”Turn Windows Firewall on or off.”
- Click on disable Windows firewall
Solution 4- Block Windows Firewall
Follow the steps given below to disable the Windows firewall:
- Go to Control Panel then select Windows Firewall.
- From the left navigation panel, checkmark the tab that says, “Switch Windows firewall on/off.
- Click on Turn off Windows Firewall
- Click OK.
Solution 5- Change Inbound/Outbound Rules
Sometimes users must change the Inbound and Outbound rules found in QuickBooks. This can be done by following the steps given below.
- Go to the Windows Firewall.
- Choose Advanced Settings from the left navigation panel.
- Click on the tab “Inbound Rules”.
- Select New Rule
- Enter the ports that your version of QuickBooks needs to access
- Click on Next and select Allow the Connection.
- Save the settings and add a description for them.
- Repeat the same for outbound rules.
Solution 6 Set up Firewall and Security Settings
To configure the firewall manually you have to do any of the one processes out of these two processes:-
Step 1: Configure the Firewall Manually
Add the firewall port exception for the QuickBooks
If you have multiple versions of QuickBooks on the same computer then do this process for each version.
- Go to the Start menu in your Windows system
- Then in the Search box type Windows Firewall and open it by pressing the Enter button
- Go to the Advanced Settings
- Now, right-click on the option Inbound Rules
- After that, click on New Rule to create the new one
- Click on the Port and then click the Next button
- Check that the TCP is selected
- In the specific local ports, you have to enter the specific ports that are required according to the version of QuickBooks:-
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- Enter the port number and click the Next button
- Choose the option Allow the Connection and click on the Next button to proceed
- If a pop-up appears then check all profiles are selected and click the Next
- Now, create a rule and mention a name as QBPorts (year)
- At the end, when all set, click on the Finish button.
Create Windows exceptions for QuickBooks Programs
QuickBooks is using .exe files to perform the tasks so follow the steps to create the exception for each file that is available on the table.
- Go to the Start menu
- In the Search bar, type Windows Firewall and press Enter button
- In the Windows Firewall window, click on Advanced Settings
- Now, right-click on the Inbound Rules, or if you want to create Outbound Rules then right-click on it
- After that, choose New Rule
- Click on the Program and then press the Next button
- Select the option This Program Path
- Further, click on the Browse button
- You have to find and select the executable files that have .exe extension
- After selecting the file, click on the Next button to continue
- Choose Allow the Connection then click the Next button
- When a pop-up arrives on the screen, check all the profiles are marked and click the Next
- Then create a rule and give it a name as QBFirewallException(name.exe)
- After this, you are done.
You have to check your settings of antivirus in case you have already set the firewall but it is still creating issues. Check that the general permissions of QuickBooks are not blocked.
Step 2: Restart your Windows System
- Click on the Start menu button
- Then click on the Power button
- Further, choose the option Restart
- After that, wait for your system to restart
- When it is done successfully then you are all set
- Restart QuickBooks and you can continue your work now.
Hope you now have a clear understanding of what kind of error Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks and where to look for a quick fix. If you need any further assistance then, you can contact the QuickBooks error support number. The Consultant team can be reached by toll-free phone, email, or live chat option.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I troubleshoot Firewall issues manually in QuickBooks?
Firewall misconfiguration problems are typically resolved by handling firewall exceptions, which can be set specifically for QuickBooks. This may be set for the program’s ports, executable files that may be blocked by Windows, or anti-virus software that may be bypassing applicable rules.
Why is adding a Firewall Exception important in QuickBooks?
Since the Windows Firewall can often block the application completely even though the ports are available, the QuickBooks software must have an exception in the Firewall. As a result, you’ll need to add the QuickBooks program to the Firewall’s exceptions to fix Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks:
● Go to the Windows Taskbar and In the search box, look for the Windows Defender Firewall
● Go to the Advanced Settings and configure a New Rule for both Inbound and Outbound Rules
● Choose the port verified on the QuickBooks Database Server manager
● At last, click on the Finish tab.
Does rectifying the Anti-Virus software Settings help you to fix the Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks?
Users may need to reconfigure the settings for their anti-virus program in unusual circumstances. QuickBooks may have been one of the applications that unintentionally revoked general permissions for such applications. Unfortunately, handling anti-virus settings for various systems does not have a one-size-fits-all approach. However, regardless of anti-virus software, the basic concept of ensuring that the ports used by QuickBooks are available and that the executable files are not blocked remains the same.