QuickBooks encounters so many technical and functional errors. Network Connectivity is one major reason for technical errors in QuickBooks. There are unfriendly times when Windows firewall blocks connection to the network for QuickBooks services. And this is when you face serious issues. “Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” and QuickBooks firewall error is major concern that needs to be fixed.
The QuickBooks connectivity errors are defined with specific codes such as:
These error codes are encountered by the QB users frequently due to firewall blocking your connection. At times it is very difficult to identify errors caused by Windows firewall. Even the QuickBooks file doctor tool fails to diagnose these errors. To remove the firewall blockage the users need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- 1 Authorize QuickBooks Services for Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks:
- 2 How to Resolve Error Windows Firewall Blocking QuickBooks:
- 3 How to Turn Off Windows Firewall?
- 4 Set up Firewall and Security Settings for QuickBooks Desktop:
- 5 FAQ’s
- 5.1 What can be the Reasons behind the Occurrence of Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks?
- 5.2 Does the configuration of the Firewall Ports help me to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016?
- 5.3 How do I troubleshoot Firewall issues manually in QuickBooks?
- 5.4 Why is adding Firewall Exception important in QuickBooks? Can it rectify Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issues?
- 5.5 Does rectifying the Anti-Virus software Settings help you to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issue?
- Move to Control Panel.
- Select Windows Firewall.
- Choose the message that says: “Allow the program through the firewall.”
- Choose that every program that needs to be allowed QuickBooks through Windows firewall.
- Click OK.
Allowing the QuickBooks services will make sure that Windows allows all the selected components through windows firewall. All the components are not registered by Windows on the system. This crops up the issue as the individual services installed along with QuickBooks still cannot be allowed through the firewall.
How to Resolve Error Windows Firewall Blocking QuickBooks:
Follow above steps to fix windows firewall issue..
Total Time: 15 minutes
🔹 Move to Control Panel
🔹 Locate where it says: “Windows firewall with adv. s”, you can navigate to the said option using windows firewall window.
🔹 Choose ‘New Rule’. View this option in the right panel of the latest opened window.
🔹 Click on Program.
🔹 Choose the checkbox against ‘This program Path’.
🔹 Browse and Choose the components for the service you want to allow. You can do this with the help of Ctrl + F option.
🔹 Go to the next window and choose the option ‘Allow the connection.’
🔹 Click on the next tab, check mark every option that is provided.
🔹 Enter the name of the rule. You can name it anything like: ‘Payroll Allow’ that will ease the task of seeking the rule afterward and make changes to it.
The users have to follow the similar rule for allowing the outbound connection. The users are supposed to choose the outbound option that is just beside the inbound option and then click on create a rule. Apart from this rest of the steps are similar to as inbound. Once done, open QuickBooks application. In case the error still persists then try turning off windows firewall.
If your data and software are on a separate server or a cloud server then you have to approach your service provider to fix the issue. The database synchronization errors can occur due to incorrect path mentioned to the software. Ensure that correct path for the company file in entered in your QuickBooks accounting software.
How to Turn Off Windows Firewall?
If you are seeing the message “Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” more than often then you can try turning off these firewalls.
Caution: This is the last option to be followed else system becomes exposed to hackers, malware, and ransomware. This method should only be preferred to detect if the error is resolved by turning off the firewall.
- Move to Control Panel
- Choose Windows Firewall
- Click on ”Turn windows firewall on or off.”
- Click on disable windows firewall
Once done, open QuickBooks to check if the issue is resolved and if the error message “windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks”, has now been removed or not.
If it is, then switch back to windows firewall. It is an important element of windows security and is required to safeguard against hackers and malicious software. So it is suggested that firewalls settings should be turned off that come along with antivirus software.
Your Security Software may be at Fault:
There is other security software such as antivirus, anti-malware, and firewall solutions. These security programs can block the connection of particular services so you can either turn off these software or uninstall them for a temporary period and continue using QB services. If you are experiencing errors ensure to diagnose and troubleshoot with QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Warning: Its been reported that the QuickBooks file doctor tool is infected. Thus not safe as it may corrupt your company data within QuickBooks.
The network connectivity issues can crop up due to many reasons and one of them is windows firewall. If you are still unable to access the QB service then contact your internet service provider.
Internet Service Providers can Come to Your Rescue:
The Internet service providers pre-block many ports that can be responsible for causing security issues. Sometimes the UDP ports are blocked which are essential for many services to connect to the internet. It is very easy for the internet service provider to resolve the problem or you can even connect with your QuickBooks technician to resolve your issue.
Set up Firewall and Security Settings for QuickBooks Desktop:
To configure the firewall manually you have to do any of the one processes out of these two processes:-
Step 1: Configure the Firewall Manually:-
- Add the firewall port exception for the QuickBooks
If you have multiple versions of QuickBooks on the same computer then do this process for each version.
- Go to the Start menu into your Windows system
- Then in the Search box type Windows Firewall and open it by pressing Enter button
- Go to the Advanced Settings
- Now, right-click on the option Inbound Rules
- After that, click on New Rule to create the new one
- Click on the Port and then click the Next button
- Check that the TCP is selected
- In the specific local ports, you have to enter the specific ports that are required according to the version of QuickBooks:-
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- Enter the port number and click the Next button
- Choose the option Allow the Connection and click on the Next button to proceed
- If a pop-up appears then check all profiles are selected and click the Next
- Now, create a rule and mention a name as QBPorts (year)
- At the end, when all set, click on the Finish button.
For Outbound Rules, you have to repeat all the steps above and in Step d instead of Inbound rules click on the Outbound Rules
- Create Windows Firewall exceptions for QuickBooks Programs
QuickBooks is using .exe files to perform the tasks so follow the steps to create the exception for each file that is available on the table.
- Go to the Start menu
- In the Search bar, type Windows Firewall and press Enter button
- In the Windows Firewall window, click on Advanced Settings
- Now, right-click on the Inbound Rules or if you want to create Outbound Rules then right-click on it
- After that, choose New Rule
- Click on the Program and then press the Next button
- Select the option This Program Path
- Further, click on the Browse button
- You have to find and select the executable files that have .exe extension
- After selecting the file, click on the Next button to continue
- Choose the Allow the Connection then click the Next button
- When a pop-up arrives on screen, check all the profiles are marked and click the Next
- Then create a rule and give it a name as QBFirewallException(name.exe)
- After this, you are done.
Implement any one of the processes and after that open the QuickBooks Desktop software and switch to the multi-user mode. If there are still some issues or problems showing error messages on your screen then set the settings of antivirus.
- Set the antivirus or firewall program
You have to check your settings of antivirus in case you have already set the firewall but it is still creating issues. Check that the general permissions of QuickBooks are not blocked.
Step 2: Restart your Windows System:-
- Click on the Start menu button
- Then click on the Power button
- Further, choose the option Restart
- After that, wait for your system to restart
- When it is done successfully then you are all set
- Restart QuickBooks and you can continue your work now.
Hope you now have a clear understanding on what kind of error “windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks” is and where to look for a quick fix. If you need any further assistance then, you can contact QuickBooks error support number. The support team can be reached by toll-free phone, email or live chat option. Askforaccounting.com is a reputed QuickBooks support agency that roofs competent QuickBooks support team. The team identifies the nature of the error and provide instant resolution.
What can be the Reasons behind the Occurrence of Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks?
After observing the numerous reports from multiple users, we come to know about the most probable reasons due to which the issue arises. The reasons can be:
● Closed Ports: This error occurs when the machine fails to forward the ports that the program uses to connect to the internet. For the application to function properly, the user must forward the application’s relevant ports. Unlike many other applications, QuickBooks does not use a wide variety of ports. Instead depending on the version of the software that you’re using, it uses a particular port.
● Blocked in Firewall: The application itself may have been disabled by the Windows Firewall in some cases. It’s also likely that a third-party antivirus program has permanently blocked the application.
Does the configuration of the Firewall Ports help me to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016?
To allow the application to access the internet, QuickBooks database server firewall ports must be configured. By downloading and running this program, you can automatically configure these ports. If you don’t want it to happen automatically, follow the steps below:
● Initially, open QuickBooks Database Server Manager and click the tab called “Port Monitor”
● Note down the “Port Number” that are listed for the software
● Next, Open the Settings by pressing the key “Windows + I”
● Now, click on the “Update & Security”
● From the left pane, select the tab “Windows Security”
● After that, click on the option “Network Security”
● From the list, you have to select “Advanced Settings” button
● A new window will appear and in that click “Inbound Rules” >> “New Rule”
● Select the “Port” and then click Next
● Click on the “TCP” and select the option “Specified Local Ports”
● Depending on the version that you’re using for different port numbers
● Hit Next and then select “Allow the Connection”
● Again click Next and make sure that below three options should be checked
● Once again click Next and give a name for new rule
● After giving name, you have to select Next followed by Finish tab
● You have to repeat the same steps for “Outbound Rule” and then check whether the issue is fixed or not.
How do I troubleshoot Firewall issues manually in QuickBooks?
Firewall misconfiguration problems are typically resolved by handling firewall exceptions, which can be set specifically for QuickBooks. This may be set for the program’s ports, executable files that may be blocked by Windows or anti-virus software that may be bypassing applicable rules.
Why is adding Firewall Exception important in QuickBooks? Can it rectify Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issues?
Since the Windows Firewall can often block the application completely even though the ports are available, it’s important that the QuickBooks software has an exception in the Firewall. As a result, you’ll need to add the QuickBooks program to the Firewall’s exceptions to fix Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks:
● Go to the Windows Taskbar and In the search box, look for the Windows Defender Firewall
● Go to the Advanced Settings and configure a New Rule for both Inbound and Outbound Rules
● Choose the port verified on the QuickBooks Database Server manager
● At last, click on the Finish tab.
Does rectifying the Anti-Virus software Settings help you to fix Windows Firewall that is blocking QuickBooks 2015 and 2016 issue?
Users may need to reconfigure the settings for their anti-virus program in unusual circumstances. QuickBooks may have been one of the applications that unintentionally revoked general permissions for such applications. Unfortunately, handling anti-virus settings for various systems does not have a one-size-fits-all approach. However, regardless of anti-virus software, the basic concept of ensuring that the ports used by QuickBooks are available and that the executable files are not blocked remains the same.