In this article, read the causes and how to fix the company file issues. “QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816” is one of the common errors related to the QuickBooks 6000 series error code. This error code is tagged with an error message QuickBooks was unable to open the company file on the hosted computer or component repair win10.
What’s meant by QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
QuickBooks errors 6190 and 816 is a category of error that is reported by the users after using QB file doctor and QB Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool. The error message indicates restricted access to the QuickBooks company file. The error crops up with an error message.
“QuickBooks was not able to open the company file [path] in the central computer”
“component repair win10”
It indicates that your crucial business data is not accessible. The error occurs due to multiple reasons and becomes critical if not fixed at the right time.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
- TLG file (Transaction Log File) is not affiliated with that of the company file.
- TLG file comprises all the business transactions that are saved automatically by QuickBooks.
- The file is named as per the format – [Name of the company file].qbw. and tlg file.
- The user is allowed to convert the file into a company data file only (.qbw file).
- Incomplete or improper installation of the update released by Intuit also causes the error.
- Sometimes the company file is updated on one computer system without an updated transaction log file.
- In case the application is used by another user by any other client in Single user mode it restricts the user to access the company file.
- Due to corrupt company or data file.
What are the Symptoms of the QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
- The operating system starts freezing or crashing while working
- The software crashes when the error appears on your screen
- The system is not working properly or stops responding.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
The message An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816); the problem is with your multi-user network, not your data file. Here’s how to restart your multi-user network for QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 1: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
Many methods are here to resolve the QuickBooks error 6190 and 816. Go with the one of Tool Hub.
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool Hub helps in correcting common errors. To use the tool hub, you must close QuickBooks. We advise using Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit, for the best experience.
- You have to close QuickBooks first.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub‘s most recent version.
- Save the file where you can find it quickly, such as your Windows desktop or Downloads folder.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file you downloaded.
- To install and accept the terms and conditions, you have to follow the on-screen instructions.
- Double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool hub after installation.
Step 2: From the Tool Hub, run the Quick Fix my Program
- Select Program Problems from the QuickBooks Tool Hub menu.
- Then you have to choose Fix my Program.
- Open your data file in QuickBooks Desktop after starting it.
Solution 2: Restart all of your computers and servers
Sometimes a complete reset of your system is necessary. As you read, follow the instructions mentioned below.
- You have to restart your server computer (the one hosting your company file)
- Restart each workstation or any other networked computer that doesn’t host your company’s files.
- On your server computer open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Each workstation should have QuickBooks Desktop open.
Solution 3: From the Tool Hub, run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on Server
Your QuickBooks company file(s) are stored on your server computer. Your multi-user network will remain steady with the help of QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select Network Issues, then QuickBooks Database Server Manager, from the tool hub. If QuickBooks isn’t currently installed on your server, you will receive a request to do so.
- If you see your company file(s), you have to choose Start Scan. If not, choose Start Scan after browsing to the location of your company file.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager will automatically repair your firewall permissions.
- Then you have to select Close.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on both your server computer and your workstations.
Solution 4: Move your company files to your local hard drive
Move your company files to your local hard drive if you access your company file (.QBW) from a removable or online rive.
Important best practices:
- Keep your company file and other QuickBooks files on the hard drive of your server computer. Online file hosting services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box.net are convenient but they can also be problematic.
- Never keep files on external or external drives. In order to run QuickBooks or multi-user networks, external hard drives, USB flash drives, and Network Attached Storage [NAS] devices are not suitable.
- Do not encrypt the hard drive that houses your QuickBooks files. This may block your connection to a multi-user network.
You can also connect with the team of QuickBooks error consultant to get the solution directly call. They are available 365 days a year to help you all the time whenever required. You can also do a live chat or send an email. They are happy to serve you the best.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is QuickBooks error 6189 and 816?
The message An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file(-6189, 816) there is an issue with your multi-user network, not with your data file.
What does QuickBooks error code 6189 819 mean?
QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 can also be brought on by Windows registry issues, malware/virus infections, or damaged Windows operating system files. The Windows drivers needed to operate QuickBooks are missing. This issue could appear if the transaction log file or company data file for QuickBooks is corrupt or missing.
How do I fix error code 6189?
It’s possible that someone else opened it. In order to use the company file at the same time, you should ask that user to switch to multi-user mode. The file might alternatively be kept in a network folder that is read-only. If it is, request that the file be made available from your system administrator.
Get instant assistance with QuickBooks accounting software. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24x7 and resolve issues within minimum turnaround time. We support both US & Canada Editions of QuickBooks Software.We get help you on these QuickBooks accounting topics
- Import and Export
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Upgrade & Update
- Payroll Solutions
- Data Recovery and many more.