QuickBooks search sometimes freezes and doesn’t work. If the search option is not working user is unable to search files, customers, transactions, etc. It may take a quite long time to search manually. But don’t worry you will get the solution to QuickBooks Search not working. Go ahead step by step and at the end of the article, you can easily solve the error “QuickBooks Search not working”.
- 1 Symptoms, Causes, and Methods to fix Error “QuickBooks Search not working”
- 2 How to Fix “QuickBooks Search Not Working”
Symptoms, Causes, and Methods to fix Error “QuickBooks Search not working”
At this point, you will know at what instance error can come and how to identify it.
- When you restarted your QuickBooks
- When you are trying to index
- While checking firewall settings
- At the time of QuickBooks reinstallation
Why QuickBooks Search Doesn’t Work?
The error “QuickBooks Search not working” generally comes while QuickBooks Desktop is being updated on your computer when the updating of software is not done properly. There could be many reasons behind the Error “QuickBooks Search not working”. Some common reasons are mentioned below.
- While updating the QuickBooks Desktop version you took the wrong steps to update
- Third-party QuickBooks
- There could be damaged search index in QuickBooks
- QuickBooks search not working
- Registry error with PC windows
- Interruption of Firewall Windows
NOTE – Make sure to update the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release before proceeding ahead to the solution part. While updating, check the system’s date and time if it is correct.
How to Fix “QuickBooks Search Not Working”
There are many methods to resolve this issue. However, some of the most successful and common methods are given below to follow.
Method 1 – Change QuickBooks Search Index File Name
First of all, it is required to check the name of the index file and if there is a problem with that, then need to change the QuickBooks File.
- Open your QuickBooks
- Close your company file
- Go to the Start menu by pressing the window button
- Now, search for file .search index which is available inside folder Programs and files. Doing this step will get the file into the computer’s folder and drive.
- Now follow the path C:\Users\UserName\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company File. You will get the file with your company file name XXXXXXXXXX.QBW at this location.
- Search the file named with qbw.SearchIndex, rename it with .OLD at the end of the filename
- Open QuickBooks and then the open company file
- Go to the left side corner and by clicking on that option update search information
- Let the information update, click ok if you receive any notification message while the update process
- Once the update is done, retry to search any file in QuickBooks
Now again check if the problem persists or not. If yes go to the next method.
Method 2 – Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks
In this method first, you need to uninstall QuickBooks Desktop by using the below steps.
- To uninstall the QuickBooks press the Start button
- Now, go to Control Panel
- Click the options program and features
- Select QuickBooks
- Finally, click on uninstall
- Once the program is uninstalled, download a new QuickBooks package through the official website.
- After downloading the complete file, double click on it and follow steps to get the installation done
Alternatively, QuickBooks clean install tool also helps to refresh the application and remove any issues if exists. After this step still search option is not working. Go to the next steps.
Method 3 – Disabling Firewall Temporally
- To close the firewall protection, simply go to the start button >>> get the Control panel option >>> get the firewall option and switch off it.
- Once the firewall is disabled try to open QuickBooks and again check for search features.
Method 4 – Fixing Windows Damaged Registry Files
As above mentioned this error also comes due to a damaged windows registry in Windows operating system. If this happens then you are required to repair the damage. You can easily reach out to the QuickBooks Helpline number.
Method 5 – Use Incognito Window
If still you are unable to use QuickBooks, try using the incognito window. You can use any web browser. Below are some shortcuts mentioned for different web browsers to open the incognito window?
|Browser Name||Keyboard Shortcuts|
|Safari||Command + Shift +N|
Method 6 – Steps to Clear Browser’s Cache
If still you are unable to use QuickBooks you can clear your web browser’s cache. Steps are given below for the Google Chrome browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Now, go to the top right corner and click on three dots icon.
- Now, choose “More tools” option from the given list.
- Go to More tools >>>> “Clear browsing data” option.
- Adjust time period for which you want to delete the browsing data
- You can select basic, advanced-cache, and history as per the requirement.
- For basic cache select all boxes and click the Clear data option.
- To clear all cache, unnecessary history go to advanced tab >>>> check mark all the boxes.
- Now click “Clear data”. At this point, the system may take some time to finish according to data size.
- Once the process is done your cache is deleted.
For any help feel free to connect via live chat with QuickBooks experts. QuickBooks team members are available 24*7 to assist you with all the issues related to QB. Executives are polite, professionals, educated, trained, and having many years of experience which enhances problem-solving skills. Also connect via Live Chat with QuickBooks technicians so get the resolution as soon as possible.